Video: Cowherd: Is giving Dak a big contract a huge mistake?

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Wilson threw 20TDs the year they won the Super Bowl.

15.9 points allowed a game is why they won the Super Bowl. Marshawn going for 1300 and 13 didn’t hurt either.

Wilson would definitely elevate this team to Super Bowl quality I don’t deny that. He’s good but he’s a high end bus driver.
Wilson is a buggati if drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are mustangs. Dak is a Tonka truck.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I would wait as long as possible to make that decision. We still have a year and a half, which should be plenty of time to really know what he is.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Usually you wouldn't have this much controversy over a franchise qb.

I don't think the KC fans are trying to get rid of mahomes or Rams fans trying to get rid of Geoff

When ur franchise level. Everybody knows it.

It's like Zeke. Everybody knows he's the real deal. No arguments.

Ken

Reaction score
Mahomes just has far more ability and clearly has the upside to be Aaron Rodgers type elite.

Mahomes has talent to make plays and throws most QBs just can’t physically make.

Mahomes > Wilson and it’s not even close.
Maybe someday that last sentence is true...that day is not today. Wilson is better than Mahomes right now without a doubt.

Ken

Reaction score
The QBR doesn't tell the whole story.

It's easy to not force a lot and keep your QBR high when your defense allows 15.9 points per game. He only threw 20 TD's. Dak can do that.

Wilson was a bus driver that relied on defense and a run game.

Now he got paid and the defense is gone and the Seahawks are an afterthought.

He'd be great on our current team because he's still a lot better then Dak but I think Dak can close the skill gap between him and Wilson. Everything is basically identical except Wilson throws more TD's.
Yes because other qbs would elevate that team more than Wilson already has. LOL.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Maybe someday that last sentence is true...that day is not today. Wilson is better than Mahomes right now without a doubt.

That's just wrong and I really don't think I need to defend why it's wrong because it's so obvious why it's wrong.

Not only is Mahomes far more talented he's also far more productive.

He just hasn't hopped on his defenses back and got carried to a Superbowl like Wilson has.

Ken

Reaction score
Wilson didn't elevate anything. He just had to not mess it up for the defense.
I am referring to his current team. He is working with hot garbage and playing very well.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
That's just wrong and I really don't think I need to defend why it's wrong because it's so obvious why it's wrong.

He just hasn't hopped on his defenses back and got carried to a Superbowl like Wilson has.
Mahomes is going to get bounced out of the divisional round by desahun Watson. A better version of mahomes.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Desahun before his ACL tear on an offense with virtually no on-line was vastly better than mahomes.

Only reason he's not throwing for 45+ touchdowns this year is because of him rehabbing a 2nd ACL tear and Lamar Miller becoming a stud. Even then he's turned the Texans into a sleeping giant only 1 game behind the Chiefs.

Both Mahomes and Watson will surpass Brady and Rodgers.

Ken

Reaction score

He is more talented and productive. That doesn't make him a better qb.

Put Wilson on KC and they win the Super Bowl this year. Mahomes is not winning the super bowl this year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He is more talented and productive. That doesn't make him a better qb.

Put Wilson on KC and they win the Super Bowl this year. Mahomes is not winning the super bowl this year.

So he's a more talented QB. He's a more productive QB. But he's not a better QB and the Chiefs would have a better chance to win the Superbowl with a less talented & less productive QB.

Gotch ya.

Wilson might increase the Cowboys chances but he isn't increasing the Chiefs chances.

Ken

Reaction score
So he's a more talented QB. He's a more productive QB. But he's not a better QB and the Chiefs would have a better chance to win the Superbowl with a less talented & less productive QB.

Gotch ya.

Wilson might increase the Cowboys chances but he isn't increasing the Chiefs chances.
Mahomes has a lot to learn about reading defenses and playing the position.

That is very evident. Wilson doesn't have to learn that stuff and the talent gap isn't as wide as you seem to think.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score

Gotch ya.

Stop dude.

Official qb ranking

Wilson
Mahomes
Watson
Rodgers
Brees

Tom is a system quarterback does not count.

Period.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I dunno.

Dak is becoming like Garrett and the mainstream, and probably correct opinion, is that he's average at best.

You don't give average above average money. Especially when you haven't seen him do anything in the post season.
Then how do you explain kirk cousins, Garropolo, and the guy who was qb in Minn last year, now in denver?
They havent shown much and nothing in playoffs, except the guy in Minn and what he showed wasnt as good as dak was.

The bottom line is you either pay your hopefully good qb the big bucks, or you lose him and go with a unknown or has been FA.
Jerry is a salesman, and he can sell Dak better than the other available options.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
hes not wrong, did you listen, this wasn't JUST about the Cowboys, its about QBs with bloated Egos who want to be the highest paid Players in the NFL and cost the team achnace to build around them.. Hes advising Dak that even Brady, Brees, and Rotlesburger took smaller contracts by 10-12 mil over a AR to help the team stay in tact or to get more talent..

without bashing Dak hes saying Dak needs to not be greedy or even having a blurred visions of who he is as a QB..Looking at the 700k base he makes VS the others starters even rooks and 2nd year guys , I can see why he would want an extension early..He better not be looking for over 20 or the cowboys should let him ride , test his resolve, and let him threaten ahold out..

I know Jerry will try and make it right but Stephen will be in his ear for sure.. offer him an immediate raise for 2019 from 700k to say 15mil and say 4 more years(5yr deal reworked starting 2019) with escalating raises for each year say $19 yr 2, $20 yr 3., $22 yr 4, and $25 final year..give him the first 2 fully guaranteed and the rest partial guarantee..

I know this is backwards from the big front loaded contracts that makes the first two years of 5 the only true guarantees at large amounts but it is done in a similar fashion but escalating vs deescalating....

think about this, just occurred to me, Dak is technically making less than Maher..id be upset as well, regardless of where I fall in the ranks of starting QBs, hes making less then kicker and has a winning record..

thats ridiculous and I see now why Dak, his agents and Jerry see and early extension, hes earned more than 700k base salary for sure..regardless if he here past 2-3 more years, we would need a bridge to another option and that takes time..Hes more then serviceable, still has bit more room to grow, so its obvious he needs a raise..

like Cowherd said, just keep it fair and realistic..he can always rework it yr 3 of the extension if somehow he becomes a franchise guy..
yeah he makes peanuts compared to almost all other qb's . High round rookies make 4 mil a year or in that range.
To me after 2016 the cowboys should have given him a raise to 4 mil a year, and ask him to remember that when extension time rolls around.
But they didnt, I think maybe they helped with some endorsements.
Dak may take less money, if he wants to stay a cowboy, but he may not have to.
Depends on what jones boys decide to offer him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Then how do you explain kirk cousins, Garropolo, and the guy who was qb in Minn last year, now in denver?
They havent shown much and nothing in playoffs, except the guy in Minn and what he showed wasnt as good as dak was.

The bottom line is you either pay your hopefully good qb the big bucks, or you lose him and go with a unknown or has been FA.
Jerry is a salesman, and he can sell Dak better than the other available options.

I'm not a Cousins fan and I would actually take Dak over him.

He got a lot of money and he's on one of the best rosters in football and they may not make the post season.

Garropolo got a big contract after he performed at a high level to finish the season. What other option did San Fran have?

I think if you pay mediocrity you will just get mediocre results.

The better move is to just lose and draft.