News: Cutting Ties With Tyrone Crawford In The Best Interest Of The Cowboys?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Nope, keep him for one more season. Lets see what these young guys can bring playing behind him. I think it is better for Dallas to cut him next season, saving like 7 or 8 mill against the cap instead of the 4 or so this season.

This

Praxit

Reaction score
...well, makes sense as business move. I always saw Crawford as a Spencer, just a tad above avg. Since Zeke is taking most of the pie, give the sprinkles to some younger players..

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Quinn is out to start the year, Gregory hasn't asked for reinstatement and Charlton hardly is feared at this point. Our DT are unknowns outside of Collins. I can't imagine getting rid of our experienced, effective depth.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Yep, not this year. Next in all likelihood, but no he is not going anywhere this year. He may actually have a chance this season to be the player he was supposed to be.
Read an article that said he has lost weight this off season while recovering from shoulder surgery, but has been weight training hard-out, put on more mass but dropped weight. No more tweener, let him play outside with just an occasional inside rush. Leave that to the big boys. Stronger in the legs and core, could definitely help.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Does it shock anyone else how often debates on this forum turn into articles within 24-48 hours?
It shouldn't. The writers know it will get posted here and generate clicks for their site. Fans will use it to bolster their own position. In the age of internet ad revenue it's smart business to see what people are discussing and write about it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People have talked about wanting Crawford gone for years but we every year this DL shows why we need him. He is way underappreciated and undervalued for what he does all along this DL. Like any other vet, they can go when we have a better option.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford has been a steady hand and a leader for this defense. No knock on him at all but in this cap squeeze time for new contracts, he’s become a little pricey. And he turns 30 in November. Not ancient but his better days are behind him.

I expect him to be cut. The young DL we have now and their lesser costs make him a casualty IMO.
Yeah, he is the odd man out if it happens.

Garrettop

Reaction score
7 years is a long time to ask your team to cut a versatile, consistent player that, up until this point, had never sniffed trouble off the field.

He was literally in a bar fight that made TMZ this year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Let me be clear here

If DAL cuts ties with TC I'd have exactly 0 "feelings" over it.

But I also recognize we'd likely see him sign a 3-4 year deal with a contender making 6-7M a year that is essentially something like 2 years and 15M.
So he'd take a small pay cut, DAL would get cheaper and younger but eat 5M in dead cap and then face him.

Ultimately, I don't think DAL even considers this.
I believe Rod feels he is the 2nd best DL on the team after DLaw.
Rod has started TC at RDE, LDE, 3T and he has played all 4 DL positions.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It shouldn't. The writers know it will get posted here and generate clicks for their site. Fans will use it to bolster their own position. In the age of internet ad revenue it's smart business to see what people are discussing and write about it.
Feel like if you do that a hat tip to source is a proper way to handle things.
Then again I quit blogging a decade ago and people just openly plagiarize everything now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be a $5.9 million savings this year.
They'll save 4.2 million in cap space for this season and clear 9.1 million for 2019.

So technically a 13.3 million cap savings move over 2 seasons and only about 5 million in dead cap which can easily be taken on this season.

Option A below costs 7M more than option B:
  • Option A: Crawford on the roster in 2019 but not on the roster in 2020.
  • Option B: Crawford not on the roster in either 2019 or 2020.

In order words the cost to keep Crawford for 2019 is 7M.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Yes and a little over 2 mil is dead money. Hit cap hit for 2019 is 9+mil

Cheaper to keep him this year and just cut him after the season. Unless you need his 7mil right now to sign a guy.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

I was strictly talking cap, not cash.

fansince68

Reaction score
Despite being with the Dallas Cowboys for the better part of a decade, Defensive Lineman Tyrone Crawford's time in Dallas could be coming to an end here shortly. It may be in the best interest of the Cowboys to go ahead and cut ties with the veteran in order to do what's best for the team.

Make no mistake though, if the Cowboys decide to part ways with Tyrone Crawford it would strictly be a business move, not at all based on performance. Defensive Coordinator Rod Marinelli values Crawford's versatility to play defensive tackle or defensive end, but with a plethora of younger/cheaper options currently on the roster it's very possible to think we've seen the last of No. 98 wearing the star.

https://insidethestar.com/cutting-ties-with-tyrone-crawford-in-the-best-interest-of-the-cowboys/
Could Crawfish take a pay cut to 4.9 million?