News: CW: Here's the real reason behind Dak Prescott's increase in INTs

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Zooming out, I've said this once or twice before and likely to say it again....

Baseball has the wisdom to credit errors according to which player on the field actually bears primary responsibility.

Hold that thought, and pair it with this.............

How long have defenses been able to sack QBs? Have tackles for loss? And yet... how long have those stats been kept?

Said that to say this.

NFL needs to evolve, and interceptions should be judged each time according to what player bears most clearly the blame for the end result.

Some of those are going to be judgment calls. Fine. What's the problem with that? Again, they make judgment calls when assigning errors in baseball. Not a problem.

It's just the right thing to do because it's the more intelligent, more accurate description of what actually happened on the field.
Patiently waiting for the inevitable Risen post that says something to the effect of "so you want to change the way INT stats are compiled because your $40 million QB is throwing hella INTs"

:muttley:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's still a team sport. And there are enough interceptions go to around this year. Everyone has played a part.

superonyx

Reaction score
The aggressive throws that get you that first down or TD may not be made as often if he becomes so afraid of the Int. So of course we all want less interceptions, we are scoring a lot of points and considering how many of the Int's went off our own hands, I'm not unhappy with Dak. Their is a balance between being aggressive enough to score and throwing a few picks.

I'm more worried about our defenses inability to get off the field than anything else right now.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I believe he throws the ball to the wrong color jerseys.

However, I'm predicting a flawless outing this week.
I believe Dak takes a lot of unnecessary chances when he should be throwing the ball away should be the first choice, rather than making the throw between several defenders.
I get the gunslinger approach, and if successful can win games, but there have been obvious moments where just throwing it out of bounds was the optimum choice vs the INTs,
even with the WR making obvious errors as well.
Daks next step in evolving will be understanding the value of conservative play when deemed appropriate.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Patiently waiting for the inevitable Risen post that says something to the effect of "so you want to change the way INT stats are compiled because your $40 million QB is throwing hella INTs"

:muttley:

(Unless I just wasn't paying attention (possible), Risen kinda disappeared from any follow-ups to my posts after he made some snarky remark along the lines that I was stupid for making Josh Ball out to be a rookie... only to discover that, indeed, my capacity to screenshot pro-football-reference is fully intact.)

Of course, in case it does have to be said, no, the logic of the proposition either stands on its own, or it doesn't. Has nothing to do with any one team's QBs.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I mean the offensive line has to blame in it. But nobody wants to hear the offensive line made you throw a pick. Dak's job to get his footballs to the receiver.

The other team gets paid too.
It's up to the QB to properly deal with pressure. An INT ain't it.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Zooming out, I've said this once or twice before and likely to say it again....

Baseball has the wisdom to credit errors according to which player on the field actually bears primary responsibility.

Hold that thought, and pair it with this.............

How long have defenses been able to sack QBs? Have tackles for loss? And yet... how long have those stats been kept?

Said that to say this.

NFL needs to evolve, and interceptions should be judged each time according to what player bears most clearly the blame for the end result.

Some of those are going to be judgment calls. Fine. What's the problem with that? Again, they make judgment calls when assigning errors in baseball. Not a problem.

It's just the right thing to do because it's the more intelligent, more accurate description of what actually happened on the field.
Use logic and have a better plan. No that doesn’t fly around here!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
One of those 2 losses , especially the Jags one could have been avoided with one less turnover , whatever the reason may be .

Correct ?
One of those losses could have been avoided if the defense made one more stop than they did.

One of those losses could have been avoided if McCarthy would have made one different decision.
I could go on and on!

Zman5

Reaction score
Even with the INTS, this version of Dak is playing better than the post calf injury Dak from last year. Much more decisive and aggressive

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
When you have a real 40 million a year QB you don't need articles trying to assign blame for all the interceptions.
You know I’ve been trying to fight my seemingly Pavlovian response to reading Dak Prescott’s name…

like it or not he’s gonna be here next year, silly idea… Why doesn’t our brain trust surround him with talent, a true number 1WR, beef up the o line, elite tight end… Then just see what happens. I would love to be proven wrong by him.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
One of those losses could have been avoided if the defense made one more stop than they did.

