Video: Cowherds take on the Adams trade

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Y'all would hate me as GM. I would've given up our next two late 1st rd picks for Adams.

I've never understood why some people are proud to announce to the world that they are intellectually challenged.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Adams > James

Talent wise they are really similar and James has one more season left on his rookie contract than Adams, but the biggest factor is that James has always been injury prone going back to college, whereas Adams has always been Mr durability.
Can't argue the health side as Adams has not missed games due to injury.

But when it comes to playmaking, impactful plays, I think James is clearly the more productive of the two.

Again, I would love to see either wearing the Star, but the narrative that Adams is the best Safety and a Top 12-15 player in the NFL, as Colin stated, was a bit, if not greatly, exaggerated IMO.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
At this rate I’m beginning to want him to test the market and see what other teams think of him. I honestly think we value him more than any other team. We can still outbid the highest offer if it’s within reason.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
How is his take on Dak anything but 100% correct? Last season was a disaster until we traded for Cooper. Dak is a good QB but he needs a ton of talent around him. That is the reason you can’t pay him top franchise QB money. You need several all stars around him to bring Dak up. The evidence for that has been consistent.
And, the evidence that this defense this season is far from great or elite. Right now. The offense is better off than the defense. The defense needs a lot more help. The QB is fine. He needs help, big deal. He's not Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers. I get it. Dak can still win games. But, when the offense struggles. There is no defense in town to spark up a few game changing plays.

Dak is still gonna get his money. Dallas gave 90 million to a guy who is shadow of his former self so far. Dak isn't going any where.

This defense is still the part that needs more players that are better than average.

Better coaching would help too.

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score
But when it comes to playmaking, impactful plays, I think James is clearly the more productive of the two.

Again, I would love to see either wearing the Star, but the narrative that Adams is the best Safety and a Top 12-15 player in the NFL, as Colin stated, was a bit, if not greatly, exaggerated IMO.
Sophmore vs rookie season stats. Time will tell who the better player is but I'll take the guy who isn't injury prone.

67442960_137923854125950_2012517699021664445_n.jpg

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That hasn't always worked against Booger, he could have had Paxton Lynch as his QB if he had stepped up.

With the Cowboys, you can't think of draft picks as numbers, like a 2nd rounder. They could have used that on Escobar and they did use it on Hill, a big ? right now. Adams isn't a ? and the Cowboys need to take sure things because the only thing we know they can pick on day 1 is OL.

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score
I've never understood why some people are proud to announce to the world that they are intellectually challenged.
He just turned 24, has 2.5 seasons of club control left on his rookie contract and has proven himself as one of if not the best player at his position already.

You sure about the two LATE 1st round picks? We'll be lucky if one of those picks pans out anywhere near Adams.

I can see both sides of the argument, but seeing your "intellectually challenged" comment above your sig, you seem to be pretty insecure in that area.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
It wasn't just the 1 pick.

For the 1st it's no problem.

The problem is when they take your entire draft.

If he was an actual impact player then go for it but i'm not giving up the farm for a guy that is just a sure tackler.

He doesn't cause turnovers or anything.
It's not the farm. A late first round pick is basically no different than a mid-second. A typical draft only has about 15-20 guys worthy of the title "first-round pick." Then it's just a hodge podge of mostly Connor McGovern types.

Adams is a top 10 caliber guy. He is a game changer. Stop looking at the stat sheet and watch this guy play. Tremendous player. He whipped our butts.

No way the Jets trade him for just a first rounder, especially to team that isn't going to be drafting that high.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's not the farm. A late first round pick is basically no different than a mid-second. A typical draft only has about 15-20 guys worthy of the title "first-round pick." Then it's just a hodge podge of mostly Connor McGovern types.

Adams is a top 10 caliber guy. He is a game changer. Stop looking at the stat sheet and watch this guy play. Tremendous player. He whipped our butts.

No way the Jets trade him for just a first rounder, especially to team that isn't going to be drafting that high.

We don't know what Connor MCGovern is yet but to me he looks like a starting guard for this team in the future over Connor Williams.

Michael Gallup was a 3rd rounder too.

If JAmal Adams actually made an impact and caused turnovers then i'd be all for it but i'm not giving up the farm for a Strong Safety that might tackle a little better then the guy we have.

Adams just proves that even the best SS in the league won't have a major impact on a football game just like Heath proves every week that he doesn't have a major impact positively or negatively.

If we're going to give up massive compensation for a guy then go get a player that puts pressure on the QB or takes the ball away from the offense.

If they wanted a SAfety then Minkah Fitzpatrick is who they should've gone and got when he was available. He's a dynamic player that can impact a football game more then Adams can and he was cheaper.

If the Jets accept a 1 this offseason then i'm all for it but giving up tons and tons of compensation for a Strong Safety in 2019 is just silly.

Big D

Reaction score
If we had decent DT play our current safeties would not be bad.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
We don't know what Connor MCGovern is yet but to me he looks like a starting guard for this team in the future over Connor Williams.

Michael Gallup was a 3rd rounder too.

If JAmal Adams actually made an impact and caused turnovers then i'd be all for it but i'm not giving up the farm for a Strong Safety that might tackle a little better then the guy we have.

Adams just proves that even the best SS in the league won't have a major impact on a football game just like Heath proves every week that he doesn't have a major impact positively or negatively.

