Crypto exchange FTX collapses

kskboys

Reaction score
what a joke.
Privately owned enterprises of his sort are notoriously prone to crookedness.

You see, you are thinking I'm saying govt is trustworthy. They are not, but would be better than privately owned in this situation.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Put me in the camp of not trusting the Gov to run it. 100% digital currency and we will be in for a world of …T!
They are more trustworthy than the other options.

There are no other options than the central bank. Ask all the countries who tried to start their own currency or not take part in the central banks. Those countries get toppled and their leaders get assassinated, and most of them by the hand of our government, which shows who gives the orders

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least there's oversight of some kind.
The problem with crypto currency is everyone continues to view it as digital "currrency" when it is not. It cannot be a currency without government support.

Crypto is a commodity, not a currency, in much the same way that gold is but without the tangible benefits gold provides as a secondary value.

Sure, there are some places that would accept gold from you as a currency alternative, but like crypto, those are very limited.

If you walk into Walmart and offer to pay for your purchase directly using gold, they would tell you that you need to go sell it and return with actual money.

Most people assume that a commodity can become a currency if 1) enough people use it and 2) enough sellers accept it, but that's not the case. That's just bartering in lieu of paying.

Crypto is no different than investing in start-up businesses. You hope you pick a good one and hope that the people behind it are not scammers and that the security behind it and the exchanges that support it are strong enough they cannot be hacked.

I am not anti-crypto currency, but without regulation from some organization that can enforce those regulations and execute real consequences against those who mis-manage, steal, scam, etc. it is nothing more than a high-risk/high-reward investment platform.

kskboys

Reaction score
The problem with crypto currency is everyone continues to view it as digital "currrency" when it is not. It cannot be a currency without government support.

Crypto is a commodity, not a currency, in much the same way that gold is but without the tangible benefits gold provides as a secondary value.

Sure, there are some places that would accept gold from you as a currency alternative, but like crypto, those are very limited.

If you walk into Walmart and offer to pay for your purchase directly using gold, they would tell you that you need to go sell it and return with actual money.

Most people assume that a commodity can become a currency if 1) enough people use it and 2) enough sellers accept it, but that's not the case. That's just bartering in lieu of paying.

Crypto is no different than investing in start-up businesses. You hope you pick a good one and hope that the people behind it are not scammers and that the security behind it and the exchanges that support it are strong enough they cannot be hacked.

I am not anti-crypto currency, but without regulation from some organization that can enforce those regulations and execute real consequences against those who mis-manage, steal, scam, etc. it is nothing more than a high-risk/high-reward investment platform.
Good stuff.

And like it or not, the govt is pretty much the only one who can be even partially trusted.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Lots of money is missing. I think all principals understand rule one: Pay yourself first. Sam probably has a hundred million or so stashed in a secret place. And, of course, this young lady has almost certainly done the same thing:

Thumbnail.a8d5cab9.jpg

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
It's stunning that SBF is doing the media carousel, running his mouth like a dude with nothing to worry about. There has to be an investigation underway with extradition parameters being worked out with the Bahamas.

black label

Reaction score

get in and get out quickly has worked for me in these ponzi schemes, It took a while to learn the system

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Thank God I was too broke in undergrad when the crypto markets first started launching. I did it once for like $50 bucks just to see what it was about. The volatility is just not worth it and extracting that money from crypto is an even bigger hassle.

rags747

Reaction score
That is 100% what me n my buds have concluded. Crypto is one huge ponzi scheme.
Why are Governments getting involved then in digital currencies? I’m quite happy with my Bitcoin, but then again only invest what you can live without. Mr Wonderful Kevin O’Leary lost $15m by investing in FTX, he says that it is now worth ZERO! He doesn’t seem to be too upset, good for him!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Privately owned enterprises of his sort are notoriously prone to crookedness.

You see, you are thinking I'm saying govt is trustworthy. They are not, but would be better than privately owned in this situation.
Fidelity has been rolling out its Crypto exchange this month. Its pretty small right now and only offers Bit and Ethereum, but its a starting point. Black Rock, and Schwab, and possibly UBS seem to be moving in that direction as well. Crypto could become far more mainstream in the next couple years. That is going to be interesting to watch

triplets_93

Reaction score
FTX’s Gary Wang, Alameda’s Caroline Ellison plead guilty to federal charges, cooperating with prosecutors

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/22/ftx...ral-charges-cooperating-with-prosecutors.html

FTX co-founder Gary Wang and former Alameda Research co-CEO Caroline Ellison both pleaded guilty to federal charges in the Southern District of New York, U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said in a message Wednesday.

Wang pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit wire fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit commodities fraud and conspiracy to commit securities fraud. Ellison pleaded guilty to two counts of wire fraud, two counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, conspiracy to commit commodities fraud, conspiracy to commit securities fraud and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

The charges were released the same night that former FTX CEO Sam Bankman-Fried was en route from the Bahamas to New York, where he faces eight federal criminal charges from the same prosecutors who accepted plea deals from Ellison and Wang. The duo’s plea agreements were signed on Monday, the day that Bankman-Fried was originally supposed to return to the U.S. before a court hearing in the Bahamas devolved into chaos.