Cris Carter on Dez: He's not a great route runner

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Sounds like you are agreeing with Carter. I'm not sure if Dez could do anything better at this point why he wouldn't work at it.

You're assuming he doesn't?

Dez has steadily improved every year, but has recently been derailed by injuries.

Some guys just run better routes.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Maybe Dez just needs to prove all his critics wrong. If he's the WR alot on here claim he is, that shouldn't be a problem, right? As long As he remains invisible, he'll get criticized.....

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dez is a much better route runner than he easily even just a few users ago. He'll never be clinical like Witten.

And despite all that he was the most productive wr in football before he went down and has had a lost few years.
Yawn. Dez is mercurial and undependable, physically and mentally.
He might be a decoy, with the ocassional catch, but nothing more.:angry:

slick325

Reaction score
Dez is a much better route runner than he easily even just a few users ago. He'll never be clinical like Witten.

And despite all that he was the most productive wr in football before he went down and has had a lost few years.

Out of sight...out of mind. Smh...how soon people forget.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Des so it's hard for me to chime in here butt he's clearly not the same receiver he was before the injury

I know he's not as tall as you'd like but what if you let him bulk back up and moved him to tight end he'd be super effective against linebackers and could become a huge part of the offense. honestly I'm afraid his days of being a standout wide receiver may be over.

spook930

Reaction score
And neither was his teammate Randy moss. Fact is they're different types of WRs.... excellent route runners, deep threats, gimmick etc. Moss and Dez are in the "Get them the d*** ball group.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Seven years in and this is now being discussed?

This has been an issue since they drafted him. Remember about year three when he was learning that crossing route of Jerry Rice? He talked about studying it and the team praised him.

Have you ever seen that route run?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So the cowboys just paid a guy 70 mil and they dont know how to use him, and his route running is maybe not very good?
hmmm
Well to me dez has always relied more on jumping,physical strengh,height, and his hands to just grab the ball.
He was mainly a physical receiver.
Then he gets paid, and gets hurt, about at same time, and since then he seems to have lost some of the above.
In this last game dak hit him in chest with a fast ball, coming across the middle and it just bounced off him.
Was the pass too hard ?

Dez may get his act together , but really no telling with him.
Also lately he wants pass int on every one he misses, and sometimes it is legit, sometimes it isnt.
In old days he would still grab them when there was interference.

luckily teams still dbl him , so he makes for a good decoy, and still catches some, so he still has value, just maybe not worth the money
he was given.
I am not sure but the guy in denver demarius thomas, has also not done much since being paid ??

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I watched all 22 last game. He was guarded one on one a lot but we kept running the ball. It is what it is. Dak isn't here to cater to Dez. Dez got his money so at this point it should be about winning. If anything Terrance Williams should be the one pissed off being in a contract year. Dez failed to capitalize on his chances last game. He needs to catch his targets. But honestly, if we hadJulio he wouldn't be what he is in Atlanta from what I saw from the coaches film.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I thought that they were very creative with Dez in the Skins game with slants and running him out of the slot. Hopefully they get back to that.

rockj7

Reaction score
Yall mad? This has always been one of the biggest knocks on Dez. That's why we can't "find a way to get him the ball" when defenses take him away. Gotta run great routes to get open.

Not to make this a bash Dez post but Dez is not the most mentally strong player either Seems that good CB can get in his head and so can refs