One of those losses could have been avoided if McCarthy would have made one different decision.
I could go on and on!
You can’t excuse the play of the most important man on the field just because other areas screwed up to.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First, I know this is a futile request, but let’s not use this to argue blindly for or against Dak.
Reasons for INTs according to article:
  • Bad decision by a QB
  • Bad execution by QB….off target
  • Receiver error….bounces off hands or chest
  • Receiver error….runs wrong or unprecise route
  • Poor pass protection by OL forcing QB to speed entire process
Author believes the real culprit in the increase is the poor pass protection. He lists “facts” in article that include drop rates for various years and pass protection grades and league ranking this year versus last year.

As a Dak supporter, I don’t accept the blame being placed on the OL. Yes, pass protection is worse, but considering the injuries and shuffling along the OL, pass protection is expected to be worse, and I believe the backups and the rookie have given admirable efforts. When pass protection breaks down, unless the QB is hit while delivering the pass, causing it to be off target, I still hold the QB, especially a veteran like Dak, responsible. Unless a receiver is wide open, Dak cannot let the pass rush speed up his process or decision making. In the playoffs, he needs to accept sacks or throw the ball away and punt, to live another series. Many fans will complain about this, but Aikman was notorious for throwing check downs or throwing the ball away, punting. You can’t score every series, and sometimes, even when trailing, you have to avoid risking a turnover and trust the defense.

Enjoy the article and stats, but there’s no need to argue about fault. Turnovers and INTs provide plenty of fault to go around.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...d1BpqDez7O5QRtSBCs3fYXh_zNoSbEqoFPX_fb6yGDxss

also just one caveate ----Dak has tendency to throw too hard in short area throws......just one man's observance?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is a cover-all-the-bases analysis.
The reason why humans drown is because their lungs fill up with water and because humans are an air-breathing species.
Yeah, so tell us something we don't know.:rolleyes:

never considered Dak was drowning on those throws...Hmmm?

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Its just more aggressive play calling from Kellen Moore. Dak had to get used to the new play calling. AKA deeper throws down field. And the offensive line has been having problems with pass protection. You add those two things together and what do you get.

There is no one to blame here. This defense is built to get after the QB, which means they're built to play with the lead. Being aggressive down field can get you the lead quicker than our old ball control, time of possession approach. So, the cause for more interceptions is, our new found aggressiveness. AKA Mike McCarthy's influence.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Even with the INTS, this version of Dak is playing better than the post calf injury Dak from last year. Much more decisive and aggressive

I agree, bad plays will happen regardless of fault so there are 1 of 2 things you can do during the game. Go into a shell and be timid about throwing the ball or you can come out swinging. For me I expect the player to put it behind him and move on, what has happened has happened and nothing can change it so you move on to the next play. Really any sports you play you the rule remains the same, you must put it behind you and get ready for the next play.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, I know this is a futile request, but let’s not use this to argue blindly for or against Dak.
Reasons for INTs according to article:
  • Bad decision by a QB
  • Bad execution by QB….off target
  • Receiver error….bounces off hands or chest
  • Receiver error….runs wrong or unprecise route
  • Poor pass protection by OL forcing QB to speed entire process
Author believes the real culprit in the increase is the poor pass protection. He lists “facts” in article that include drop rates for various years and pass protection grades and league ranking this year versus last year.

As a Dak supporter, I don’t accept the blame being placed on the OL. Yes, pass protection is worse, but considering the injuries and shuffling along the OL, pass protection is expected to be worse, and I believe the backups and the rookie have given admirable efforts. When pass protection breaks down, unless the QB is hit while delivering the pass, causing it to be off target, I still hold the QB, especially a veteran like Dak, responsible. Unless a receiver is wide open, Dak cannot let the pass rush speed up his process or decision making. In the playoffs, he needs to accept sacks or throw the ball away and punt, to live another series. Many fans will complain about this, but Aikman was notorious for throwing check downs or throwing the ball away, punting. You can’t score every series, and sometimes, even when trailing, you have to avoid risking a turnover and trust the defense.

Enjoy the article and stats, but there’s no need to argue about fault. Turnovers and INTs provide plenty of fault to go around.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...d1BpqDez7O5QRtSBCs3fYXh_zNoSbEqoFPX_fb6yGDxss
I don't see any stats breakdown of how many where in each category...

Even a simple 2 category stat of pass vs receiver as the problem would be nice to see.

It does "feel" as if there have been far more that were receiver problems than normal, but I have not gone back to review each INT and categorize it.

Some are difficult because even ex-players/coaches didn't agree on the some of the ones that appeared to be a mistake in route running.