D.J. Moore VS Calvin Ridley

RandyOh

Reaction score
If he is all world and worth the 19th pick, why were his numbers against Wisconsin, OSU and Michigan so crappy? Not hating, just saying better production against better competition would offer some proof.
Only real offensive weapon on a team that got to the point where the 5th string QB was starting QB in arguably the toughest or 2nd toughest conference in College. He’s not a perfect prospect but he has the tools, work ethic, and toughness to develop into something special.

He’s a prospect that’s being punished for not playing at a major program. If he played at a program like LSU or Alabama then everyone including the National media would be making excuses for him.

Everyone is raving over Vea but I remember a poster on here pointing out he disappeared against quality olines this past season. Still not going to stop people from wishing we can draft him cause he also has the tools to develop into something special.

Soonerman1

Reaction score
2 of the top 3 or 4 DBs coming out are coming from Bama tho so Ridley never had to face 2 of best DBs in the country. They also have a 3rd DB that could go in the mid rounds in Wallace. Ohio State, Michigan, & Iowa have had some of the best DBs in the country the last few years including 2 of the top Corners in this years draft.
There is no way you read what you are about to post before you send it, last time I checked college football teams play one a week, but Ridley faces two of the top 4 DB in the country EVERY SINGLE DAY IN PRATICE, what are you talking about

RandyOh

Reaction score
There is no way you read what you are about to post before you send it, last time I checked college football teams play one a week, but Ridley faces two of the top 4 DB in the country EVERY SINGLE DAY IN PRATICE, what are you talking about
facing a teammate in practice is not the same as facing that same top talent in a real game. i understand iron sharpens iron but we have no idea how Ridley fares in practice against Fitzpatrick and Harrison.

If how they performed in practice was on par as in game for scouting then Ryan Russel would still be a cowboy cause it was reported numerous times that he was monster on the practice field when he was on the roster.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if it comes down to either or......Im starting to warm up to DJ Moore over Ridley.
Interesting to me are trends....and CowboysWire in their stock up/stock down feature show that DJ Moore in all major categories either hits or exceeds what Dallas typically look for in a WR.
Now,the serious question is.....will he be the first WR off the board.
If he is....Id love to land Ridley as a plan b...but there is still a chance that even he is gone before 19.
Id still prefer Isaiah Wynn,G-Georgia,Will Hernandez,G-Utep or DaRon Payne,DT-bama at 19.
But.
In the spirit of the thread.
At 19.
DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley.
I was wrong.
DJ Moore.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You are almost pathologically incapable of dropping an argument or admitting you're wrong.

You aren't making an argument. You're asking questions. And you should consider your comment about dropping an argument and try some introspection.

Your link stated that he had an excellent 40 time and 3 cone. That should be a lesson to you about begging a question and posting a link. His jumps were poor but that is not his game. That is a mixed bag in my book not "worst of all WR" as you claimed.

Edit: oh wait you are piling on. It is amusing how people react to my arguing with them. Like a bunch of teenagers.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have learned that there be some DJ fans on this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
if it comes down to either or......Im starting to warm up to DJ Moore over Ridley.
Interesting to me are trends....and CowboysWire in their stock up/stock down feature show that DJ Moore in all major categories either hits or exceeds what Dallas typically look for in a WR.
Now,the serious question is.....will he be the first WR off the board.
If he is....Id love to land Ridley as a plan b...but there is still a chance that even he is gone before 19.
Id still prefer Isaiah Wynn,G-Georgia,Will Hernandez,G-Utep or DaRon Payne,DT-bama at 19.
But.
In the spirit of the thread.
At 19.
DJ Moore or Calvin Ridley.
I was wrong.
DJ Moore.
Now we’re having fun lol welcome aboard.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have learned that there be some DJ fans on this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I joked yesterday that I think his agent is paying three of these guys.
Hey, they're just calling like they think it is.
One guy--a good poster--bet me a sig. bet that there would not be one single mock draft after March 15 that didnt have DJ Moore in the 1st round. Not one
Whoa

Anyway, all I need is one, but my guess is that 60-70% wont have him round 1...maybe more

kskboys

Reaction score
I joked yesterday that I think his agent is paying three of these guys.
Hey, they're just calling like they think it is.
One guy--a good poster--bet me a sig. bet that there would not be one single mock draft after March 15 that didnt have DJ Moore in the 1st round. Not one
Whoa
I like DJ Moore, I just don't like taking smallish WR's in the first. I'm well aware that some can be a #1, but there's also a pile like Tavon Austin, Eddie Royal, Phillip Dorsett, and it looks like Ross might be in that same group. Don't get me wrong, I love having that quick WR, but mostly he's just not going to be able to be your #1, and I hate spending a 1st on a #2 WR.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Good post. Liked your explanation. Regarding Callaway i think he goes sooner then most of us think. Their are still a some teams in the league that are willing to take chances and from what i saw he increased his stock at the combine

I agree. I'm thinking he'll go in the 4th round, maaaybe 3rd.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Only real offensive weapon on a team that got to the point where the 5th string QB was starting QB in arguably the toughest or 2nd toughest conference in College. He’s not a perfect prospect but he has the tools, work ethic, and toughness to develop into something special.

He’s a prospect that’s being punished for not playing at a major program. If he played at a program like LSU or Alabama then everyone including the National media would be making excuses for him.

Everyone is raving over Vea but I remember a poster on here pointing out he disappeared against quality olines this past season. Still not going to stop people from wishing we can draft him cause he also has the tools to develop into something special.

Thanks for providing some context. I like him, just not a first round kind of like. That's why we share info & opinions right?

As for Vea, I don't expect him to fill a stat sheet every game. But he is impacting the game because I rarely saw him single blocked & even when double & triple teamed he held his ground. Give me some of that!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I’ve learned over the years about drafting is the importance of not reaching for a guy you’re enamored with just because he’s available.

For example- if we have the 19th pick, and Jerry loves DJ Moore, who is available at 19, but your draft board and scouting work has him as the 32nd best player in the draft, you are probably making a mistake. Reaching for a guy in rounds 4-7 is way less risky and damaging than reaching for a guy in rounds 1-3.

The Cowboys have a lot of needs. So good FOs follow their draft boards and avoid becoming enamored with one or two guys at a position of need. It’s ok if we as fans do that, but a well run FO sticks with its scouting work and player evaluations in the flow of the draft.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Thanks for providing some context. I like him, just not a first round kind of like. That's why we share info & opinions right?

As for Vea, I don't expect him to fill a stat sheet every game. But he is impacting the game because I rarely saw him single blocked & even when double & triple teamed he held his ground. Give me some of that!!
This is such a strange draft. The Consensus is that their are only like 14 or 15 players with 1st round grades (and yes i'm including 4 QBs) but also many feel that they can't justify taking a player with a 2nd round grade. Honestly i don't want to pick at our spot. Either trade up a few spots and get us a defensive stud or hopefully some will allow us to trade back. I don't even really want an offensive player at 19. DJ Moore is just the first offensive player i would want at 19 other then obvious Quinten Nelson if our defensive options are off the board.

DanA

Reaction score
Ridley is a finesse WR and had good combine numbers that support his finesse style at the combine. Hard to then ding him for not having the vert to outleap or upper body strength to bulldoze his opponents, it’s not what makes him special and he’s never really gonna try those things at NFL level.