News: CW: Cowboys cupboard not bare at WR behind Cooper, Gallup

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
The old staff were the same guys who let Miles Auston sit on the bench until an inkury forced them to play him. They had no idea how good he could be or even gave him a chance, even with Tony prodding them and saying what a gem he was. For that reason alone I think we MAY have something with Smith and Wilson, basically never given a chance because JG was so inept.

lkelly

Reaction score
This is the type of agenda a team pushes when season ticket renewals are bottoming out.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I'm not a big proponent of drafting a slot receiver with a premium pick, but it's not a position we can just ignore. Maybe that player is already on the roster, but I can't figure out which guy that is.

That player is not on the roster based on what I have seen.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Most of these WRs are a part of last year's mini camp/TC hype about WRs. Big Mike, Kellen and Henry didn't think they needed to sign a vet WR in FA, so they have guys they like in house and the draft.

I like both Wilson n Smith and think this team has something with those guys. Plus add in a good rookie like Van Jefferson or Pittman and it's on.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Cowboys cupboard not bare at WR behind Cooper, Gallup

usatsi_13330660.jpg

When the 2020 regular season gets underway, the Dallas Cowboys are going to sport one of the league's most formidable pairs of wideouts. With Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup, quarterback Dak

Read Full Story

lol this is the same group that led in drops. Also need to get elite speed not average.

Toro9

Reaction score
This is concerning, given how many positions need to be addressed in the draft. They might have to trade down to acquire more picks. Seriously, if this draft doesn't go really well the team could be hurting big time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is not even listed on the roster. Not per the team website. But he is on the wiki roster.
His experiment should be over. If he is on the roster somehow, he is the next Jamiel Showers making a living off the PS.

Not sure why articles keep listing him on the team. I am pretty sure, or was sure they reached an injury settlement with him last season and he was released. However, maybe not.

Below are 2 sites for transactions.

He was placed on IR August 9th 2019. But the 2020 listings don't start until March 18th to see if he was released.
https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/dallas-cowboys/transactions/2019

February 3, 2002 listed as coming off of IR. But only goes back to October 19th, but was pretty sure he was released on an injury settlement within. the 1st few weeks of the season.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/DAL/dallas-cowboys/transactions/

I do not see where he was ever released according to the transactions.
But I could have sworn he was released during the season after thy came to a settlement.

OverTheCap shows him to be under contract with the Cowboys for 2020.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a big proponent of drafting a slot receiver with a premium pick, but it's not a position we can just ignore. Maybe that player is already on the roster, but I can't figure out which guy that is.

If they draft a WR in the top 3 rounds it will be one that projects to have outside WR ability.

morat1959

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who plays WR when your QB holds the ball too long, can’t throw them open and goes thru his progressions slow as molasses.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cedrick Wilson. :)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This K.D. Drummond sounds worse than Mickey Spagnola. lol. Talk about homerism in full effect. He talks up all of the current backups as if one of them would be capable of filling in the departed Cobb's shoes, yet not a single one of them was good, healthy or consistent enough to ever threaten Cobb with his starter's role last season.

The truth is the Cowboys do have a serious void to fill, and we all know deep down inside these backups simply aren't good enough to be starters. Throw in Amari's now well known plantar fasciitis recurring problems (which either hamper or shelves him for weeks at a time), and this team would be in serious trouble without another legit #1 to fill in. This is why it's crucial the Cowboys address this major concern very early in the draft, especially with so much WR #1 talent available in round 1.

If the top 3 estimated WRs (Ruggs, Jeudy & Lamb) in the draft are gone, I hope the Cowboys go after this monster sleeper (big, fast, strong, good hands, excellent blocker, talented, etc). He's the only WR who the Cowboys have had a video conference with out of 9 different players for this upcoming 2020 Draft:

DMN's new sportswriter, John Owning, wrote an excellent article about 5 receivers in the NFL draft who fit the Cowboys, including a trio of Big 12 stars. I highly recommend anyone to go read it. Too bad we can't post any DMN articles in here. It was well written and fully explained. The one WR that stood out to me above the rest is the only one the Cowboys have had a video conference (and interest in) with. I would love me some Denzel Mims if the Cowboys went after him. Mims could play as a big slot WR or play outside if the Cowboys chose to move Amari inside to better take advantage of his quickness, cutting ability, burst/speed and route running. Either way, Mims would be an excellent pick to help fill the trio starting role, especially if Amari were to lose time due to any more foot problems.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OverTheCap shows him to be under contract with the Cowboys for 2020.

Yes but the team website on the FA article doesn't.
He is an ERFA. Which means he signs with us for the amount offered, or he doesn't play. Unless we trade him.

Until I see something saying he signed his offer, I will not count him on the team. Just like Dak, he needs to sign first.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Dallas will look at some point in the draft at WR but I also think Pollard will be used more in the passing game under McCarthy system.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same here. Losing Cobb and not bring Austin back seems like it would have prompted signing someone.

I keep coming back to Taylor Gabriel. He does so much of what Cobb did and works well in the slot and outside. And he brings speed to burn, which this offense can still use.

That inactivity is a head scratcher.
:huh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
All I saw was a bunch of WR4 and WR5 guys in that article.

Cowboys need to replace Cobb/Austin on day 2.

Cobb is a fading old player we picked up in FA. That can be done almost every year. Austin is a nobody veteran journeyman. We could go out right now and sign Taylor Gabriel.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
The names in that "cupboard" are a list that even this guy can't respect.................
primary_EB19830220PEOPLE101009995AR.jpg

Rest In Peace , funny man