D-Law is Overrated

RS12

Reaction score
I would put him more in the long line of guys who Jerry paid that got overpaid and under delivered. Run stuffers don't command that much of the salary cap.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The times we did get close to Brady he heaved it for a big completion. That is one savvy experienced qb....perhaps goat indeed.

Can we give it a couple more regular games please.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Cowboys 1 of 2 teams who did not record a sack week 1. Team dlaw - i understand the pressure is nice but no one else is getting home.

HE was paid as a guy to get home, not lead the league in almost. Those pressures did not stop TB from running their game plan. Sacks change games - he is just not a game changer, he will affect the game but not enough to warrant a 105M cap hit

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The guy is overrated, period. If we needed a run stopping DE then we will have a different conversation. IDK how tf this guy performs during a contract year, FTag year and then disappears. It's the same thing with Jaylon - how do you go side to side and then can't do it anymore?

Jaylon - probably rehabbed his a** off to get on the field. Once paid - that ethic is no more and it's very, very hard to get back there a third time physically.

Dlaw - I do not even expect this guy to get a sack. At all. He will be rated by another corporate entity like PFF as an elite run defender - you guys all know how this works. Eye test, against RT he is literally not there anymore I need the guy to have 10+ sacks. You look at other DE's around the league i.e. Max Crosby from last night and think wow imagine we had someone like that. Very disappointed and I've given him a very long leash for years now.

I havent heard anyone say he isnt overrated.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The guy is overrated, period. If we needed a run stopping DE then we will have a different conversation. IDK how tf this guy performs during a contract year, FTag year and then disappears. It's the same thing with Jaylon - how do you go side to side and then can't do it anymore?

Jaylon - probably rehabbed his a** off to get on the field. Once paid - that ethic is no more and it's very, very hard to get back there a third time physically.

Dlaw - I do not even expect this guy to get a sack. At all. He will be rated by another corporate entity like PFF as an elite run defender - you guys all know how this works. Eye test, against RT he is literally not there anymore I need the guy to have 10+ sacks. You look at other DE's around the league i.e. Max Crosby from last night and think wow imagine we had someone like that. Very disappointed and I've given him a very long leash for years now.
Over rated by who? Most fans can't stand him.....I think he's the best we got and would be great wit a decent DT to take up blocks and let him play....

Praxit

Reaction score
.oh oh, Philly imposter. Alert. McNabb poster in background.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
NO he did not .......read a tweet that had him top 5 ( pressures ). DLaw is one of the hardest-working players on the team......clickbait thread

In 2021, Lawrence had 0 pressures and is not even ranked within the top 100 of the NFL for QB pressures. In 2020, Lawrence ranked 40th in the NFL in QB pressures with 26 pressures. In 2019, Lawrence ranked 30th in the NFL in QB pressures with 29. In 2018, Lawrence ranked 13th in the NFL in QB pressures with 42.

Keep in mind when viewing these stats that Lawrence got his $100M+ extension in early 2019 after playing 2018 under the franchise tag. So, PRIOR to his extension he was near the Top 10 in the NFL in QB pressures while AFTER getting paid he dropped down to 30th and 40th respectively. Also keep in mind that in 2018 PRIOR to getting his extension Lawrence ranked 18th in the NFL in QB sacks with 10.5 yet AFTER his extension Lawrence ranked 75th in 2019 with 5 sacks and 37th in 2020 with 6.5 sacks.

Bottom line is Lawrence got paid and stop being a top tier pass rushing DE and is now more of a run defending DE......certainly not worth the $25M in 2021, $27M in 2022, and $29M in 2023 he is counting against the salary cap.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not overrated, except by Jerry.

When DLaw was holding off on his surgery while negotiating, the overriding sentiment on these boards was that he is a good but not great player. That's pretty much what the huge majority of Cowboys fans think, so I'm not sure where the overrated designation comes from.

Problem is, DLaw is physically incapable of living up to his contract. He's simply a good player being paid as a great player. No way we should've given in to his contract demands. However, Jerry is so bad at drafting DLinemen in general, he pays anyone who even flashes a ton.

kskboys

Reaction score
In 2021, Lawrence had 0 pressures and is not even ranked within the top 100 of the NFL for QB pressures. In 2020, Lawrence ranked 40th in the NFL in QB pressures with 26 pressures. In 2019, Lawrence ranked 30th in the NFL in QB pressures with 29. In 2018, Lawrence ranked 13th in the NFL in QB pressures with 42.

Keep in mind when viewing these stats that Lawrence got his $100M+ extension in early 2019 after playing 2018 under the franchise tag. So, PRIOR to his extension he was near the Top 10 in the NFL in QB pressures while AFTER getting paid he dropped down to 30th and 40th respectively. Also keep in mind that in 2018 PRIOR to getting his extension Lawrence ranked 18th in the NFL in QB sacks with 10.5 yet AFTER his extension Lawrence ranked 75th in 2019 with 5 sacks and 37th in 2020 with 6.5 sacks.

Bottom line is Lawrence got paid and stop being a top tier pass rushing DE and is now more of a run defending DE......certainly not worth the $25M in 2021, $27M in 2022, and $29M in 2023 he is counting against the salary cap.
He never was a top tier pass rushing DE.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He is a top 10 DE and paid like one. End of story.

If you think even the best DE in the game can put up crazy numbers without help on the DL, then you do not understand football period.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

If you think even the best DE in the game can put up crazy numbers without help on the DL, then you do not understand football period.

He had Robert Quinn on his opposite side wherein Quinn outperformed DLaw so it's always someone else's fault but DLaw?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
So would we be ok with D Law if he sucked against the run but got sacks?

He was paid to be a pass rushing DE that got sacks and pressures not to be a run defending DE so that is why people question Lawrence and his contract. Cut his contract in half so he is paid for what he is and not what he used to be.

terra

Reaction score

You are full of it. End of story. The guy does not produce what his contract demands. THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He was paid to be a pass rushing DE that got sacks and pressures not to be a run defending DE so that is why people question Lawrence and his contract. Cut his contract in half so he is paid for what he is and not what he used to be.
What he is "paid to do" and what he does is completely different. Jerry gave him the money. Just because he paid him to be a pass rusher doesn't mean he's one lol.