D-Law is Overrated

CCBoy

Reaction score
NO he did not .......read a tweet that had him top 5 ( pressures ). DLaw is one of the hardest-working players on the team......clickbait thread
Just how many games that were on the line with end of game looming, do you recall Lawrence wrapping things up for Dallas? C'mon, refresh all of our memories. Doing one's job is a team building item, but being paid top shelf has to be earned. Not ball park related.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Take this in Jesse just said on the podcast Dlaw and Randy were not in on Brady's last series for 3 consecutive plays. That's literally a joke - I need to go back and check to confirm but wow...
I yelled at the tv when i saw this. I dont wth these coaches are thinking. They do it on big 3rd downs too. Every other $100m player on other teams play 85%+ snaps. D law is at 60-65% every year its disgusting tbh and i blame the coaches.

Just to keep it in persepctive. JJ watt come back from his pec tear and played 85% of those snaps

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Raiders DE Clelin Ferrell, the 4th pick in the 2019 draft, was a healthy scratch against the Ravens on Monday.

At least Lawrence is out there. La’el Collins can’t even be bothered to pee in a cup.

Loso86

Reaction score
The guy is overrated, period. If we needed a run stopping DE then we will have a different conversation. IDK how tf this guy performs during a contract year, FTag year and then disappears. It's the same thing with Jaylon - how do you go side to side and then can't do it anymore?

Jaylon - probably rehabbed his a** off to get on the field. Once paid - that ethic is no more and it's very, very hard to get back there a third time physically.

Dlaw - I do not even expect this guy to get a sack. At all. He will be rated by another corporate entity like PFF as an elite run defender - you guys all know how this works. Eye test, against RT he is literally not there anymore I need the guy to have 10+ sacks. You look at other DE's around the league i.e. Max Crosby from last night and think wow imagine we had someone like that. Very disappointed and I've given him a very long leash for years now.
Sure but he will be very missed and underrated if he were not on THIS team. Let him get hurt and you'll find out quickly how important he is

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He's not overrated, just overpaid. He's a an excellent player, gets pressure, plays the run extremly well, just hasn't finished with sacks.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
The guy is overrated, period. If we needed a run stopping DE then we will have a different conversation. IDK how tf this guy performs during a contract year, FTag year and then disappears. It's the same thing with Jaylon - how do you go side to side and then can't do it anymore?

Jaylon - probably rehabbed his a** off to get on the field. Once paid - that ethic is no more and it's very, very hard to get back there a third time physically.

Dlaw - I do not even expect this guy to get a sack. At all. He will be rated by another corporate entity like PFF as an elite run defender - you guys all know how this works. Eye test, against RT he is literally not there anymore I need the guy to have 10+ sacks. You look at other DE's around the league i.e. Max Crosby from last night and think wow imagine we had someone like that. Very disappointed and I've given him a very long leash for years now.

You're basing your assessment of his performance against TB? If so, you need to go back and watch every snap and tell me what plays you think another DE would've outperformed him.

1. He was matched up against Wirfs, a 320#, 13th overall pick. They still doubled him on many plays.

2. Brady got the ball out so fast on most pass plays that Superman couldn't have gotten to him.

3. Lawrence played fine. He's isn't the problem on defense.

4. Don't ask a DE to cover Gronk. None have ever been able to.

After reading your post, I rewatched every defensive snap. Did D-Law have a perfect game? No. but he wasn't even a part of the reason we lost. 'You' need a guy to have 10 sacks? No DE is getting 10 sacks playing with our DTs, though if Gregory performs, maybe Lawrence doesn't draw so many double teams.

Do you actually watch the games and understand football, or are you just a stat head?

Reaction score
Tank is a very good player, but he's not a $21M a year player.

Good against the run. A high effort guy. Fair pass rusher but always seems a hearbeat late to the QB.

He's not an elite player even though he makes elite money

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
You are full of it. End of story. The guy does not produce what his contract demands. THAT IS THE END OF THE STORY.

Hmm, who to believe. The guys that run film, NFL personal, NFL players & analysts or some random guy on the internet that has a Rowdy avatar?

basel90

Reaction score

as usual with jerry , he pays his STARs that HE picked , the results can always be explained away for a million reasons : the defensive scheme , the coach , not getting enough help , etc etc. No one really looks at the results vs cost for each cowboy player. The results will be surprising. Just look at zeke and Dlaw and Jalen etc.

conner01

Reaction score
2.5 sacks per year is worth 105 million ?

