Cutting it close: Rico Gathers

Batman1980

Reaction score
Gathers = PS

Gathers has 2 years of experience in football since he was a teenager and he spent all of last year in basically a redshirt season. Amuses me how many fans act like Gathers is a faster Jason Witten but Prescott is the worst thing ever. I can't even with that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
LOL. Thats what I was thinking. Just tell him who to block LOL and when it's time to catch or score let him do his thing. Eventually he will catch on and block the right person on his own. He is a mismatch at all times because of his size, speed and hands
Lol. Isn’t that sad. 2 years of being in the same system and he still don’t know who to block. I guess someone could be in charge of pointing him out. “Rico.. hit the guy in the middle.”

Batman1980

Reaction score
Lol. Isn’t that sad. 2 years of being in the same system and he still don’t know who to block. I guess someone could be in charge of pointing him out. “Rico.. hit the guy in the middle.”

You have to be able to read formations and guess correctly. I can't do it but I've never played more than pick-up flag football in the backyard. Rico just isn't there.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You have to be able to read formations and guess correctly. I can't do it but I've never played more than pick-up flag football in the backyard. Rico just isn't there.
Will he get there is what I wonder? Most of these players have been playing since they were kids. If I was him I wouldn’t be rapping. Players and coaches would be sick of me. On the phone and in the staffs ear wanting film and assistance.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Will he get there is what I wonder? Most of these players have been playing since they were kids. If I was him I wouldn’t be rapping. Players and coaches would be sick of me. On the phone and in the staffs ear wanting film and assistance.

He should've been following Witten around like a schoolgirl with a crush.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one is answering my question. Who makes you say darn I wish I could keep him instead of gathers? Who is this?

From the standpoint of athleticism there wouldn’t be many, but from the standpoint of understanding how to play the game there may be several.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He should've been following Witten around like a schoolgirl with a crush.
And Witten would have helped him more than anyone. Of course he was never gonna see the field while Witten was still playing but he would have helped him.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
No one is answering my question. Who makes you say darn I wish I could keep him instead of gathers? Who is this?

If he makes the cut, maybe it's Lenoir or Tapper or another WR we release to keep him. Maybe it's Duke Thomas or White that doesn't make it. Is Rico better for the team than the other guys on the bubble? It's a decision I'm glad ain't up to me.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rico has grown leaps and bounds. He makes catches and has top notch athleticism. Everyone seems to know that. The quote that gets me is, Jerry says" He's got enough there"(speaking of his size leaping ability and hands . But the angst comes when you're sitting there looking at the guy that's not on your roster because you kept him(Gathers) on your roster. I'm like who on our roster makes you say darn I wish I could keep him? I'm at a blank none of the tightends we have really impress me. I like Jarwins speed. Gathers is ridiculed about not blocking the right man or a man at all but when I watch these other tightends even when they are blocking it looks like they are just in the way or offering resistance. They are not impressing me with their blocking. When gathers does block a man they seem to be going backwards and at least not forward. I just feel like if gathers gets one more year to learn he will have the blocking and everything down. He will be a matchup nightmare once the where and who to block settles in.

And you are an expert film guru that analyzes this from what little we see from TC and PS games, as opposed to seeing them up close in person, and from the actual TC film. On all the TE's on the roster.
OK, got it.

JustChip

Reaction score
Not sure I would care either way. But he is a serious mismatch l. Someone just needs to point out which player he needs to block before the snap.
Kinda like Dez at Ok State. There was a report that the coaches always had him line up on their side so they could tell him what to do.

davidariust24

Reaction score
From the standpoint of athleticism there wouldn’t be many, but from the standpoint of understanding how to play the game there may be several.
I agree but when we drafted him. I'm am sure they knew he didn't know much of anything. He had been away for 7years or so. The game changes every few seasons in the NFL so we know a guy that hadnt been playing since he was in middle school didn't know anything. he had to learn routes and how to run them, the terminology. Hes learned that. Now he has to understand who to block and why . That is the last step,its a catch 22 because he is only going to learn by being on the field, the problem is him not knowing who to block can hurt his qb or shut down the play. To me this is why preseason is valuable because he can learn a ton by being on the field and it won't hurt your playoff hopes. He needs to play as much as possible in passing and running. The other young guys need it too so the coaches have to balance it all out. He has most of the raw things you need like the routes, how and where to run and the play calls now he needs to understand how to block and who. With a year more he should be able to grasp that. The coaches have suffered alot already. They might as well give him that third year because the reward would be so great if he catches on with the understanding of the game. I feel like his potential to help our team is just as great as jaylon's or Randys. We gave them time it is about to pay off in a huuuge way! I think gathers impact could and will be just as big on the offense with one more season.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Kinda like Dez at Ok State. There was a report that the coaches always had him line up on their side so they could tell him what to do.
He did something like that here in Dallas his first year. He hadn't been out of football for 7years but the point is his potential is high. He is a big time potential scorer. Anything you can get a guy that can produce points because he is a mismatch all the time. Thats worth working the kinks out of unless you have someone who will help our team to the point that we won't miss him for any reason

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree but when we drafted him. I'm am sure they knew he didn't know much of anything. He had been away for 7years or so. The game changes every few seasons in the NFL so we know a guy that hadnt been playing since he was in middle school didn't know anything. he had to learn routes and how to run them, the terminology. Hes learned that. Now he has to understand who to block and why . That is the last step,its a catch 22 because he is only going to learn by being on the field, the problem is him not knowing who to block can hurt his qb or shut down the play. To me this is why preseason is valuable because he can learn a ton by being on the field and it won't hurt your playoff hopes. He needs to play as much as possible in passing and running. The other young guys need it too so the coaches have to balance it all out. He has most of the raw things you need like the routes, how and where to run and the play calls now he needs to understand how to block and who. With a year more he should be able to grasp that. The coaches have suffered alot already. They might as well give him that third year because the reward would be so great if he catches on with the understanding of the game. I feel like his potential to help our team is just as great as jaylon's or Randys. We gave them time it is about to pay off in a huuuge way! I think gathers impact could and will be just as big on the offense with one more season.

He had been out more like 9 years, and of course they knew he was a project when they drafted him, but that doesn’t give him unlimited time. As for Gregory and Jaylon, they didn’t take up roster spots while they weren’t playing, and RICO will likely require a roster spot this year. In addition, having all those developmental years RIco didn’t have they didn’t have all the catch up to do, plus with them being on defense missed assignments don’t get the Cowboys QB or RB hurt. It’s not an apples to apples comparison.

But I think Rico will likely get that extra year, but that assumes there aren’t more issues than a fan watching on TV can see.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He had been out more like 9 years, and of course they knew he was a project when they drafted him, but that doesn’t give him unlimited time. As for Gregory and Jaylon, they didn’t take up roster spots while they weren’t playing, and having all those developmental years RIco didn’t have they didn’t have all the catch up to do, plus with them being on defense missed assignments don’t get the Cowboys QB or RB hurt. It’s not an apples to apples comparison.

But I think Rico will likely get that extra year, but that assumes there aren’t more issues than a fan watching on TV can see.
Apples to acorns?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Excluding an injury, I see two scenarios where he makes the team:

1. We keep 3 and trade someone for a bag of chips
  2. We keep 4

He is not beating out any of the other three at this stage...imo