Culture, the culture of the locker room

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I tried this once before, it didn't come across too well. Let me see if I can make it a little bit better this time. Lol how important is the culture of the locker room?. How important is it for a player to fit in. Is camaraderie truly part of the game. What happens to these plays during the week on and off the football field . does it reflect , how they will play on Sunday. When you go on a job interview it's a two-way street in my opinion. Is the company right for me and my right for the company.

It is huge in my opinion. Look at Hardy. 1 season. Fighting on the sidelines with coaches and team mates. That is the stuff that ruins a team. Look at OBJ. An all time talent that gets traded in the prime of his career? Makes no sense unless you factor in how toxic he was to the team. Every year we heard about how great that offense was about to become. 6, 6, 11, 3, 5. Those are the Giants win totals while the great OBJ was there. Culture is huge!

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Lol how important is the culture of the locker room?. How important is it for a player to fit in. Is camaraderie truly part of the game..

IMO the biggest detraction of a bad culture is it gets in the way of important work you need to do.

It is a time sucker, an energy waster and blurs your vision.

You end up focusing on the wrong stuff, and the results at the end of the day shows that you have focused on the wrong stuff.

It's not good or bad guys on the team, this is much more about the leadership and being able to offer clear objectives and vision for the guys.

This is the brilliance of the Patriots. They have a very central, focused and unwavering vision and leadership team focused around one guy. BB.

How strong is this culture? He can bring in the NFL's problem children and give them a place where they can be successful for how ever long they are willing to stay within the bounds of the culture - doing your job...winning football games.

Now we know some players have *****ed and complained about the Patriots after leaving the team, but none of them were whinging and whining when they were part of a roster hoisting up the Lombardi.

To answer your question in another way...

Players, coaches come and go. Culture is established from the top. in a single year you can have a convergence of the right variables and win it all. To be a consistent winner like the Patriots means it comes from the top. You can never have a dynasty without culture.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tried this once before, it didn't come across too well. Let me see if I can make it a little bit better this time. Lol how important is the culture of the locker room?. How important is it for a player to fit in. Is camaraderie truly part of the game. What happens to these plays during the week on and off the football field . does it reflect , how they will play on Sunday. When you go on a job interview it's a two-way street in my opinion. Is the company right for me and my right for the company.

Hard to define it in regards to level of importance. Obviously it's very important.'

The Jimmy teams and Belichick teams all seem to have had great locker-room culture/chemistry.

The Wade Phillips teams were a disaster in regards to locker room culture/chemistry.
- They had an over inflated sense of entitlement despite minimal accomplishments.​

The Garrett teams have been much better than the Wade Phillips teams in that regard.
- Unfortunately most of that comes from acquiring team captains and dumping difficult players.
- Jimmy likely could have handled Greg Hardy and David Irving.
- Gregory is a different issue. I don't think any coach can resolve his issues.
- Gregory would like to stay out of trouble but just can't force himself to do it.
Locker-room culture was not a factor in the playoff Loss to the Rams.
That was coaching and to much inexperience on defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I replace airbags and modualus for a living. Remove crash pads from Cars after they Get in accident so people can go in in do the body work . and then I put the crash pad back. Not many people can take a dash out of a BMW or Mercedes. I love auto electrical
That's actually really cool! I'd like to watch something like that in action.

Whirlwin, good to know that the issue with your hands does not limit you too much.

I didn't know until a few years ago that the seat belts don't work after a crash that sets off the airbag, even a fairly minor fender bender.

All of the seat belts must be replaced. The auto is rendered non-functional due to the seat belts even if it's otherwise OK to drive.

Is the crash pad the complete air bag system?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Culture is a hard element to describe and team chemistry is a mystery and I doubt the importance of that. Culture, on the majority of teams, is defined by the HC and enabled by the owner and/or GM.

Back when Parcells took over, the owner couldn't stop him from changing the dominoes culture in the locker room and ended up losing the RB because of a culture difference. Back when Phillips tried to increase fines for players being tardy to meetings, his owner didn't allow a change of culture. Back when Garrett took over, he established a dress code as a culture difference and it was dismissed by the RB with no repercussions.

There you have 3 examples, which 1 best illustrates the man that establishes the culture that is expected of the team? The man you work for is the one that establishes the culture.

I think culture and chemistry are overplayed. The Chiefs didn't lose the AFCCG because of their culture which is the worst in the league, they brought in a player that they knew had beaten and choked a pregnant girlfriend, what type of culture is that? Now he's shown those stripes as the skunk he is and what's changed? Nothing, they will win on talent and players playing up to their talent level, culture doesn't enter into it.

That 90's team with the drug usage and white house was a petri dish for culture. That HC had a history, just like the one that followed him, of establishing a culture of no culture except show up for work ready to play. And leave the guns in the cars.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Culture has kept this team from giving up. Please think back to how the team just stopped trying under Phillips, forcing Jerry to have to fire him mid-season.

