Video: Crusty's Corner: Broaddus Says Cowboys Might Lose Horn And Surtain

Rayman70

Reaction score
all we have to do is either stay at 10 or trade back a little and we still get a great player that helps us. No way should we move up.

Creeper

Reaction score
That's what happens when you don't fill holes in free agency and make it plainly obvious what you have to do at your pick

Exactly. The best thing to do is go into the draft with no glaring needs. This helps avoid reaching for a player to fill a need.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
agree. There is a reason he is not with an NFL team as a scout right now and for many years. He's not very good.Like the guy though. He's pretty entertaining.

Right! It’s not personal where I won’t listen to what he has to say. I just think he throws whatever against the wall to see what sticks and really has no clue. Like I said he said last week that we would give up a pick to go get Surtain at the top but wouldn’t give up a lesser pick to move back up into the 1st with no real reason.

Creeper

Reaction score
I do believe there is a good chance both Horn and Surtain are going to be gone by 10. Dallas has either made it too obvious that's where they were going or they pulled off the biggest pre-draft fake in history. I like Horn more than Surtain by a smidgeon, but both are good players. I actually like Farley the best, if his back is up to it. Big question mark though, and we have no idea what the Cowboys doctors are saying.

But if both CBs are gone at 10, it is not the end of the world. Maybe they can trade down, get an extra 2. The sweet spot in this draft is going to be late 1st to late 2nd round, which some good players dropping to 75 as well.

But I am with this crew on Parsons. I would not like that pick at #10. If Horn and Surtain are gone, it's trade down, or pick Slater, just not a LB or DL because none are worth the top 10 pick. Tyron, Slater, Biadasz, Martin, Collins lining up in front of Dak every week would not be such a bad thing. and there are CBs that can be had @ 44, although not getting a CB in the first may force them to trade up in the 2nd if one of the better CBs falls out of the first. Again, not an awful outcome.

If the Cowboys do go LB in this draft, let it be Bolton or Derrick Barnes later. They will bring a good attitude to the defense.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Just draft some other guy to play 10 yards off the receiver and give up underneath routes all game.

We don’t need Horn or Surtain to pull this off.

Exactly. I don't see why we are putting huge stock in drafting a CB especially top 10 to be a zone CB. Richard Sherman was what a 5th round draft pick?
Now if we are looking to run a man cover 1 or cover 2 defense most of the game then I am all for it. But if we are going to run cover 3 zone most of the game then just grab a zone corner in round 2-5.
Honestly if Parsons is there I would draft him. Parsons was a beast when he played. I hate that he didn't play last year but this guy was thought to as a generational talent at LB. After watching Jaylon and LVE (when he actually played). We need good linebacker play especially vs the run. And you can't count on LVE. I hope like heck we don't pick up his 5th year option.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
If both Surtain and Horn are gone at 10 and Sewell, Pitts or Slater are not there which would not make sense then there are still a QB or 2 other teams would want and I would trade back if possible with a team like NE for their 15th pick, Stephon Gilmore and maybe another pick for our 10 and Michael Gallup.

Then I draft Parsons, Moehrig, Barmore, Collins, Farley at either that pick or another trade down. I also use my additional added picks in the trade down or from the 3rd and 4 rounds to move back into the 1st and get anyone of those guys.

You then have a former SB champion and a top 3 corner starting for you. And 2 of either an elite LB, FS or DT starting. Collins and Farley are constellations as Gilmore is on a 1 year and parsons might not last that long and Collins has interest from us and we’re 65/35 on LVE until after the draft.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
There is literally no way to screw this up.

IF Sewell, Slater, Horn and PS2 (I’ll throw in Pitts to boot) are all somehow gone that means QB’s have fallen. Which means a trade back and adding more picks.
P.S. Broaddus is kind of an idiot
Exactly- this might not be an awful situation. Make New England and Chicago get into a bidding war to move up. Would definitely get an extra 2nd and more from Chicago.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
McCarthy talked today about needing to add speed. He mentioned the club already has guys with length and size. He didn't mention that in the context of a LB, but you could argue adding Parsons would fill that bill.

kumizi

Reaction score
in the top 9 will be: at least 3 QBs, Pitts, Sewell, Chase

if the other 3 picks are Slater, Surtain, and Horn

That's the only scenario I can think of where one of the guys you want isn't there at 10. Even in that scenario, there are 2 QBs left that several teams will be DESPERATE to trade up for.

cheyennes

Reaction score
5 qbs + 2 cb = Chase, Devonta Smith, Waddle or Sewell at 10 or trade down

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not.

Just exactly would moving up, say, 2 spots do? Pretty obvious the first 3 at least will be quarterbacks. That leaves every other position's top ranked players available, with only 6 picks ahead of Dallas. Let's see, Cowboys could use a DT, CB, LB, S, DE, OT. That's 6. And Surtain and Horn are both cornerbacks, so there's no less than 7 top prospects available, Dallas can get one of them.

Of course if some is hell-bent on getting Pitts, or Sewell or whoever, yeah you might need to move up to get them. But you aren't making the Cowboys on a level with the Chiefs, etc. with one great draft choice so take your bpa or need guy at 10 and move on to the next picks...

Croomraider

Reaction score
It's really no big deal if the corners are gone. We have a good feeling that 7-9 Offensive players could go before the Cowboys which would be extraordinary. The Cowboys basically have a top 5 pick! If you have a top 5 pick you better take a Parsons, someone who can completely dominate or trade down and take a less flashy player who fits your need. But sorry Zaven Collins is not a TOP 5 talent! Not even close! Hope that's a huge smoke screen.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's really no big deal if the corners are gone. We have a good feeling that 7-9 Offensive players could go before the Cowboys which would be extraordinary. The Cowboys basically have a top 5 pick! If you have a top 5 pick you better take a Parsons, someone who can completely dominate or trade down and take a less flashy player who fits your need. But sorry Zaven Collins is not a TOP 5 talent! Not even close! Hope that's a huge smoke screen.

Would agree it's no big deal if Surtain and Horn are both gone by the 10th pick. There are other corners that have maybe not the rating of the first two, but it's not like the Cowboys have Renfro and Deion on the roster with Carr and Kevin Smith as the backups. Diggs impressed some last year, but he's still pretty green, and the others on the roster? Nobody's thinking they will blossom into another Revis.

But it would certainly be better for the Cowboys if Surtain or Horn is there at 10...

DFWJC

Reaction score
What I took away most from that is how deep this CB class is.
8-10 starting quality corners? whoa
And so many are stacked in the late 1st to late 2nd rd window that it should be easy to land one at 44 if we don't go corner at 10.