There has got to be something here we can't see.
You do realize he doesn’t avg 2.5 sacks per year, right?
Last 4 years he has 36.5
For his career he’s avg 6.5 and that includes his rookie year he had zero
He also avg 13.5 QB hits per year
He is over paid but he is also a very good player
It’s on Jerry that he’s paid like an elite player

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as usual with jerry , he pays his STARs that HE picked , the results can always be explained away for a million reasons : the defensive scheme , the coach , not getting enough help , etc etc. No one really looks at the results vs cost for each cowboy player. The results will be surprising. Just look at zeke and Dlaw and Jalen etc.

How do you determine "jerry's guys"?

Jaylon I get....that seemed a pet project.

Is it when you don't agree it was a good pick it MUST be "Jerry's guy"?

basel90

Reaction score
How do you determine "jerry's guys"?

Jaylon I get....that seemed a pet project.

Is it when you don't agree it was a good pick it MUST be "Jerry's guy"?
I see you still think Dlaw is a stud . for a 100 mil the results say otherwise.
In Jaylon's case , Jerry bet on getting him cheap and that his rehab will go great blah blah , Did not work for the money spend or the pick wasted.

as for the criteria jerry follows , the palyer has to be someone Jerry selected or traded for and the player has prominence as a Star in the city of the league and sells jerseys .

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Khahil Mack only had 2.5 more sack than D-Law last year
Frank Clark had .5 less
Cam Jordon has 1 more
Arik Armastad had 3 less
Trey Flowers has 4.5 less
Shaq Barrett had 1.5 more

These are all guys within $4 mil or so of Lawrence's salary. Most of the other DEs at this salary were injured (Von Miller, Bosa, etc..)

If D-Law is overpaid. Everyone is overpaid.

Truth is, he's paid appropriately and silly casual fans don't understand the market or what he does for a defense. Many team would gladly take on his existing contract.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
You do realize he doesn’t avg 2.5 sacks per year, right?
Last 4 years he has 36.5
For his career he’s avg 6.5 and that includes his rookie year he had zero
He also avg 13.5 QB hits per year
He is over paid but he is also a very good player
It’s on Jerry that he’s paid like an elite player

This is true, but he is not overpaid when you look at the timing of his contract and the guys around him. He is paid appropriately according to the market.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
What he is "paid to do" and what he does is completely different. Jerry gave him the money. Just because he paid him to be a pass rusher doesn't mean he's one lol.

I see, so based on that thinking if Dak was paid to be a QB and stopped passing would you be okay with that as that is exactly what you are saying.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Khahil Mack only had 2.5 more sack than D-Law last year
Frank Clark had .5 less
Cam Jordon has 1 more
Arik Armastad had 3 less
Trey Flowers has 4.5 less
Shaq Barrett had 1.5 more

These are all guys within $4 mil or so of Lawrence's salary. Most of the other DEs at this salary were injured (Von Miller, Bosa, etc..)

If D-Law is overpaid. Everyone is overpaid.

Truth is, he's paid appropriately and silly casual fans don't understand the market or what he does for a defense. Many team would gladly take on his existing contract.

Mack is an OLB but he has 17.5 sacks compared to DLaw's 11.5 in the same time period. (#5 OLB salary cap hit at $14.6M)

Clark played in less games and has 14 sacks in the same time period. (#1 DE salary cap hit at $25.8M)

Jordan has 23 sacks in the same time period. (#12 DE salary cap hit at $9.3M)

Armstead has 13.5 sacks in the same time period. (#8 DE salary cap hit at $12.4M)

Flowers is an OLB and has missed 12 games in the same time period and has 9 sacks. (#3 OLB salary cap hit at $19.9M)

Barrett is an OLB and has 27.5 sacks in the same time period. (#24 OLB salary cap hit at $5M)

So based on your examples of OLB's and DE's only Clark is counting more than DLaw and only Flowers had less sacks (due to injury) from 2019-2020, the time period AFTER DLaw got his extension. In other words, others are performing during this period yet DLaw has regressed.