Like it or not, this team has not quit on Garrett. That speaks volumes to culture.
It does. Think what we could do with a real GM.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Whirlwin, good to know that the issue with your hands does not limit you too much.

I didn't know until a few years ago that the seat belts don't work after a crash that sets off the airbag, even a fairly minor fender bender.

All of the seat belts must be replaced. The auto is rendered non-functional due to the seat belts even if it's otherwise OK to drive.

I'm retired now that was 5 years ago. But people still call me and ask me Diagnostics. I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Free up some of the stiffness. But they still cramp now and then. But the burn the sting never seems to go away. Thank you military converting crawls. Monkey bars you have to do 84 in a row to pass your physical. You do a lot with your hands squeezing. Over the years the muscles get so tight so stiff. I blame the military because it we're its first started. But I don't receive any benefits or anything. I just never bothered putting a claim against it. Just didn't seem right

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Insurance should have covered the seat belt replacement. Know the crash pad is what your intimate cluster your radio and your airbags sit in. From the windshield to the steering wheel. That's a crash pad. People get very nervous taking out heating controls radios instrument clusters center consoles. I made very good money doing it most wouldn't know how to begin to take them out. Never mind a wiring harness behind it. I have over 40 years experience

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Yes if the airbag goes off you need to replace the airbag module and any seat belts where people were sitting. Only a Volvo airbag module can be used more than once. You're allowed three accidents before you have to replace it. I hope nobody was seriously hurt my cowboy brother

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Chemistry plays a huge part in a winning team. Don't think Jerry has ever understood that....For every Jason Witten that has tried to do it the right way..He'll sabotage the team w/ a Greg Hardy or David Irving or Gregory or McClain...god the list of jerkoffs is endless.

Jerry has never been a guy to run a clean ship...hence the Super Bowl drought. :rolleyes:
85 Bears...that was a divided locker room

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hard to define it in regards to level of importance. Obviously it's very important.'

The Jimmy teams and Belichick teams all seem to have had great locker-room culture/chemistry.

The Wade Phillips teams were a disaster in regards to locker room culture/chemistry.
- They had an over inflated sense of entitlement despite minimal accomplishments.​

The Garrett teams have been much better than the Wade Phillips teams in that regard.
- Unfortunately most of that comes from acquiring team captains and dumping difficult players.
- Jimmy likely could have handled Greg Hardy and David Irving.
- Gregory is a different issue. I don't think any coach can resolve his issues.
- Gregory would like to stay out of trouble but just can't force himself to do it.
Locker-room culture was not a factor in the playoff Loss to the Rams.
That was coaching and to much inexperience on defense.
What I was really going after current I just didn't know how to let's say say it LOL off-field interruptions. Do they affect Sunday's game. I guess it depends if you let things bother you and not as an individual. Focus focus focus. Penalties. You can't let whatever happened prior Sunday show up on Sunday.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What I was really going after current I just didn't know how to let's say say it LOL off-field interruptions. Do they affect Sunday's game. I guess it depends if you let things bother you and not as an individual. Focus focus focus. Penalties. You can't let whatever happened prior Sunday show up on Sunday.
Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Just read your last sentence and I have to disagree with that. The 90s teams were full of bad attitude/drug related issues.... They won 3 in 4 years. The drought isn't because of not having clean guys. Romo, Ware, Witten, Austin all guys that were high character and didn't win anything.... Until Ware went to Denver and got a ring

Yup. I would have been terrified to even go in the same locker room with Charles Haley.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Yup. I would have been terrified to even go in the same locker room with Charles Haley.
I think some guys throw crap at the wall and see if it sticks. They allow their emotions to dictate what they say instead of steady research and facts.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Chemistry matters but sadly it’s so hard to acquire that with contracts and free agency and trades. I think we’ve got as good a chemistry as you can have in the modern day NFL

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's incredibly overrated and driven by people's desire to have narratives.
Teams that don't get along and win are "a bunch of competitive guys"
Teams that don't get along and lose "have a bad locker-room culture."
Teams that get along and win have "great culture."
Teams that get along and lose "don't care enough, they're just happy collecting a paycheck."

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Insurance should have covered the seat belt replacement. Know the crash pad is what your intimate cluster your radio and your airbags sit in. From the windshield to the steering wheel. That's a crash pad. People get very nervous taking out heating controls radios instrument clusters center consoles. I made very good money doing it most wouldn't know how to begin to take them out. Never mind a wiring harness behind it. I have over 40 years experience
Step-Daughter ran into the back of a pickup at a relatively low speed.

There was such minimal damage externally an insurance claim might not have been required; however, the cost of the Airbags and Seat Belts made the insurance claim a definite necessity.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The impending Zeke suspension in 2017 affected the entire team.

That seemed obvious from the All or Nothing series.

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
You can have chemistry with enigmatic personalities. You just need the right people around them.