Video: Cowherd - Cowboys future is confusing

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dak has a lot of things to improve on.

That being said. He is a much much much better QB than Tebow was.

It’s not close.

Tebow was that bad.
Don't know about much much better though. I'll agree better though. Everything else is similar though like Colin said. I bet if we were Broncos fans this board would look similar to whats going on now with Dak back then esp with the winning streak they had.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dak is signed long term, I sure hope he never loses his legs in that time frame. We are all in for a rude awakening if that happens and it will sooner or later. Imagine a one-dimensional passing Prescott :angry:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't see the impending disaster a lot of fans see in extending Dak Prescott.

He's not going to command Kirk Cousins type money. He's going to get a Case Keenum-type deal, just longer term. Load it up with incentives so Prescott can essentially bet on himself.

And make the last few years voidable to protect the Cowboys in case he doesn't live up to the contract. Simple. Done. Move along.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
All of you that think that Cowherd is a good football analyst or that Tebow is anywhere near Dak, please contact me about the pristine beach-front, tropical property that I am selling for pennies an acre in North Dakota!

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
But not as drunk as Jerry for wanting to extend Dak. Jerry learned nothing w/ the Romo contract.:rolleyes:
You have to pay for QB's in this league.........I would much rather stick with Dak than go through the Weeden and Cassel's all over again......we know he can play in this league and is respected by his teammates..........competent coaching would help him more than anything.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't see the impending disaster a lot of fans see in extending Dak Prescott.

He's not going to command Kirk Cousins type money. He's going to get a Case Keenum-type deal, just longer term. Load it up with incentives so Prescott can essentially bet on himself.

And make the last few years voidable to protect the Cowboys in case he doesn't live up to the contract. Simple. Done. Move along.

Take it you didn't hear Cowherd yesterday....Dak has the 3rd most wins of any starting QB in the last 3 seasons. Let that sink in....He isn't gonna "settle" for Keenam money. He's gonna want to get paid. No way do I take the cheese...and invest that kind of coin in a fumbler. :rolleyes:

rags747

Reaction score
Cowherd is totally right on with his analysis. There is not another team in the NFL that will give Dak a contract at $20m per year and I think he will get even more from Jerry. Dak had his best game last night in at least 1.5 years and yet it was still far short of greatness. All heart and guts and a leader of men but he falls far short at quarterbacking, but he has shown improvement in the past 3-4 games. This defense is ready now to play Super Bowl winning football, in the end I think we will fall short in the scoring points department. So close and yet so far...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was going to post this. Cowherd is right. Unfortunately we don't have talent evaluators in Dallas so this won't be known until well after the fact.

rags747

Reaction score
Dak is better than Tebow, but not by a huge margin.
Agreed, Dak can throw the ball better than Tebow. Is there anyone else in the league that Dak can throw better than?
I was going to post this. Cowherd is right. Unfortunately we don't have talent evaluators in Dallas so this won't be known until well after the fact.
Im not so sure about that. I think the talent evaluators in Big D are very very familiar with what Dak's strengths and weaknesses are, behind closed doors they know exactly what they have in Dak. What they are hoping to do is to keep it simple, have a dominant run game and have a dominant defense and have Dak manage the game...Nothing more. That is why I am so surprised that they will sign him for big bucks as in the end I don't believe they can get a SB out of this strategy. This team right now would have to be the favorite for the SB this year if we had a young gun qb.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed, Dak can throw the ball better than Tebow. Is there anyone else in the league that Dak can throw better than?

Im not so sure about that. I think the talent evaluators in Big D are very very familiar with what Dak's strengths and weaknesses are, behind closed doors they know exactly what they have in Dak. What they are hoping to do is to keep it simple, have a dominant run game and have a dominant defense and have Dak manage the game...Nothing more. That is why I am so surprised that they will sign him for big bucks as in the end I don't believe they can get a SB out of this strategy. This team right now would have to be the favorite for the SB this year if we had a young gun qb.

