Video: Cowherd: Is giving Dak a big contract a huge mistake?

Swagger

Reaction score
I know Dak can be very frustrating, but I have a feeling that if we had someone like Blake Bortles playing in place of Dak that you guys would lose your minds.

Dak is a top 15 QB. Let that sink in. That means that 15 other teams would love to have him. It also means that there are not enough good QBs to go around and there certainly aren't many backups that can even "place hold" for a game or two.

Eventuallly, teams are going to go with a totally different kind of backup instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and get guys who can pass a little but can run the hell out of the ball.

You could keep two of those types on the roster and if one went down it would be a "next man up approach" at QB and you would keep running it. There are plenty of those guys around.

No way is Prescott a top 15 QB in the league.

Name who he is clearly better than other than Bortles, Keenum and Manning...

Blitzen

Reaction score
Such a troll post.

Right? People that watch film and give their analysis based on the individual plays see a different story than what happened on the scoreboard at the end of the game. I just laugh at how much everyone thinks Dak contributes to these wins. He's got guts and tries hard.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is wrong. He had a better passer rating than rodgers, brady, and Brees during those superbowl years. If that's considered being carried than every except Wilson and mahomes is a bus driver.

BRees and rodgers have accomplished less than Wilson both numbers wise and winning wise.

The QBR doesn't tell the whole story.

It's easy to not force a lot and keep your QBR high when your defense allows 15.9 points per game. He only threw 20 TD's. Dak can do that.

Wilson was a bus driver that relied on defense and a run game.

Now he got paid and the defense is gone and the Seahawks are an afterthought.

He'd be great on our current team because he's still a lot better then Dak but I think Dak can close the skill gap between him and Wilson. Everything is basically identical except Wilson throws more TD's.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They have not been the team in the past that they are this year and that is because of MAhomes.

If you can't see he is a next level talent then that's on you. Not me.

I don't deny the talent around him but the talent around him is not whats making that offense click. It's him playing in that offense that is making that offense click.

Did you read my post, or just felt like you wanted to argue a point I wasn’t making?

I said nothing about Mahomes overall talent.

I said he hasn’t carried anything yet.

Is he or is he not part of a very talented offense? What has he carried so far yet? That was the question. Not about Mahomes overall talent.

I would also argue Russell is also very talented. The only physical negative he has, is his height.

He has a rocket arm, is smart, and has incredible running ability for a QB.

Of course Mahomes is extremely talented. But I wasn’t arguing about his talent level.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Mahomes just has far more ability and clearly has the upside to be Aaron Rodgers type elite.

Mahomes has talent to make plays and throws most QBs just can’t physically make.

Mahomes > Wilson and it’s not even close.

Mahomes is on a team that has also been to the playoffs how many times over the past 5 years?

Again Mahomes is awesome. But he isn’t carrying anything.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mahomes is on a team that has also been to the playoffs how many times over the past 5 years?

Again Mahomes is awesome. But he isn’t carrying anything.

He's elevating everyone around him.

The only argument that should be considered when it comes to Mahomes ability is how well he would do without Andy Reid.

Talent wise he's a complete player.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He's elevating everyone around him.

The only argument that should be considered when it comes to Mahomes ability is how well he would do without Andy Reid.

Talent wise he's a complete player.

Again, you’re arguing something different. I’m not arguing his talent. I agree he is extremely talented.

I’m asking what has he carried?

Kelce, Kareem Hunt and tyreek were already pro bo players before Mahomes set foot on an NFL field.

So what is he carrying?

conner01

Reaction score
What's the alternative?

I know some say tank for 2020, or suck until we find another decent to great one. But it's really not that easy.

Miami had Marino and then trash now for almost 20 years. Of course they made a huge mistake in 2006, but it's not like it was that obvious back then.

Tua/Fromm/Eason are not surefire guarantees.

Besides, Jerry loves Dak and will keep him. Unless Dak throws 4 picks a game here on out and then does something political/DV he's going to get an extension here.
Question is how much per year and guarantees.
That’s the delima
I think everyone wants a top 5 or so QB but they are hard to get
Tanking a season doesn’t guarantee you get one
Getting the number one pick doesn’t mean there is a number one QB gonna be there
And getting the best QB in the draft doesn’t mean he’s gonna be an elite QB
Ideally you sign Dak to a deal you can get out of in 3 yrs or so without much pain but that may not be possible
I think your only option is add more talent at TE and get an OC who can design an offense around dak’s skills and pray that works

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Again, you’re arguing something different. I’m not arguing his talent. I agree he is extremely talented.

I’m asking what has he carried?

Kelce, Kareem Hunt and tyreek were already pro bo players before Mahomes set foot on an NFL field.

So what is he carrying?

I don't believe I started the Mahomes carrying the team discussion.

Mahomes elevates an already good offense to a completely different level because of his extreme talent.

Russel Wilson was carried and basically a glorified bus driver in 2014 and he may elevate his team but he wont be elevating them to anything but mediocre.

