Cut Day Thread

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I suppose the 3rd was referring to Damonte Clark but I would think he is on PUP or already on IR and has no bearing on cutdowns. That means they cut 4 players likely to be brought back and only have 2 spots opening up for IR players. One or two spots will have to be opened tomorrow to bring everyone back. That suggest they are working on a trade. They went long at several positions.

Cowboys Candidates for short-term IR designation
  • OT Tyron Smith
  • CB Kelvin Joseph
  • LB Damone Clark
  • WR Michael Gallup
  • WR James Washington
The Cowboys have indicated that Michael Gallup will NOT be put on the short-term IR list, but that still leaves 4 players that have to be on the initial 53 man roster for 24 hours after today at 3pm, before being placed on IR. So, the Cowboys cut 4 players they can bring back: Backup QB, Kicker, Long-snapper, and either or both of DT Carlos Watkins and CB C.J. Goodwin.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Remember...Ridgeway is Jerrahs pet hog. He’s in the org in some capacity even if it’s just pouring JJs blue...

How many Razorbacks has Jerry drafted in the last 34 drafts? 2? 3? 4? Felix Jones, Ridgeway, and maybe a couple of others? This track record hardly supports the idea that Jerry Jones is sweet on Razorbacks.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It costs nothing of competitive value to keep him here and plays well with the fan base. I wish he was better but it doesn't hurt in any way to keep him around.

He's been here for what 3 years now? He was atrocious in the preseason. How isn't it better to give another person a shot? At least with them you have a shot at improvement.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Alarcon is exempt and converts directly to the PS at the cutdown time so no need to cut him. Just one or two more if we claim someone.

I thought his international exemption had expired. Maybe i was mistaken.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys Candidates for short-term IR designation
  • OT Tyron Smith
  • CB Kelvin Joseph
  • LB Damone Clark
  • WR Michael Gallup
  • WR James Washington
The Cowboys have indicated that Michael Gallup will NOT be put on the short-term IR list, but that still leaves 4 players that have to be on the initial 53 man roster for 24 hours after today at 3pm, before being placed on IR. So, the Cowboys cut 4 players they can bring back: Backup QB, Kicker, Long-snapper, and either or both of DT Carlos Watkins and CB C.J. Goodwin.

It appears I was wrong about Clark. He was on the NFI list, so he will be one of the short-term IR guys. Don't think we'll IR Gallup based on what Jerry said. Not sure about Joseph. Would we do that for a concussion? I would think Mukuamu's groin injury would be more likely to be an IR thing because those can linger. Of course, how long did we keep David Irving on IR with a concussion?

gimmesix

Reaction score
How many Razorbacks has Jerry drafted in the last 34 drafts? 2? 3? 4? Felix Jones, Ridgeway, and maybe a couple of others? This track record hardly supports the idea that Jerry Jones is sweet on Razorbacks.

I decided not to waste my time responding to the idea that Jerry is sweet on Razorbacks. Evidence shows that it's not true, but some continue to believe it anyway. They kept Ridgeway because he's a big man who they hope can develop into a quality nose tackle. Some developmental players do get kept on the roster because teams aren't willing to risk him. As Parcells once said, there are a limited number of football players his size in the world.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
It appears I was wrong about Clark. He was on the NFI list, so he will be one of the short-term IR guys. Don't think we'll IR Gallup based on what Jerry said. Not sure about Joseph. Would we do that for a concussion? I would think Mukuamu's groin injury would be more likely to be an IR thing because those can linger. Of course, how long did we keep David Irving on IR with a concussion?

I'm not sure Clark will go on IR. He could go on the NFI list and not count towards the 53 and I don't think Joseph is going to IR for a concussion. He may be ready to go week 1.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I kind of like the way we did this, especially with the QBs. There are some fringe players I didn't want to risk to waivers, such as Dennis Houston, Devin Harper and even Big John Ridgeway. As is, I don't like risking Malik Davis (who I would have kept over Dowdle) and Brandon Smith, but you can't keep everybody, so you've got to cut the players you think have the best chance of getting through waivers.

It will be interesting to see who we IR or who we don't bring back among the "procedural" moves (Maher, McQuaide, Goodwin and Rush/Grier). Hope we put DiNucci on the practice squad at least, but he'd be the QB I'd bring back if we keep a second on the active roster. (Remember that we can bring players on the PS up for three games each.)
Yes, Credit where credit is due!
Seems like a smart way to play this.
Good job front office!

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
They kept Rico Dowdle, but cut Malik Davis?

Mistake.
I dont know , i thought so first too, but may be cutting him early enough , he may find his way to PS. But will be poached if any team loses RB

Jarntt

Reaction score
I'm not sure Clark will go on IR. He could go on the NFI list and not count towards the 53 and I don't think Joseph is going to IR for a concussion. He may be ready to go week 1.
I'm not so sure I agree with you about Joseph. You never know with concussions. If we have the 3 above him and the team likes Bland as much as they say we could use it to our advantage to put Joseph on IR for now if there is any chance he won't be ready. I think you can designate up to like 8 guys to return now with the new rule.

gimmesix

Reaction score

You may be right. I wasn't sure how NFI worked, but found this:

Players on the reserve/non-football injury or reserve/non-football illness lists are ineligible to practice or play in games for the first six weeks of the regular season. After six weeks, a player can begin practicing with their team but cannot be moved to the active roster until after the team has played its first eight games of the season. When a player starts practicing, a three-week window begins in which the player can be moved to the active roster. If a player does not get activated after the three-week window ends, they must remain on the reserve/NFI list for the rest of the season. Only up to two players from the NFI lists are eligible to return to the active roster for each NFL team.[1] NFL teams are not required to pay base salaries to players placed on the reserve/non-football injury or reserve/non-football illness lists.[2]

If we are keeping him on NFI, though, I don't think he counts against the 53, so he's not one of the players we'd move to make room to bring back a player ... so I've still only got two (Washington and Tyron) unless we stash players like Mukuamu and Joseph with minor injuries.