If we're going to give up massive compensation for a guy then go get a player that puts pressure on the QB or takes the ball away from the offense.

If they wanted a SAfety then Minkah Fitzpatrick is who they should've gone and got when he was available. He's a dynamic player that can impact a football game more then Adams can and he was cheaper.

If the Jets accept a 1 this offseason then i'm all for it but giving up tons and tons of compensation for a Strong Safety in 2019 is just silly.
Some fans are just smitten with anyone that comes along in regards to trade rumors. I've watched Adams and he can be beat in coverage. He's not a game changer and is over valued by fans on this board. Give me a FS, DE or even an interior DL that is disruptive any day. Those are the difference makers on defense. CB also under the right circumstances.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Sophmore vs rookie season stats. Time will tell who the better player is but I'll take the guy who isn't injury prone.

67442960_137923854125950_2012517699021664445_n.jpg
I wonder if you have their Rookie season stat comparison? You know, to be on even terms as NFL rookies?

Never mind. I will use the above comparison you gave for their 2018 seasons, but I will add two more facts:
Pro Bowl - Both starters for the AFC
All Pro - James 1st Team | Adams 2nd Team

In any case, I think all you are proving is that Jamal is one of a handful of Top Safeties in the NFL. I've never disputed that. But I think it is silly to make him, or really any S right now, out to be the best safety in the NFL ala Ed Reed or Troy Polumalu.

I'm not accusing you of doing so, but Colin made it seem like the Cowboys passed on Ed Reed by not giving up a 3rd instead of a 4th (also, by all accounts, an incorrect statement as well). That was purely a hyperbolic statement made with the sole purpose to increase views / ratings.

Then add the report that another NFL Front Office stated that the Jets were asking way too much for many of their players, I tend to think the price was much higher than what Jerry or any other team should have given up.

But back to Adams vs James. If you like Adams more. Great. More power to you. I do NOT think that is a stupid, silly or weird position to have. And I would not complain if the Cowboys ever acquired Adams, nor would I, outside of just terrible play, talk about how we should have gotten xyz player instead.

Would you complain if the Cowboys acquired James instead?

ehwqkbmg

Reaction score
I wonder if you have their Rookie season stat comparison? You know, to be on even terms as NFL rookies?

Never mind. I will use the above comparison you gave for their 2018 seasons, but I will add two more facts:
Pro Bowl - Both starters for the AFC
All Pro - James 1st Team | Adams 2nd Team

In any case, I think all you are proving is that Jamal is one of a handful of Top Safeties in the NFL. I've never disputed that. But I think it is silly to make him, or really any S right now, out to be the best safety in the NFL ala Ed Reed or Troy Polumalu.

I'm not accusing you of doing so, but Colin made it seem like the Cowboys passed on Ed Reed by not giving up a 3rd instead of a 4th (also, by all accounts, an incorrect statement as well). That was purely a hyperbolic statement made with the sole purpose to increase views / ratings.

Then add the report that another NFL Front Office stated that the Jets were asking way too much for many of their players, I tend to think the price was much higher than what Jerry or any other team should have given up.

But back to Adams vs James. If you like Adams more. Great. More power to you. I do NOT think that is a stupid, silly or weird position to have. And I would not complain if the Cowboys ever acquired Adams, nor would I, outside of just terrible play, talk about how we should have gotten xyz player instead.

Would you complain if the Cowboys acquired James instead?
I literally wrote "Sophomore vs rookie season stats. Time will tell who the better player is but I'll take the guy who isn't injury prone."

Some players are known to have better rookie seasons than sophomore seasons so it'll take a lot more than comparing rookie years to determine anything.

I don't know how anybody can come to a conclusion about who is better on the field between them yet. Again, I would rather have Adams at this point because he's simply not injury prone like James.

CoachD

Reaction score
I lost a lot of respect for Cowherd after he said that Jimmy Garrappolo was a franchise quarterback and Dak Prescott was not and it's not because he said it but when he said it..........AFTER ONE FREAKIN GAME!! It was Dak's first start in the NFL and it was Jimmy Garrappolo's first start for the Patriots (starting for Brady Deflate gate). He came to his conclusion after his sample size was ONE GAME! Nobody does this because it's basically impossible to predict one's future after one football game win or lose.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
So let's start off with I heard widely different reports on what the Jets were asking for. As much as a first and two seconds. I will have to read the thread to see if maybe that was debunked.

Second, you have to realize that he only has one more year left on his deal. So you would at least have to get an extension done as part of the trade, and he isn't going to be cheap and depending on what you give for him, you're not going to be able to build through the draft to keep costs down.

Third, you have to realize we have more problems than just at Safety. Beleaguered as they are, the Cowboys are 7th in the league in points allowed on defense.

Fourth, before you start mortgaging your future, you need to make sure this is the QB and HC of the future. And I don't even think Jerry Jones is committed to that at this point. I think you're a week away from having fired Jason Garrett and maybe even trading Dak Prescott. I think the win over Eagles did tremendous damage to our team long term by giving Jerry some more patience. They should have fired Garrett and traded Prescott and Cooper both. Used those picks to let the next coach select his own QB.

kento40

Reaction score
He better be Ed Reed in his prime for a 1st and two 2's. The Jets are crashing and burning anyway and now they gave up a solid 1st and third. That GM must be on a special type of crack.