News: CW: Here's the real reason behind Dak Prescott's increase in INTs

TheHerd

Reaction score
QBs get all the blame and receive all of the glory. We're still 8-2 in our last 10 games while averaging close to 30 pts per. Let's look forward to the INTs settling down and decreasing in the play offs. Put your seat belts on boys, this is about to get fun in the next couple of weeks!
We've averaged 36.2 over the last 10 games.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The coaches are telling him, don’t hold onto the football, just release it, we have your back. Even as he’s walking off the field after an interception, they’re telling him the same thing. This is a coaching more than Prescott. His whole life he was taught not to throw interceptions. Now teaching him the opposite.

I don't think they're teaching him the opposite. I think they're teaching him that it's not the end of the world if you DO throw one. 8-2 over this stretch with the highest scoring offense in the league by a wide margin says they're probably right.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If you're gonna make excuses such as the receivers tipped the passes then you have to be fair and include passes dropped by defenders that were sure interceptions. You can't make one point and then ignore the other. That just makes you a homer. OMG, now because it's Dak, we gotta be dissecting cause of interceptions.....didn't do that to the other Dallas QBs. Get over it, and accept them just as before.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't think they're teaching him the opposite. I think they're teaching him that it's not the end of the world if you DO throw one. 8-2 over this stretch with the highest scoring offense in the league by a wide margin says they're probably right.
Yeah, maybe I use the wrong word

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeez, all this Dak hate!:eek:

One would think that Dak is the QB for the Dallas Cowboys.:muttley:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If you're gonna make excuses such as the receivers tipped the passes then you have to be fair and include passes dropped by defenders that were sure interceptions. You can't make one point and then ignore the other. That just makes you a homer. OMG, now because it's Dak, we gotta be dissecting cause of interceptions.....didn't do that to the other Dallas QBs. Get over it, and accept them just as before.
1. I would hope coaches and data guys analyze interceptions and fumbles, even penalties all the time in order to explain it and help players improve. Personally, I would hope if Dak read this article, he would consider that maybe if the pass protection is worse, maybe he’s rushing some decisions and throws when he should throw it away. Unless his arm is hit, I hold him responsible for off target INTs and bad decision INTs.

2. Defenders are often excused for dropping INTs because that’s not their primary job and many of them play defense because they don’t have good hands. On the other hand, receivers are supposed to catch the ball when it hits their hands. That is what they are paid to do.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dak is not paying enough attention to his immediate surroundings, causing balls to be both, batted down and intercepted. That's nobody's fault but Dak's. This is a preponderance of the problems we are experiencing with INTs. This is something that can be eliminated if Dak makes a conscious effort to pay more attention to the details around him. Situational awareness!

Whyjerry

Reaction score
At least half are on the receivers. Bad routes and deflections right off the hands. Dak has thrown a few bad ones but the receivers are to blame for the elevated number. BTW 14 INTs is not the end of the world. 12-4.

Creeper

Reaction score
Of course the poor pass protection has something to do with it, as it would for any QB. Brady sucks when he is pressured. This isn't new news. The Cowboys OL has been better run blocking, than pass blocking. Now, what's changed is the run blocking has suffered since Steele got hurt.

Havic

Reaction score
I'd take 15 INT a year from him if he could put up 40+ passing TD's like Mahomes does.

Wangchung83

Reaction score
I read an article somewhere that Dak Prescott has suffered the most ints that have resulted from WR drops out of all QBs in the entire NFL. Mix that in with a slightly elevated interception rate overall from Dak and you have a recipe for some pretty gaudy turnover statistics.

Over his career Dak has always been one of the best in the league when it comes to protecting the ball and this season is quite an outlier. To say that it is all on the QB, or entirely not his fault, is pretty short sighted and typically serves an agenda. The truth often lies in the middle.

I have faith that we will see a regression to the mean with Dak's turnover rate and when that happens, this team could start blowing the doors off of its competition since the only thing keeping a lot of Dallas' games close is the turnovers.
Nope, you read that here. Every other media outlet has stated Dak has thrown 14 interception but with 5 less games than everyone else. All the other QBs have had receivers tip the balls and read incorrect option routes, but our dak fans are the only ones to make excuses.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Nope, you read that here. Every other media outlet has stated Dak has thrown 14 interception but with 5 less games than everyone else. All the other QBs have had receivers tip the balls and read incorrect option routes, but our dak fans are the only ones to make excuses.
I think it’s called posting an article. One doesn’t have to agree with the journalist’s opinion.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok.

The facts care not for your feelings.

Last edited:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
First, I know this is a futile request, but let’s not use this to argue blindly for or against Dak.
Reasons for INTs according to article:
  • Bad decision by a QB
  • Bad execution by QB….off target
  • Receiver error….bounces off hands or chest
  • Receiver error….runs wrong or unprecise route
  • Poor pass protection by OL forcing QB to speed entire process
Author believes the real culprit in the increase is the poor pass protection. He lists “facts” in article that include drop rates for various years and pass protection grades and league ranking this year versus last year.

As a Dak supporter, I don’t accept the blame being placed on the OL. Yes, pass protection is worse, but considering the injuries and shuffling along the OL, pass protection is expected to be worse, and I believe the backups and the rookie have given admirable efforts. When pass protection breaks down, unless the QB is hit while delivering the pass, causing it to be off target, I still hold the QB, especially a veteran like Dak, responsible. Unless a receiver is wide open, Dak cannot let the pass rush speed up his process or decision making. In the playoffs, he needs to accept sacks or throw the ball away and punt, to live another series. Many fans will complain about this, but Aikman was notorious for throwing check downs or throwing the ball away, punting. You can’t score every series, and sometimes, even when trailing, you have to avoid risking a turnover and trust the defense.

Enjoy the article and stats, but there’s no need to argue about fault. Turnovers and INTs provide plenty of fault to go around.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...d1BpqDez7O5QRtSBCs3fYXh_zNoSbEqoFPX_fb6yGDxss
He threw the ball to the wrong team?

silvernblu

Reaction score
The aggressive throws that get you that first down or TD may not be made as often if he becomes so afraid of the Int. So of course we all want less interceptions, we are scoring a lot of points and considering how many of the Int's went off our own hands, I'm not unhappy with Dak. Their is a balance between being aggressive enough to score and throwing a few picks.

I'm more worried about our defenses inability to get off the field than anything else right now.
Tough for a defense to impact a pick six.

superonyx

Reaction score
Tough for a defense to impact a pick six.
But not tough for a fan to use 1 pass to set the narrative for the entire players season is it?

Make sure you ignore that with Dak we have the highest scoring offense in the NFL. Does that impact the defense?