Crayton's in the dog house

Trip

Reaction score
After listening to Parcells press conference today, it's pretty clear he's trying to light a fire under Patrick Crayton.

He made a crack that he wouldn't use Crayton to return punts unless he needed a fair catch.

Then later he said Rector was playing for sure, maybe Hurd and he didn't know about Crayton, have to see how he does this week.

Then later a reporter asked what was wrong with Bradie James, and Parcells misunderstood and sternly replied "What's WRONG with Crayton?" The reporter corrected him before Parcells could let loose and said "What's wrong with Bradie James, why didn't he practice today?" Just got the sense Parcells was ready to tell that reporter exactly what was wrong with Crayton.

Parcells mentioned Crayton did some things in the last game he wasn't happy with. I've got the Minnesota game taped but haven't got around to watching it yet (proabably won't, preseason's over). Can anyone tell me what Crayton did? Fumble? Drop passes? Is he aggravated over Crayton missing so much time in camp? Opinions?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I think Bill just needs to have something to pick on to get them fired up.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Trip said:
Parcells mentioned Crayton did some things in the last game he wasn't happy with. I've got the Minnesota game taped but haven't got around to watching it yet (proabably won't, preseason's over). Can anyone tell me what Crayton did? Fumble? Drop passes? Is he aggravated over Crayton missing so much time in camp? Opinions?

The only thing I can remember that Crayton did wrong was on the first interception by Romo. It appeared that Crayton was confused on the route, did not run it crisply and then did not make a strong effort to reach the throw by Romo.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I didn't get that impression at all, I got the impression parcells was implying crayton has great hands. I got the impression that parcells really likes crayton and is beginning to get very pleased with the receiving core as a whole

Hiero

Reaction score
stealth said:
I didn't get that impression at all, I got the impression parcells was implying crayton has great hands. I got the impression that parcells really likes crayton and is beginning to get very pleased with the receiving core as a whole
that is what I got from the fair catch thing too, that crayton has sure hands.

Trip

Reaction score
stealth said:

Maybe I misread it then. Hard to tell with Parcells.

I know he likes Crayton a lot.

Seemed strange he kept making cracks about him.

goshan

Reaction score
I agree he is in the dog house.
The fair catch comment was definitely a jab at him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe BP is just mad because Crayton missed so much time in training camp and preseason. Being hurt just really irks BP big time.

braw

Reaction score
Trip said:
After listening to Parcells press conference today, it's pretty clear he's trying to light a fire under Patrick Crayton.

He made a crack that he wouldn't use Crayton to return punts unless he needed a fair catch.

Then later he said Rector was playing for sure, maybe Hurd and he didn't know about Crayton, have to see how he does this week.

Then later a reporter asked what was wrong with Bradie James, and Parcells misunderstood and sternly replied "What's WRONG with Crayton?" The reporter corrected him before Parcells could let loose and said "What's wrong with Bradie James, why didn't he practice today?" Just got the sense Parcells was ready to tell that reporter exactly what was wrong with Crayton.

Did not block well.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
It's really hard to get into Bills mind, especially when we aren't at the ranch every day and doen't see practise.

Two schools of thought on this subject. 1. Bill loves the kid and is trying to get him to raise his level of play. 2. Bill is getting frustrated with him. Bill seemed like he was loving what he did to start camp. Then he said Crayton was "full of himself". Then he got hurt and we all know how Bill feels about Crayton missing practise. At this point i think Bill is leaning towards replacing Crayton at the #3 spot. Probably not because Crayton is failing, but because Rector is coming on so well. Either way it's good that Crayton MAY be in a fight for the #3 spot. It will either raise his level of play or we will find out Rector has a bright future and Crayton becomes the 4th WR. The good thing about Rector is it looks like we can get some PR plays out of him where Pat looked kinda shaky last year in that role.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
My impression, and my observation over the past two years, is that if Rector turns it on Sunday like he did in preseason, we won't be talking about Crayton anymore because he'll be the 4th WR after Sunday....if that happens, he'd better hope Hurd doesn't start making plays because then Crayton better start watching the waiver wire and hoping no one interesting gets released.

Frankly, I think Crayton is way over rated on this board...he disappears for the majority of the season and really has only a few plays of consequence on his resume.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
My impression, and my observation over the past two years, is that if Rector turns it on Sunday like he did in preseason, we won't be talking about Crayton anymore because he'll be the 4th WR after Sunday....if that happens, he'd better hope Hurd doesn't start making plays because then Crayton better start watching the waiver wire and hoping no one interesting gets released.

Frankly, I think Crayton is way over rated on this board...he disappears for the majority of the season and really has only a few plays of consequence on his resume.

It's always a bit dicey saying what you just said considering most of us are homers:), but you may very well be right. Maybe not WAY overrated, but to some degree. I really like what i see from Pat WHEN HE"S HEALTHY. But he does have to continue to stay healthy. Another problem with Pat may end up being what "Got" Copper and that's UPSIDE. Bill proves every summer he's not scared to cut a guy that's been on the team a year or two if another guy has more upside. I think one very telling comment i've heard from Bill on BOTH Crayton and Copper is(and he's said this many times) he "Knows what he has" with them. IMHO that means they are role player type WRs without huge athletic skills and if someone more gifted comes along, look out.

superpunk

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Has Crayton ever done against first team competition what Rector has for us this preseason? In the preseason, of course, is what I'm talking about. Maybe he's never gotten the opportunities, or maybe he's never earned them. I thought Crayton could be a nice #2 receiver for us for a while, but he continues to disappoint after flashing some nice skills. Rector was Mr. Consistency in the preseason. We might be building a renegade band of undrafted WRs.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Has Crayton ever done against first team competition what Rector has for us this preseason? In the preseason, of course, is what I'm talking about. Maybe he's never gotten the opportunities, or maybe he's never earned them. I thought Crayton could be a nice #2 receiver for us for a while, but he continues to disappoint after flashing some nice skills. Rector was Mr. Consistency in the preseason. We might be building a renegade band of undrafted WRs.

I Like it!!!!!!!! The Renegades.

1114610.jpg
1114630.jpg

541357.jpg

2much2soon

Reaction score
Crayton just makes plays. I hope the other guys do as well, but Crayton has already proved he is a solid WR with a propensity for getting 1st downs and making big plays.
I hope he doesn't have chronic ankle problems though.

superpunk

Reaction score
2much2soon said:
Crayton just makes plays. I hope the other guys do as well, but Crayton has already proved he is a solid WR with a propensity for getting 1st downs and making big plays.
I hope he doesn't have chronic ankle problems though.

It's kinda like Julius, except ona smaller scale, as Crayton has never shown the kind of gamebreaking ability Julius has. He is a first down machine, though - unless Sean Taylor is hitting him. I like me some Crayton. He might just not have what it takes.

Trip

Reaction score
You have to include TO in there somewhere. He's the head renegade, that's what makes it so appealing.

TO and the Renegades.

Or TO, Terry and the Renegades.