News: CW: Kiper's new Top 25 board infers Cowboys may be reaching if they draft defense at No. 10

Verdict

Reaction score
No, Dak wasn’t playing elite. He was getting a lot of Blake Bortles garbage time stats against some of the worst defenses in the league. Team fell way behind too many times. Dak was 0-4 to start the year unless one counts the miraculous victory against Atlanta only made possible by Atlanta’s brain fart.

Cooper was playing well most of the time but I never saw elite.
Copper was very spotty last year. Don’t look at just the stats. Look at what he did in given situations. That’s why the Raiders were so willing to part with him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tis OK because Kiper's next big board will have 3 defenders top 12.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Copper was very spotty last year. Don’t look at just the stats. Look at what he did in given situations. That’s why the Raiders were so willing to part with him.

Amari Cooper is a surefire WR1. He is like any other WR dependent upon the defense played against him and who is throwing him the ball.
He runs the best routes on the team pretty easily and still has plus speed and strength.
He also displayed the best hands on the team last year.
You remove Amari from this team and it's offense craters.

Dak averages almost 60 yards per game passing more with Amari than without.

MrPhil

Reaction score
It's not entirely about touches, Pitts averaged 18 yards a catch last year with 12 TD's and close to 100 catches in the last 2 years. Now take that in for a second because those yards per catch numbers are in DeSean Jackson territory, they would be in the top 2 or 3 WR numbers in the NFL, not TE numbers but WR numbers. Will he have as high in the NFL probably not but it does make you say wow.

Taking Pitts does not prevent you from going D with you other 4 top 115 picks for a CB, DL, FS, LB.

You are talking about a rare talent here.

Not going to happen though, he will be gone before us.

Agreed. Pitts would improve our 3rd down conversion % and likely result in more redzone TDs vs FGs. Both of which help out a defense that is in the midst of being rebuilt.

I also agree that he likely won't be available so it is moot. In my opinion, the only offensive players I would take over Surtain at 10 would be Pitts and Sewell.

Verdict

Reaction score
Amari Cooper is a surefire WR1. He is like any other WR dependent upon the defense played against him and who is throwing him the ball.
He runs the best routes on the team pretty easily and still has plus speed and strength.
He also displayed the best hands on the team last year.
You remove Amari from this team and it's offense craters.

Dak averages almost 60 yards per game passing more with Amari than without.
Amari is a bit of a mirage. Everything you say is partially true (I’m not sure the team would crater not that we have Lamb). But Amari also sulks and disappears at times. That’s not an alpha male mentality. It also tends to get you beat when the game is on the line. Amari is more of a front runner.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Who plays TE, the writer was correct.
I'm not for or against Pitts. Who Dallas drafts is who Dallas drafts.

But I got to wonder, what are the odds that there are multiple "Generational Talents" in the same draft? I've heard that phrase for Lawrence, Sewell and now Pitts. The crazy thing, I have not followed the draft outside this forum because I just don't have the time to this year.

I also find it funny, they are all on the offensive side, and we all know that offensive players are generally overhyped vs defensive players. I mean, I understand it since the NFL is offensively biased in their rules, but it does not negate the fact that it still happens at such a disproportionate rate.

Who knows, maybe all of them are generational talents, even if the odds are they are not. But all I see is a bunch of red flags. The last time I seen a player(s) hyped up this much was with Reggie Bush, and while Bush was not a total scrub, he was hardly the "greatest running back since Barry Sanders" that he was virtually unanimously made out to be during the 2006 draft.

JMHO

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He has the potential to be the best offensive player on any team that drafts him outside of a handful who have all-pro QBs or WRs

Pitts would pass Lamb and Gallup most likely and end up being one of those nightmare TE’s that wreck defenses game plans
Im ranking Pitts right there with Chase as far as highest ceiling for top 10 picks.
If so lucky that one squeaks out, hope 5 QBs go, could happen.

visionary

Reaction score
There was a draft a few years ago where Kiper had every pick in the first round wrong. I get it that it's a crap shoot, but every pick from 1-31 wrong.