If you want to compare Mahomes and Wilson then it's not even close from a talent perspective. Mahomes is an off the charts Aaron Rodgers / Brett Favre type talent.

Wilson is just a nice solid player that will do pretty good on a team like ours that just needs a QB but has everything else.

Dak can reach Wilsons level. It's achievable. Mahomes current level is not achievable for Dak.

cern

Reaction score
why does everyone think he'll get a 25 million deal? he's got 5 more games to play this year. (hopefully more) more than enough time for an audition.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't believe I started the Mahomes carrying the team discussion.

Mahomes elevates an already good offense to a completely different level because of his extreme talent.

Russel Wilson was carried and basically a glorified bus driver in 2014 and he may elevate his team but he wont be elevating them to anything but mediocre.

If you want to compare Mahomes and Wilson then it's not even close from a talent perspective. Mahomes is an off the charts Aaron Rodgers / Brett Favre type talent.

Wilson is just a nice solid player that will do pretty good on a team like ours that just needs a QB but has everything else.

Dak can reach Wilsons level. It's achievable. Mahomes current level is not achievable for Dak.

You implied it by listing Mahomes as being better than Russell and stating that Russell isn’t the type of QB who can carry a team. Making the implication that Mahomes is.

And maybe he is. But he hasn’t carried jack squat yet. He plays on one of the most talented offenses in the league.

And while I agree that Mahomes is extremely talented. I would argue that Russell is too. The only “negative” Russell has talent wise, is his height. Russell himself is also a very talented QB. He also has an excellent arm. Plus the mobility.

kskboys

Reaction score
I know Dak can be very frustrating, but I have a feeling that if we had someone like Blake Bortles playing in place of Dak that you guys would lose your minds.

Dak is a top 15 QB. Let that sink in. That means that 15 other teams would love to have him. It also means that there are not enough good QBs to go around and there certainly aren't many backups that can even "place hold" for a game or two.

Eventuallly, teams are going to go with a totally different kind of backup instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and get guys who can pass a little but can run the hell out of the ball.

You could keep two of those types on the roster and if one went down it would be a "next man up approach" at QB and you would keep running it. There are plenty of those guys around.
Yeah, but as the QB on a team runs more and more, the D's adjust and that running QB becomes less and less effective. We're seeing it now w/ Cam.

kskboys

Reaction score
Brady
Wilson
Mahomes
Watson
Brees

Those are the top 5 quarterbacks this season and proably going forward
Going forward? Man, I'm watching Brady and seeing a guy who now dumps the ball at even the slightest prospect of getting hit. Not sure he'll be around next season.

kevm3

Reaction score
Aaron rodgers must be a bus driver too because he hasnt won anything since the packers actually had a defense.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Because of dink and dunk passes. Any time he has to throw more than 10 yards, it's a toss up. Dude stop trying.
Here's Prescott's 2017 numbers for downfield passes by the way he's ranked #4 overall. The problem isn't Dak can't throw deep, he just doesn't do it very often but typically when he does it's usually a pretty good throw.

4. DAK PRESCOTT, DALLAS COWBOYS
Adjusted Completion Percentage: 46.5 percent

Yards: 534 (21st)

For the second year in a row, Prescott did not take many downfield shots, but he continues to show the ability to throw with good ball location to allow for big plays. He ranked just 27th in deep pass attempt percentage at 8.8 percent, and it’s likely time for the Cowboys to open things up for Prescott in the coming years.

Here is another article talking about Dak being a "dink and dunker"
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...nd-dunk-quarterback-or-do-the-stats-otherwise

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
The QBR doesn't tell the whole story.

It's easy to not force a lot and keep your QBR high when your defense allows 15.9 points per game. He only threw 20 TD's. Dak can do that.

Wilson was a bus driver that relied on defense and a run game.

Now he got paid and the defense is gone and the Seahawks are an afterthought.

He'd be great on our current team because he's still a lot better then Dak but I think Dak can close the skill gap between him and Wilson. Everything is basically identical except Wilson throws more TD's.
Will is averaging 30TD a season in his career. Include rushing TDS and it's 33TDs.

Even in his superbowl years he had nearly 30 not 20 passing TDs.

Russel takes this cowboys squad to the superbowl. Dak could never hope to be 75% as good as wilson.

Wilson craps on his deep ball, footwork, scrambling ability, and comeback clutchness

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Will is averaging 30TD a season in his career. Include rushing TDS and it's 33TDs.

Even in his superbowl years he had nearly 30 not 20 passing TDs.

Russel takes this cowboys squad to the superbowl. Dak could never hope to be 75% as good as wilson.

Wilson craps on his deep ball, footwork, scrambling ability, and comeback clutchness

Wilson threw 20TDs the year they won the Super Bowl.

15.9 points allowed a game is why they won the Super Bowl. Marshawn going for 1300 and 13 didn’t hurt either.

Wilson would definitely elevate this team to Super Bowl quality I don’t deny that. He’s good but he’s a high end bus driver.