Culture, the culture of the locker room

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally disagree with you. Have not ever seen a divided locker room win anything.
I was strictly talking football I'm sure there are some crazy locker rooms that thrive baseball is really not a team sport like football in my opinion. You're all alone in that batter's box. But I guess you're right Never Say Never And there's always exceptions
I also think our perceptions are filtered through the team and media narratives, and the causality arrow goes the other way.

Winning creates chemistry and papers over all sorts of possible locker-room frictions. It's only when you start losing that all the perceived slights and personality conflicts start coming out, because everybody's already cranky and sensitive and looking for things to blame the losing on.

I'm not sure locker room chemistry gets much worse than Michael Irvin stabbing his teammate in the throat with a pair of scissors. The Cowboys went on to make the playoffs that year after going 6-10 the previous year.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I also think our perceptions are filtered through the team and media narratives, and the causality arrow goes the other way.

Winning creates chemistry and papers over all sorts of possible locker-room frictions. It's only when you start losing that all the perceived slights and personality conflicts start coming out, because everybody's already cranky and sensitive and looking for things to blame the losing on.

I'm not sure locker room chemistry gets much worse than Michael Irvin stabbing his teammate in the throat with a pair of scissors. The Cowboys went on to make the playoffs that year after going 6-10 the previous year.
Well obviously our perceptions out through the media and fans unless we have inside information.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I read that book. Actually had that point time when Michael stabbed Michael stab the guy with the scissors we didn't win a Super Bowl after that. that was the year before Emmett left and it was Emmitt that instigated that. LOL how do you let a rookie get in front of you

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

But I was thinking about it more than just a locker-room chemistry. Even individual feelings before the game. Did I get in a fight with my wife. LOL everything affects your attitude. So

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read that book. Actually had that point time when Michael stabbed Michael stab the guy with the scissors we didn't win a Super Bowl after that. that was the year before Emmett left and it was Emmitt that instigated that. LOL how do you let a rookie get in front of you
It was 1998. Smith didn't leave until 2003. Dallas was far removed from Super Bowl contender days by then, though. 1998 was the best season they had between '96 and '03.
And it wasn't a rookie. It was Everett McIver, new to the Cowboys but a veteran.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was 1998. Smith didn't leave until 2003. Dallas was far removed from Super Bowl contender days by then, though. 1998 was the best season they had between '96 and '03.
And it wasn't a rookie. It was Everett McIver, new to the Cowboys but a veteran.
Yes but Emmett did instigate it. And yes Emmett called him a rookie. He said are you going to let that rookie go before you

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I have issues myself. Attention deficit. I worked through it. Charles Haley was one of my favorite players. I forgot the story of him and the strong safety on San Francisco. They were great friends but even he was afraid of him. you just never knew when he was going to flip. And not flip like truly mental just flip into one of his moods
I was talking about some other that no one mentioned like Hollywood. In defensive players a little crazy is needed though

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was talking about some other that no one mentioned like Hollywood. In defensive players a little crazy is needed though
I actually think we had more over-the-top players on offense than we've ever had on defense. Eric Williams right tackle Larry Allen I think he was a little unstable.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thank you for refreshing my memory. Too many years don't get old LOL I watched my first game in the military overseas. I guess I was 17