Yes there was :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

just stop it, please

Chuck 54

Reaction score
DT, DE, S would all be huge reaches at #10.
LB is probably a reach because there are no sure things at LB, just hyped guys who run fast who may play several positions, but none who shed blockers and stuff the run between the tackles.
CB, to me is the only position that you can draft at 10. Surtain is fine at 10 even if 1-2 OTs or WRs are rated a little higher. Horn is a reach at 10, so you have to trade down. You cannot draft him at 10 unless you had him rated higher than Surtain for fit in your defense and are willing to stand by that when the media is blowing you up.

For me, it has to be Pitts, Sewell, Surtain, or Slater......Chase would be a value pick as he will replace Gallup for the next 4 years and make your starting group even better; plus, if he plays like a stud, you can then let Cooper go in a couple years and make him your #1. But I don't see how you take Chase if any of the other 4 are still on the board.

My ideal would be Pitts, Sewell, Surtain if the experts and coaches are convinced he's a stud, or a glorious trade down.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DT, DE, S would all be huge reaches at #10.
LB is probably a reach because there are no sure things at LB, just hyped guys who run fast who may play several positions, but none who shed blockers and stuff the run between the tackles.
CB, to me is the only position that you can draft at 10. Surtain is fine at 10 even if 1-2 OTs or WRs are rated a little higher. Horn is a reach at 10, so you have to trade down. You cannot draft him at 10 unless you had him rated higher than Surtain for fit in your defense and are willing to stand by that when the media is blowing you up.

For me, it has to be Pitts, Sewell, Surtain, or Slater......Chase would be a value pick as he will replace Gallup for the next 4 years and make your starting group even better; plus, if he plays like a stud, you can then let Cooper go in a couple years and make him your #1. But I don't see how you take Chase if any of the other 4 are still on the board.

My ideal would be Pitts, Sewell, Surtain if the experts and coaches are convinced he's a stud, or a glorious trade down.

There is at least one LB who does it all. Collins, out of Tulsa does it all.

Adreme

Reaction score
No, Dak wasn’t playing elite. He was getting a lot of Blake Bortles garbage time stats against some of the worst defenses in the league. Team fell way behind too many times. Dak was 0-4 to start the year unless one counts the miraculous victory against Atlanta only made possible by Atlanta’s brain fart.

Cooper was playing well most of the time but I never saw elite.

I want to imagine having the cognitive dissonance to see a team score 38 and have the defense give up 49 and somehow think that it falls on the QB.

Then again there is nothing more telling of a low football IQ then trying to make wins into a QB stat. It is basically the giant red flag that the person does not know football.

Motorola

Reaction score
Always take the blue chip when they fall in your lap.
Its like saying the the most unlikely occurrence, Chase somehow is still there, I dont care what you have at WR, you take the player.
A 1st round pick used to get a WR three years in a row ---- a mob will show up at The Star in Frisco!

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I'm not for or against Pitts. Who Dallas drafts is who Dallas drafts.

But I got to wonder, what are the odds that there are multiple "Generational Talents" in the same draft? I've heard that phrase for Lawrence, Sewell and now Pitts. The crazy thing, I have not followed the draft outside this forum because I just don't have the time to this year.

I also find it funny, they are all on the offensive side, and we all know that offensive players are generally overhyped vs defensive players. I mean, I understand it since the NFL is offensively biased in their rules, but it does not negate the fact that it still happens at such a disproportionate rate.

Who knows, maybe all of them are generational talents, even if the odds are they are not. But all I see is a bunch of red flags. The last time I seen a player(s) hyped up this much was with Reggie Bush, and while Bush was not a total scrub, he was hardly the "greatest running back since Barry Sanders" that he was virtually unanimously made out to be during the 2006 draft.

JMHO

Think it depends on the draft and what players are available, heard about a generational D player being drafted #2 last year.

QB's always get hyped but for TE to being talked about in the first 4 picks is rare, think there has been something like 6 taken in the first round in the last decade and they are talking about Pitts in the first 4 picks.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
There is at least one LB who does it all. Collins, out of Tulsa does it all.
#10? No way in hell. He's not anywhere near a top 10 player, which doesn't mean he can't do it all, but he's still a reach at 10

CowboyDAK

Reaction score
If Pitts or Sewell fall you take them, that’s the bottom line. Use 44 on McNeil or the Tulsa kid. And try to move up and get a 2nd-3rd round corner or two. Plenty to choose from, Minnesota, Stanford, UCF, Michigan St, Kentucky. Don’t be surprised that one of them ends up being better than the prize 3.