Crawford needs to restructure

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wood, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

8,424 Messages
    5,656 Likes Received
    We know this needs to happen but Dallas has to pick right time for it. Did they do enough in draft to make that call to Crawford? Gregory & Smith are still unknowns but Dallas did sign two DT in FA then added two more DL in draft. I think Dallas is close to having enough leverage to ask Crawford to cut his salary in half. Then Dallas has about $14 million to make run at Griffen?

2. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Well-Known Member

571 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Crawford has less incentive to agree to restructure now then he did before the draft. His value to the team has only increased over the past 3 days. The Cowboys aren’t going to cut him in favor Armstrong/Anae.

817Gill, jay94, tunahelper and 2 others like this.
  3. ClappingCarrot

ClappingCarrot Well-Known Member

4,696 Messages
    13,129 Likes Received
    I tend to agree.

Had we been able to retain Quinn, it'd be a different story.

Star Guard_31 likes this.
  4. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

5,873 Messages
    10,264 Likes Received
    I say just let him play out his deal. Crawford is a more valuable player than we give him credit for. Can play end or tackle; and right now is the starter opposite Lawrence. He hasn't lived up to his contract because he's been hurt some and isn't a flashy, big play type guy.

But Dallas has a new d-line coach in Jim Tomsula and he clearly wants Crawford here since a move with him probably would have been made by now.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,431 Likes Received
    His incentive to restructure is that he will get cut if he doesn't and the team will save 8 Million dollars if that happens.

Crawford as a reserve is very much a positive, but I think its very unlikely he plays at a 9 million dollar cap hit. He has seen that coming for a long, long time. It may be they are waiting on the medical reports or just had other priorities, but IMO he is a lock to take a paycut.

6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Moderator

81,692 Messages
    58,963 Likes Received
    No, he needs to be cut. Go join The clapper in NY.

I'd love to go against him twice a year.

7. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

17,927 Messages
    17,016 Likes Received
    Kicking the ball down the road on Crawford is absolutely the wrong thing at this point. He's coming of an injury that cause him to miss substantial time. Best case scenario is you let him play out his deal and get value OR you just cut him outright. In no way do you want to continue to pay him even longer though.

8. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

66,160 Messages
    76,536 Likes Received
  9. Star Guard_31

571 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I don’t think he’ll be a reserve. Even if some combination of Gregory/Smith get reinstated, he’ll likely start at RDE and shift inside on obvious passing situations. He and Lawrence are the only surefire 3-down lineman on the roster.

817Gill and Kaiser like this.
  10. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

16,620 Messages
    14,377 Likes Received
    Crawford said back at the end of the season that he is open to a salary cut.

I think at this point it's management that is holding back. Their best leverage will be in August, when Crawford has few options, and they probably want to see if he is even healthy enough to play. Hip problems are bad news.

I see someone else saying Crawford has better leverage now. I don't think so. He might get a little leverage if Gregory isn't reinstated, but I don't see a big need for him. I don't think we need tweeners. Gallimore means we need Crawford less.

Crawford won't get any leverage unless injuries pile up. He'll be a nice guy to have if he looks like he can play well and we can churn him for a pick next year. Much like Smith.

Cwby41, 817Gill and Wood like this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

16,630 Messages
    28,431 Likes Received
    I could totally see that but I do expect Aldon Smith and Gregory to be reinstated and start at that position. Dorance Armstrong or Anae could potentially surprise also but you are right that at his moment Crawford would start.

I just don't think they need him badly enough to overpay him by something like 5 Milllion dollars. Even Sean Lee took a paycut last year.

817Gill likes this.
  12. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

16,846 Messages
    14,466 Likes Received
    Can’t restructure a one year deal really
    You can cut him, extend him and cut annual salary or ask him to take a pay cut which isn’t very likely in his last year
    If you extended him you could cut his cap hit in half and have him two years
    I don’t think if you cut him he would get more than that over next two years but who knows

CF74 and Ranching like this.
  13. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

16,620 Messages
    14,377 Likes Received
    Coming off a chronic hip injury he couldn't play through last year, Crawford is not a sure fire anything.

If Gregory gets reinstated, he starts. He's the future. We have him for 2 years, and if he can play, Jerry probably plans on extending him. Jerry didn't hold onto him for years to watch him walk.

Reezy likes this.
  14. stasheroo

66,160 Messages
    76,536 Likes Received
    That's brilliant. Shift your 'starting RDE' away on passing situations. Because that's what good teams do, right?

:rolleyes:

luckyman76 and dallasdave like this.
  15. Star Guard_31

571 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    Tweeners are going be what allows Nolan’s new look defense to shift between multiple fronts.

Tweeners are trending up in the post Garrett/Marinelli era.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    buybuydandavis likes this.
  16. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

27,711 Messages
    72,159 Likes Received
    Lol... we have no DL depth. Why the hell would he do that? His salary isn't over the top anymore.

dallasdave and Star Guard_31 like this.
  17. Star Guard_31

571 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    The quickest path to the QB is a straight line. If your RDE combines the size to hold-up inside with the ability to penetrate then yes, it is brilliant.

Especially if shifting inside allows a fresh Smith or Gregory to fill his vacated spot on obvious passing downs.

817Gill likes this.
  18. stasheroo

66,160 Messages
    76,536 Likes Received
    "Lol" indeed. At what some people think isn't an "over the top salary" for an injured, backup, role player.

AKATheRake and dallasdave like this.
  19. stasheroo

66,160 Messages
    76,536 Likes Received
    Too bad he never actually gets there. It's moronic is what it is. And playing defense with one arm tied behind your back.

I can play Joe Jackson or Dorrance Armstrong at RDE in rush situations if I need to, for pennies on the dollar.

And one of them might actually get me a sack while they're out there.

dallasdave likes this.
  20. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

3,796 Messages
    5,382 Likes Received
    Lawrence
    McCoy
    Poe
    Gregory
    Aldon
    Gallimore
    Woods
    Anae
    Armstrong

That’s already 9 linemen who are 100% making the team. (I suppose Armstrong isn’t 100%, but the team loves him). That doesn’t include Crawford, Jelks or Jackson. If we add Griffin? That’s already 10. We don’t need Crawford. Griffin is a major upgrade and we can have him for about the same money as we’d save by cutting Crawford.