Cut Day Thread

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You obviously didn't watch the 4th quarter of the Seattle game. That's not potential....that was some fat bully getting his *** handed to him.

Go back and watch Bohanna last preseason. He was just as bad or even worse at times. These late-round guys aren't all ready to go as rookies. The Cowboys don't want to risk him to waivers in hopes that he'll make the same kind of jump that Bohanna seems to have made.

I had him going to the PS, but it's understandable why they would think he wouldn't make it. He's a big man in a big man's game, so some team might think it's worth claiming him and developing him.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't remember those plays. Not contradicting, just don't remember. One possible explanation is that he had been in the game for a while by that point and his job is to take on blockers. None of them are ready to play a full game at this time. Could have just been exhaustion.
Wanna hang on to a guy that can give you 4 snaps....then turns into a blocking sled....

Got it...:thumbup:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Go back and watch Bohanna last preseason. He was just as bad or even worse at times. These late-round guys aren't all ready to go as rookies. The Cowboys don't want to risk him to waivers in hopes that he'll make the same kind of jump that Bohanna seems to have made.

I had him going to the PS, but it's understandable why they would think he wouldn't make it. He's a big man in a big man's game, so some team might think it's worth claiming him and developing him.
Go watch Ridgeway literally get bentover backwards @ the goaline....it was so bad...he almost broke his spine.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Go watch Ridgeway literally get bentover backwards @ the goaline....it was so bad...he almost broke his spine.

He also made some plays. A fifth-round pick is generally going to lose some. The important part is whether he wins some. Our run defense was pretty solid overall this preseason and he was a part of that. Give him some time and let's see what happens.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yep my comment about ridgeway being JJs pet hog and drink pourer was said in humor....then it got dissected and examined. Lol
Carry on it’s all in fun, at least for me

In retrospect, it's ain't easy having a sense of humor for Cowboys fans! :lmao:
We must, rightfully, have empathy for the downtrodden! :grin:
I think I saw that in the Bible, perhaps?! :muttley:

Last edited:

coult44

Reaction score
Anyone know why Ball is still on the team??? We have another one of those guys now. He literally would not sniff a practice squad of any team in the NFL, yet he’s on our 53??? WTHhhh

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Anyone know why Ball is still on the team??? We have another one of those guys now. He literally would not sniff a practice squad of any team in the NFL, yet he’s on our 53??? WTHhhh
you better hold your breath because he could be your opening day starter if Tyler Smith’s high ankle sprain isn’t healed in 2 weeks

coult44

Reaction score
you better hold your breath because he could be your opening day starter if Tyler Smith’s high ankle sprain isn’t healed in 2 weeks

And I will call him the worst player on the NFL even then. He’s horrible starting, or being on the bench. And Tyler practiced yesterday and is good to go.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He is the 4th OT and the backup at RT which he plays a heck of lot better than LT.

Carson

Reaction score
A few names I wouldn’t mind taking a look at

WR Preston Williams : Massive upgrade at WR
OG Jason Poe : Solid interior depth. 49ers road grader mentality
OT Chuma Edoga : Swing tackle
OT Dennis Kelly : Could start at tackle
DT Tyler Shelvin : Pet cat from last year. Not really a position of need
QB Chris Streverler : A backup QB with upside? What’s that

quickccc

Reaction score
Ya a mild surprise.

It is who I would have released between he and Ridge. I think Ridge, by the end of the year, will be a much better player than Watkins.

Deciding factor along with being a pick.

Yes, i agree.

- I think Ridgeway being a draft pick also factors into it.
Cowboys don't want to throw away a draft pick this quickly without seeing if Ridgeway can develop down the road and next year be what Quinton Bohanna seems
to have developed and improved this summer.

- That roster move also suggests that Quinn & crew must trust the development and emergence of their young guys like Osa, Gallimore, Hill and Bohanna
to risk the gamble of cutting loose vet Watkins.

- Watkins has met his ceiling at this point of his vet career... Ridgeway may end up being a more impactful long term potential down the road.
and apparently Practice Squad option wasn't on the table, much less risk and exposure from another NFL team picking Ridgeway off waivers
or eventually pouching him off our practice squad.

Carson

Reaction score
He would make somebodies practice squad. Dude was pretty lights out at Marshall. He missed all of last year and just needs time.

Remember it took Doug Free after being drafted in 2007 until 2014 to really become dominant. I promise you if you look back on Doug Frees career he was trash until 2014.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dowdle's durability issues already concerns me.
Yet it very easy to go get a player like Davis off Manys practice squads oe frankly off the street. if Dowdle goes down again,,hes expendable and replaceable. really do not understand the concern, most here say RBs are dome a dozen shouldn't be paid and easily replaced. so our 3rd Rb shouldn't a concern. i sa 5 released that are pretty good 3rd back lie say sony michel and many lie him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
there are huge levels of severity with all injuires and this isn't the dreaded sever high ankle sprain, they said its very minor and held our more for caution to make sure hes fully ready for game 1..not an issue but yes OL depth especially tackle with experience is concern..,that ill agree on. Hope they bring in some help..still time, i think after game 2 really, they are thinking some vets brought in without any guarantees is what they are looking for,

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dowdle's durability issues already concerns me.

Same here. That hip thing is scary. As well as being one year closer to a free agency payday. I think Davis was the better choice, hopefully he’s not claimed on waivers.