News: CW: Cowboys cupboard not bare at WR behind Cooper, Gallup

jnday

Reaction score
Cobb is a fading old player we picked up in FA. That can be done almost every year. Austin is a nobody veteran journeyman. We could go out right now and sign Taylor Gabriel.
Cobb was an extremely smart football player. He is in decline, but smart players are hard to replace.

visionary

Reaction score
To improve this offense we need

1. great TE
2. good slot WR who can get open

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, outside of being intrigued by more snaps/touches for Pollard, the rest of these guys? No, not good enough to play significant downs at 3rd WR.

Devin Smith could be solid there if McCarthy can utilize him correctly and whatever put him in the doghouse for 12 games as a healthy scratch, after averaging 22.6 ypc, went away with the discarded coaching staff.

Hopefully addressed in the draft, (if one of the Big 3 fall to 17, Jalen Reagor, Denzel Mims, Brandon Aiyuk, Michael Pitmman, Jr. Chase Claypool, Lynn Bowden, James Proche)
second wave of free agency ( Taylor Gabriel, Chester Rogers, Paul Richardson) uninspiring I know
or a cheap trade like we did with Tavon Austin (Curtis Samuel, John Ross, etc.)

Your 3rd WR is an extremely important position, and I would guess that McCarthy is very uncomfortable with the current depth.

I love Cooper and Gallup, but for them to be most effective, defenses have to respect that 3rd guy, or else they are going to put their #1 guy on Cooper and then bracket Gallup and dare Dak to beat out with inferior talent.

I'm less concerned about WR#3 than having an adequate backup for Cooper and Gallup.

For the 3rd, I think Smith is fine. Can go deep and run reasonable routes. Leave the route complications to Cooper and Gallup. To me, if you're a deep threat an can run basic routes, you're fine as the 3rd. You have to be accounted for.

Even though I like Smith, I don't trust him as a guy to move the chains as a starter if Gallup or Cooper are out. I think we need a vet who has had some sustained success.

Sign a vet WR on a cheapo deal.
Draft a midround WR this year to compete for WR3 and WR4 next year

Cooper, Gallup, Vet, Smith, Pick
Wilson, Johnson, Bryant - All have 3 years through RFA left, per spotrac. They compete for the last spot.
Brown, Lenoir - Brown is a contract year. Bye. Maybe keep Lenoir on the PS as an emergency WR in case of injuries. They seemed to think he was moderately competent, though not really NFL level physically.

We let two experienced backups WRs go last year. Gotta pick another up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The article would have been more credible if they had not included Noah Brown and Lance Lenoir.

Mannix

Reaction score
DB in the 1st ...this absolute STEAL in the 2nd!!! Fastest 4.5. I've ever seen.