Cutting it close: Rico Gathers

davidariust24

Reaction score
Rico has grown leaps and bounds. He makes catches and has top notch athleticism. Everyone seems to know that. The quote that gets me is, Jerry says" He's got enough there"(speaking of his size leaping ability and hands . But the angst comes when you're sitting there looking at the guy that's not on your roster because you kept him(Gathers) on your roster. I'm like who on our roster makes you say darn I wish I could keep him? I'm at a blank none of the tightends we have really impress me. I like Jarwins speed. Gathers is ridiculed about not blocking the right man or a man at all but when I watch these other tightends even when they are blocking it looks like they are just in the way or offering resistance. They are not impressing me with their blocking. When gathers does block a man they seem to be going backwards and at least not forward. I just feel like if gathers gets one more year to learn he will have the blocking and everything down. He will be a matchup nightmare once the where and who to block settles in.

davidariust24

Reaction score
He made A catch. Lets pump the brakes.
At first he didn't know any routes. Or anything. Then he learned the routes but wast running like a football player but like a basketball player. Now he looks like a football player running routes . Yesterday Bryan broaddus said he is making less mistakes with his blocking assignments . So he has grown a ton

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
At first he didn't know any routes. Or anything. Then he learned the routes but wast running like a football player but like a basketball player. Now he looks like a football player running routes . Yesterday Bryan broaddus said he is making less mistakes with his blocking assignments . So he has grown a ton
I don't really care about training camp accolades. He needs to get significant playing time in preseason and has to do that with two games left. That's what I'm looking for. Game speed against other players.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Not sure I would care either way. But he is a serious mismatch l. Someone just needs to point out which player he needs to block before the snap.
LOL. Thats what I was thinking. Just tell him who to block LOL and when it's time to catch or score let him do his thing. Eventually he will catch on and block the right person on his own. He is a mismatch at all times because of his size, speed and hands

GenoT

Reaction score
Rico has yet to play a down of football against anything remotely resembling a starting NFL defense. His preseason-only game highlights have come against future supermarket stock-boys and 7-Eleven cashiers.

Unless that changes soon (?), he’ll remain on the bubble until final cuts. Now in his third year, the fact that he hasn’t been given an opportunity to play with the 1’s during even a single preseason game indicates that his issues are likely not of the physical variety.

The clock’s definitely ticking on Rico’s Cowboys career.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No one is answering my question. Who makes you say darn I wish I could keep him instead of gathers? Who is this?
I've seen more from the others. Swaim and Jarwin are locks IMO. I also think Schultz has more realistic potential.
Gathers just doesn't know the position.

kskboys

Reaction score
LOL. Thats what I was thinking. Just tell him who to block LOL and when it's time to catch or score let him do his thing. Eventually he will catch on and block the right person on his own. He is a mismatch at all times because of his size, speed and hands
I don't think he's fast.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I don't think he's fast.

Nope. People slammed Witten for years for his speed but he was actually deceptively fast for a huge TE. Gather is more quick than fast. He will have to rely on his length and route-running to make plays at the NFL level.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nope. People slammed Witten for years for his speed but he was actually deceptively fast for a huge TE. Gather is more quick than fast. He will have to rely on his length and route-running to make plays at the NFL level.
Rico has been overhyped so much he'll never live up to it. And aside from being huge and having good hands, I haven't seen an NFL player from. Limited time at this point. Still, this is his 3rd season, and he should be showing more at this point. I have serious reservations about his commitment to football.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Rico has been overhyped so much he'll never live up to it. And aside from being huge and having good hands, I haven't seen an NFL player from. Limited time at this point. Still, this is his 3rd season, and he should be showing more at this point. I have serious reservations about his commitment to football.

As do I but that's the kind of thing you'd think this braintrust would notice in the pre-draft interviews.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Rico has yet to play a down of football against anything remotely resembling a starting NFL defense. His preseason-only game highlights have come against future supermarket stock-boys and 7-Eleven cashiers.

Unless that changes soon (?), he’ll remain on the bubble until final cuts. Now in his third year, the fact that he hasn’t been given an opportunity to play with the 1’s during even a single preseason game indicates that his issues are likely not of the physical variety.

The clock’s definitely ticking on Rico’s Cowboys career.
Hey now! He made a catch against a future Best Buy employee not too long ago. How soon we forget!