Dak’s 1st year starting vs. Mahomes

Crypto

Reaction score
Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Tim Tebow could put up 8 points.
It matters. No one else better available for our situation over last 2yrs. Plus our preseason was not used to prepare, it was scouting.

shabazz

Reaction score
Dallas has corrupted Dak. They are forcing him in a playing style that doesn't suite him.

Couldn’t agree with you more. The unmitigated gall to ask him to throw with accuracy and maybe, just maybe, occasionally ask him to throw for over 200 yards. Btw, the Matt Ryan is 275 yards and 2 Tds against the Unbeatable Panthers defense today. So there’s that

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
playcalling improvements or not, the open wr was there last week for Dak to have 300+ yards based on his incompletes alone and he failed big time. Who knows how much more we could've had on offense if he connected on what we saw was wide open.

Then its up to the coaches to tell Dak to throw the damn ball. Read what the OP is stated. Maholmes offense is made for quick reads without him having to think. Why not simplify it for Dak like it was in his rookie year?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im watching the Chiefs and Steelers, and what I’m seeing with Mahomes is similar to what we saw from Dak in 2016 in that there is no overthinking - just drop back and throw to the open man rather than holding the ball while surveying the whole field looking for something better. It helps Mahomes that his arm is stronger than Dak’s, but the quick decision and getting the ball out of his hands is a big key. Dak will never have the big arm, but I think he can still be very effective if he doesn’t try to overthink and do too much - like in 2016.

You need Glasses bud.........:eek:

InTheZone

Reaction score
Then its up to the coaches to tell Dak to throw the damn ball. Read what the OP is stated. Maholmes offense is made for quick reads without him having to think. Why not simplify it for Dak like it was in his rookie year?
dudes are getting open pretty quickly, and staring them down. What you're asking this offense is to run some peewee pass offense for Dak. Dak can't even do the basics right now.

Crypto

Reaction score
Ultimately, it doesn't matter. Tim Tebow could put up 8 points.
It matters. No one else better available for our situation over last 2yrs. Plus our preseason was not used to prepare, it was scouting.
he did play in the preseason and he looks worse than last year. We need Dak to show up now, for the sake of the team and the key pieces we have currently.
You can't force greatness, it reveals itself :) 2nd half today!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
dudes are getting open pretty quickly, and staring them down. What you're asking this offense is to run some peewee pass offense for Dak. Dak can't even do the basics right now.

Im saying get Dak out of the pocket, roll him out, and play to his strengths and a mobile QB. Im not saying Dak is all pro. You should go back read my previous posts.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Brady is the same way. If memory serves me correct his scouting report said he wasn't big and had an average to below average arm. His OL hasn't been like ours but he gets the ball out of his hands so quickly to whoever is open.

Dak has plenty of arm strength.

Daks problem right now is between his ears.

Having Linehan and Garrett as your coaches and cutting Dez Bryant doesn’t help either.

JDSmith

Reaction score
According to NextGen stats Dak's time to throw was 2.88 seconds as a rookie - 4th from the slowest. Last Sunday it was 3.1 seconds - 4th from the slowest.

Dak never got the ball out quickly, he just had ridiculously good protection.

rags747

Reaction score
Im watching the Chiefs and Steelers, and what I’m seeing with Mahomes is similar to what we saw from Dak in 2016 in that there is no overthinking - just drop back and throw to the open man rather than holding the ball while surveying the whole field looking for something better. It helps Mahomes that his arm is stronger than Dak’s, but the quick decision and getting the ball out of his hands is a big key. Dak will never have the big arm, but I think he can still be very effective if he doesn’t try to overthink and do too much - like in 2016.
No comparison, Mahomes is a stud and was a stud draft pick. The kid is lighting it up today, a young Romo...GUNSLINGER with 6 td's. I am truly envious of him today.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No comparison, Mahomes is a stud and was a stud draft pick. The kid is lighting it up today, a young Romo...GUNSLINGER with 6 td's. I am truly envious of him today.

You didn’t bother reading the OP did you? I didn’t say Dak had the same talent level.

Aven8

Reaction score
I hear everybody saying we should have traded for Wentz or Mahomes. Two reasons why it did not happen. Are front office (Jones family) is not smart enough to make this deal. If you remember the the Eagles got their pick back by making a trade with Vikings. Imagine if we had made the trade for Wentz. Bridgewater gets injured the Vikings come calling. We would have kept Romo. The Vikings might have offered a first and a second for Romo. Finally we were all in on Dak. We probably did not even look at or scout Mahomes. The front office is not savy enough to make this type of move.

:hammer:

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The fact that Garrett et al are still running football operations in Arlington is sign enough Jerry does not concern himself with Dak's development. Last year was the opportunity to get a QB whisperer.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to NextGen stats Dak's time to throw was 2.88 seconds as a rookie - 4th from the slowest. Last Sunday it was 3.1 seconds - 4th from the slowest.

Dak never got the ball out quickly, he just had ridiculously good protection.

It’s a skewed stat. Notice the slowest times are generally with QBs who are more prone to scrambling and who run more plays where they roll out. I’m confident if you could find stats on time while throwing from the pocket the numbers would be different.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that Garrett et al are still running football operations in Arlington is sign enough Jerry does not concern himself with Dak's development. Last year was the opportunity to get a QB whisperer.

Last year they were coming off a season in which Dak set rookie passing records. It would have been stupid to change things up at that point.