When they sign him to a big contract I'll be proven right.

They don't have talent evaluators running this team. This isn't my opinion. It's a fact.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I watched that segment earlier in the day. I think he has a valid point,what’s going to happen when things are on the down low again? Everyone is going to question that contact. So either he gets really good,and stays good,or Dallas is going to be in a jam. I want Dallas getting him a good vet as QB coach though,and much more work on re-defining his mechanics in the off-season. The fumbling issue has become a habit as well,and I think someone else could (and should) do a better job at helping him along the way than he’s had. He’s never going to be your hot shot QB of the league,but there’s still a lot of things there you can work on,to be a much more well rounded and effective QB. He’s not a loser either,he gets back onto the next plays and games every time,he just isn’t reaching the next plateau you’d like to see him at by now.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Or just let him hit the open market and pay him what other teams would be willing to pay him.

Nobody would give him a big contract.
I disagree. Dak saved the season in 2016. He has been a quality QB for 3 years now. Tampa would love a player like Dak. He just outplayed freeken Drew Brees. Cowherd needs to stop. The great Aaron Rogers is about to miss the playoffs again. The zones man crush corny Wentz has been exposed all season. Drew Brees has not won anything since he won the Superbowl. Let Dak play out the season. This team is getting better and better.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Take it you didn't hear Cowherd yesterday....Dak has the 3rd most wins of any starting QB in the last 3 seasons. Let that sink in....He isn't gonna "settle" for Keenam money. He's gonna want to get paid. No way do I take the cheese...and invest that kind of coin in a fumbler. :rolleyes:
That is why you can't compare him to Tebow. Timmy started like the final 6 games. Then Elway moved him. Dak is 29-15 as a starter. Comparing him to Tebow or Keenum is an insult.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I disagree. Dak saved the season in 2016. He has been a quality QB for 3 years now. Tampa would love a player like Dak. He just outplayed freeken Drew Brees. Cowherd needs to stop. The great Aaron Rogers is about to miss the playoffs again. The zones man crush corny Wentz has been exposed all season. Drew Brees has not won anything since he won the Superbowl. Let Dak play out the season. This team is getting better and better.

It’s all about the contract.

The Cowboys future depends on how low his contract is.

If he gets a big contract it will be bad. He’s not good enough to carry a team and the only reason he’ll get paid is because of the guys around him.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Don't know about much much better though. I'll agree better though. Everything else is similar though like Colin said. I bet if we were Broncos fans this board would look similar to whats going on now with Dak back then esp with the winning streak they had.

I guess you could split hairs over what “much better” means.

But let’s be real. Tebow couldn’t even stay on as a career backup in the league. Teams didn’t even want him as a backup. And that’s with having the reputation as a stand up guy, great leader, hard worker, etc.

He couldn’t even stay on as a backup.

Dak is a middle of the pack starter. Even if you don’t think he is a starter in the league, just about every team in the NFL would take him as a back up. I think we could all agree on that.

And people think Dak is inaccurate? Tebow didn’t even complete 50% of his passes in his NFL career.

So I personally think it’s safe to say he is a much better QB than Tebow was. Which again isn’t saying a whole lot because Tebow was a terrible QB in the NFL. Just atrocious.

Vomit

Reaction score
True but we couldn’t even win with a top flight QB because of that contract and how it restricted us.
I can’t disagree. It’s a conundrum. But don’t sign Dak long term.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Good video.
The next Tebow, Mark Sanchez, & Blake Bortles.
Cowherd is spot-on, & objectively analyzes the situation.

This is just intellectually lazy nonsense. Tebow has a career completion % of 48, Dak’s is 66%. Dak averages a full 2 more yards per attempt than Tebow did. Tebow’s QB rating was 75.3, Dak’s is 95.5.

There is no comparison whatsoever. Dak is orders of magnitude better than Tim Tebow.