News: CW: Here's the real reason behind Dak Prescott's increase in INTs

Chuck 54

Reaction score
First, I know this is a futile request, but let’s not use this to argue blindly for or against Dak.
Reasons for INTs according to article:
  • Bad decision by a QB
  • Bad execution by QB….off target
  • Receiver error….bounces off hands or chest
  • Receiver error….runs wrong or unprecise route
  • Poor pass protection by OL forcing QB to speed entire process
Author believes the real culprit in the increase is the poor pass protection. He lists “facts” in article that include drop rates for various years and pass protection grades and league ranking this year versus last year.

As a Dak supporter, I don’t accept the blame being placed on the OL. Yes, pass protection is worse, but considering the injuries and shuffling along the OL, pass protection is expected to be worse, and I believe the backups and the rookie have given admirable efforts. When pass protection breaks down, unless the QB is hit while delivering the pass, causing it to be off target, I still hold the QB, especially a veteran like Dak, responsible. Unless a receiver is wide open, Dak cannot let the pass rush speed up his process or decision making. In the playoffs, he needs to accept sacks or throw the ball away and punt, to live another series. Many fans will complain about this, but Aikman was notorious for throwing check downs or throwing the ball away, punting. You can’t score every series, and sometimes, even when trailing, you have to avoid risking a turnover and trust the defense.

Enjoy the article and stats, but there’s no need to argue about fault. Turnovers and INTs provide plenty of fault to go around.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...d1BpqDez7O5QRtSBCs3fYXh_zNoSbEqoFPX_fb6yGDxss

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean the offensive line has to blame in it. But nobody wants to hear the offensive line made you throw a pick. Dak's job to get his footballs to the receiver. The problem is at times they haven't done their job. Which is why i'm not as concerned. I don't think Dak has played any different. I think he still sees the field the same. Just need receivers to hold on to the football and be where they are suppose to be at. They'll be fine.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
QBs get all the blame and receive all of the glory. We're still 8-2 in our last 10 games while averaging close to 30 pts per. Let's look forward to the INTs settling down and decreasing in the play offs. Put your seat belts on boys, this is about to get fun in the next couple of weeks!

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
QBs get all the blame and receive all of the glory. We're still 8-2 in our last 10 games while averaging close to 30 pts per. Let's look forward to the INTs settling down and decreasing in the play offs. Put your seat belts on boys, this is about to get fun in the next couple of weeks!
One of those 2 losses , especially the Jags one could have been avoided with one less turnover , whatever the reason may be .

Correct ?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe he throws the ball to the wrong color jerseys.

However, I'm predicting a flawless outing this week.

JayFord

Reaction score
1. alot of them are tipped passes which results in ints and thats about 6 of his ints

2. the rest are some of the worst throws ive ever seen, its a combo of wrong reads and trying to thread the ball when he doesnt have a whip for an arm....like seriously some of those throws look like he has to pee real bad and wants to get off the field as quick as possible

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Dak owns the picks and needs to be better with his decision making. Throwing the ball out of bounds or taking a sack can be considered good plays. With that said, I prefer he stay aggressive and risk throwing picks if it means lighting up the scoreboard (for Dallas).

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First, I know this is a futile request, but let’s not use this to argue blindly for or against Dak.
Reasons for INTs according to article:
  • Bad decision by a QB
  • Bad execution by QB….off target
  • Receiver error….bounces off hands or chest
  • Receiver error….runs wrong or unprecise route
  • Poor pass protection by OL forcing QB to speed entire process
Author believes the real culprit in the increase is the poor pass protection. He lists “facts” in article that include drop rates for various years and pass protection grades and league ranking this year versus last year.

As a Dak supporter, I don’t accept the blame being placed on the OL. Yes, pass protection is worse, but considering the injuries and shuffling along the OL, pass protection is expected to be worse, and I believe the backups and the rookie have given admirable efforts. When pass protection breaks down, unless the QB is hit while delivering the pass, causing it to be off target, I still hold the QB, especially a veteran like Dak, responsible. Unless a receiver is wide open, Dak cannot let the pass rush speed up his process or decision making. In the playoffs, he needs to accept sacks or throw the ball away and punt, to live another series. Many fans will complain about this, but Aikman was notorious for throwing check downs or throwing the ball away, punting. You can’t score every series, and sometimes, even when trailing, you have to avoid risking a turnover and trust the defense.

Enjoy the article and stats, but there’s no need to argue about fault. Turnovers and INTs provide plenty of fault to go around.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...d1BpqDez7O5QRtSBCs3fYXh_zNoSbEqoFPX_fb6yGDxss

I read an article somewhere that Dak Prescott has suffered the most ints that have resulted from WR drops out of all QBs in the entire NFL. Mix that in with a slightly elevated interception rate overall from Dak and you have a recipe for some pretty gaudy turnover statistics.

Over his career Dak has always been one of the best in the league when it comes to protecting the ball and this season is quite an outlier. To say that it is all on the QB, or entirely not his fault, is pretty short sighted and typically serves an agenda. The truth often lies in the middle.

I have faith that we will see a regression to the mean with Dak's turnover rate and when that happens, this team could start blowing the doors off of its competition since the only thing keeping a lot of Dallas' games close is the turnovers.

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dak owns the picks and needs to be better with his decision making. Throwing the ball out of bounds or taking a sack can be considered good plays. With that said, I prefer he stay aggressive and risk throwing picks if it means lighting up the scoreboard (for Dallas).
Throwing the ball out of bounds 1 thing he does not do.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I know what you're saying and I'm not disagreeing but I just don't think it's in his DNA and I think McCarthy encourages him to be aggressive.
I mean, it's working. We're 12-4 and made the playoffs earlier. I agree about the O line more now because they've cut back on penalties. Pass rush blocking is not great, but that's to be expected. We're still winning. And I expect our running game to be a little fresher.

conner01

Reaction score
One of those 2 losses , especially the Jags one could have been avoided with one less turnover , whatever the reason may be .

Correct ?
Yep
Reciever catches the ball that hit him right in the hands, we win
But lots of things were involved including the pass rush getting there wuickly

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The coaches are telling him, don’t hold onto the football, just release it, we have your back. Even as he’s walking off the field after an interception, they’re telling him the same thing. This is a coaching more than Prescott. His whole life he was taught not to throw interceptions. Now teaching him the opposite.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I remember a poster going around about Tony Romo. Anybody who quarter past from Tony Romo please stand up. 31 players with 31 different uniforms stood up.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Zooming out, I've said this once or twice before and likely to say it again....

Baseball has the wisdom to credit errors according to which player on the field actually bears primary responsibility.

Hold that thought, and pair it with this.............

How long have defenses been able to sack QBs? Have tackles for loss? And yet... how long have those stats been kept?

Said that to say this.

NFL needs to evolve, and interceptions should be judged each time according to what player bears most clearly the blame for the end result.

Some of those are going to be judgment calls. Fine. What's the problem with that? Again, they make judgment calls when assigning errors in baseball. Not a problem.

It's just the right thing to do because it's the more intelligent, more accurate description of what actually happened on the field.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is a cover-all-the-bases analysis.
The reason why humans drown is because their lungs fill up with water and because humans are an air-breathing species.
Yeah, so tell us something we don't know.:rolleyes: