D.J. Moore VS Calvin Ridley

WhizKid

Reaction score
I would take Ridley at 19. The guy is way too fluid running routes. I think he is a perfect compliment to Dez, given his ability to get open. While I think Moore could develop into a deep threat, there is a lot more to catch a deep ball than running fast. Sure it plays a major role, but you have to have the ability to track the ball and make adjustments while it is in the air. I like Moore and I am not saying he cannot develop in this area, but I think Calvin does a lot of what we need in an offense. I would take Eq. St. Brown over Moore. That's my opinion of course. Again, there are a lot of good WRs coming out this year. There may be no consensus all-pro coming out, but these guys are professionals, some of them will develop into that role. With that being said, I think it's better value to take St. Brown in the 2nd than Ridley in the 1st. I think he has a much higher ceiling with a lower floor.

Fact is, I'm not going to be mad if any of these guys are picked. I don't think the Cowboys will take Ridley. As much as I like his tape, his run-blocking is 'meh' at best. The boys will be looking for guys who can block well along with playing the WR position well. In that regard, I think the boys are moore likely to pick DJ.

The best value in my very humble opinion, will be to go with the headache and take Callaway later. He's got his issues, but he got game.

RandyOh

Reaction score
STOP IT!!!! You are comparing apples to grapefruit, 1000’s of players have been combine Warriors and so so pros if that, see Dontari Poe, Ridley plays in a run dominate offense with a QB that couldn’t throw a watermelon in the ocean. Ridley is against the best defensive coaches and players in the country. Moore is a good prospect but if not DL, LB, OLor S, which are our primary NEEDS, I would prefer DJ Chark or Sutton at 19
When did the BIG10 become Conference USA in terms of level of talent? Last i saw Ohio state, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, & Nebraska was sending just about the same amount of top 100 defensive talent to the NFL as Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Florida, And Missouri. And Ridley was hindered by QB play? Guess Moore having to play with 5 different starting QBs due to 4 getting injured this past season is not considered being hindered by poor QB play in a major conference.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I would take Ridley at 19. The guy is way too fluid running routes. I think he is a perfect compliment to Dez, given his ability to get open. While I think Moore could develop into a deep threat, there is a lot more to catch a deep ball than running fast. Sure it plays a major role, but you have to have the ability to track the ball and make adjustments while it is in the air. I like Moore and I am not saying he cannot develop in this area, but I think Calvin does a lot of what we need in an offense. I would take Eq. St. Brown over Moore. That's my opinion of course. Again, there are a lot of good WRs coming out this year. There may be no consensus all-pro coming out, but these guys are professionals, some of them will develop into that role. With that being said, I think it's better value to take St. Brown in the 2nd than Ridley in the 1st. I think he has a much higher ceiling with a lower floor.

Fact is, I'm not going to be mad if any of these guys are picked. I don't think the Cowboys will take Ridley. As much as I like his tape, his run-blocking is 'meh' at best. The boys will be looking for guys who can block well along with playing the WR position well. In that regard, I think the boys are moore likely to pick DJ.

The best value in my very humble opinion, will be to go with the headache and take Callaway later. He's got his issues, but he got game.
Good post. Liked your explanation. Regarding Callaway i think he goes sooner then most of us think. Their are still a some teams in the league that are willing to take chances and from what i saw he increased his stock at the combine

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I am on record that I don't EVER want an Alabama player drafted, and WR is no exception....I am not a fan of Ridley at all, especially @ #19 (I would not want ANY receiver at #19)...I like Moore in the 2nd if he were there, contingent upon them taking a defensive player in round 1...R.Smith or VV in round 1 and Moore in the 2nd, I would be downright giddy
Wow. Never want a player from the perennial best team in the country. That's a bold strategy.

Soonerman1

Reaction score
When did the BIG10 become Conference USA in terms of level of talent? Last i saw Ohio state, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, & Nebraska was sending just about the same amount of top 100 defensive talent to the NFL as Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Florida, And Missouri. And Ridley was hindered by QB play? Guess Moore having to play with 5 different starting QBs due to 4 getting injured this past season is not considered being hindered by poor QB play in a major conference.
I think you misunderstood my point, I’m not a SEC fan at all, and I wasn’t talking of overall talent, I was speaking to the point that they (SEC) puts out the best secondary players by far of all the conferences year in and year out

jay94

Reaction score
You guys read a bit much into workouts. The same was said for Dalvin Cook and hit lit everyone up while he was healthy. The best thing about Ridley's game is he runs very good routes. I'm not necessarily advocating for him for 19, but in the right circumstances definitely.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You have not made a point.

He was the 5th/6th WR. He was the best blocking WR in college that I've ever seen.

He is a minimum wage type player and with very good size and good enough speed.

He got consistent snaps in November and December. Dak never threw him the ball. Asking what the point of him being out there stands. Lucky Whitehead was targeted more often and they actively disliked him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You guys read a bit much into workouts. The same was said for Dalvin Cook and hit lit everyone up while he was healthy. The best thing about Ridley's game is he runs very good routes. I'm not necessarily advocating for him for 19, but in the right circumstances definitely.

People that are saying Ridley had a poor combine are smoking crack. It wasn't as good as Moore's but was still quite good.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If he is all world and worth the 19th pick, why were his numbers against Wisconsin, OSU and Michigan so crappy? Not hating, just saying better production against better competition would offer some proof.

jay94

Reaction score
Terrible qb play. Look at Dez's numbers vs any top ten corners, or with any backup, you will see beyond pathetic.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
People that are saying Ridley had a poor combine are smoking crack. It wasn't as good as Moore's but was still quite good.

Per SPARQ, Ridley had the worst Combine of any WR there. Dude tested out as a 7th percentile NFL athlete.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got consistent snaps in November and December. Dak never threw him the ball. Asking what the point of him being out there stands. Lucky Whitehead was targeted more often and they actively disliked him.

I need help with my memory. What was Tremaine Edmund's 40 Time ?

RandyOh

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my point, I’m not a SEC fan at all, and I wasn’t talking of overall talent, I was speaking to the point that they (SEC) puts out the best secondary players by far of all the conferences year in and year out
2 of the top 3 or 4 DBs coming out are coming from Bama tho so Ridley never had to face 2 of best DBs in the country. They also have a 3rd DB that could go in the mid rounds in Wallace. Ohio State, Michigan, & Iowa have had some of the best DBs in the country the last few years including 2 of the top Corners in this years draft.