Cris Carter on Dez: He's not a great route runner

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
CC knows what good route running is, but he's talking out of his *** here.

Dez can run any route just fine. Is he great? No. But neither is Julio Jones, who he compares him to.

Dez has never once blamed the system, the QB, or demanded the ball.

For some reason, the national media has been pushing that BS agenda for years with absolutely, positively no merit, and has been proven time and time again to be false.

CC hasn't done his homework at all.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
why is he qualified? what makes him special. He never won anything, never even played in a super bowl and that is your standard for players right?
Your criticizing a ex nfl player for criticizing dez. See the irony here? It's what most people do on forums one way or the other. From what I understand a WR can't win it all by himself. Either way yes I'm taking a shot at you.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Carter was pretty disrespectful to Dez on Shannon sharpes show. hes so full of himself after the hall of fame induction

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
Been watching a Dez and his contested catches every year which to me is the best indication of his route running deficiencies. There is always mention of the 50/50 ball in discussing Dez and for good reason. Dez has his strengths but CCs commentary is not difficult to believe. Dez is blessed with great physical tools and has leaned on those it appears without dedicating himself to suring up the technician part. Again, I am saying appears because maybe he has been but has just not improved enough for it to lead to more easy and more frequent pass and catches.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You have to be blind not to notice Dez has improved over the years. Is he a great route runner? no, but he's now up to the good area and is consistent for the most part which has helped the qbs know where he's going to be.

Thank You.

And that should be obvious by his rebuilt physique. He used to be a guy that was all about building muscle until Garrett instilled that he needs to be able to 'run all day'.

He slimmed down a bit. Learned more routes. Learned how to get the clean release that CC is criticizing him for (and forgetting he is injured). Learned how to operate out of the slot.

Dez has never blamed the coaches but I think the injustice was on play against NO in 2013 where Romo finally just audibles Dez into the slot because the coaches wouldn't.

It resulted in the biggest play of the game for us.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Seems like this offense is set up for WRs to take plays off at times.

You see Williams and Dez jogging or not even moving at times in order to create space for Beasley etc to operate.

As for not moving around because of his football IQ, I call BS. Dez has moved around some, but this coaching staff seems to be reluctant to do it.

One thing I hate is the way they run slants and come back routes. They are set to be run at certain depths, however that doesnt work nearly as well when a DB is playing behind that depth. If a DB is 10 yards off the LOS you cant run a 7 yard come back route, you need to push the DB up field so they turn their hips and cant jump the route, than turn. Same with slants we run 7 yard slant with a db 10 yards off, DBs are too athletic and close the separation far too easily

Last edited:

bsbellomy

Reaction score
CC knows what good route running is, but he's talking out of his *** here.

Dez can run any route just fine. Is he great? No. But neither is Julio Jones, who he compares him to.

Dez has never once blamed the system, the QB, or demanded the ball.

For some reason, the national media has been pushing that BS agenda for years with absolutely, positively no merit, and has been proven time and time again to be false.

CC hasn't done his homework at all.

Sounds like you are agreeing with Carter. I'm not sure if Dez could do anything better at this point why he wouldn't work at it.