Twitter: Dak’s 2021 tag impact on the Cowboys

Kingofholland

Reaction score

I appreciate the analysis of the cap equilivant, but what he doesn't mention is all contract values would logically have to go down. There would be 6 teams with decent cap space, but only 1 could could afford a 30 million+ contract. 22 teams would also be over the cap, so yeah Dak isn't getting close to a 37 million contract if the cap goes down that much.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, not if they do what they should’ve done this offseason and slap the non exclusive franchise tag on him. If a team makes an offer we can either match it and sign him or let him go and get that team’s next two first round draft picks. I wouldn’t call that getting nothing.
Yeah....good luck in 2021 getting someone to not only sign him to a big time deal but trading two 1sts to do it. That's the hole the Cowboys put themselves in. It makes more sense for a team to wait until Dak is released than to trade two 1sts for him.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
You don’t know know that for sure. But what we do know for a fact is the lowest the cap will be is 175MM. That was the agreement the owners made with the NFLPA. So no, the cap cannot go lower than 175MM.

Have you not been paying attention to what's going on in the world.....there's going to be NO fans in the seats, massive loss of revenue....

Sydla

Reaction score
Have you not been paying attention to what's going on in the world.....there's going to be NO fans in the seats, massive loss of revenue....

The deal reached, as widely reported by just about everyone, will set the floor at 175MM. It won’t be lower, can only be higher if revenues are better than projected.

Are you disputing the notion the cap won’t be below 175MM?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There won't be. There also won't be stadium expenses and we know with the desperation of sports right now ratings will be through the roof. We know the floor is 175 million....but I think its far too early to tell what the ceiling is. The fact the league agreed to a floor of 175 million tells me they don't believe they will they will take much of a hit revenue wise.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Yeah....good luck in 2021 getting someone to not only sign him to a big time deal but trading two 1sts to do it. That's the hole the Cowboys put themselves in. It makes more sense for a team to wait until Dak is released than to trade two 1sts for him.
He won’t be released. In the scenario where he’s slapped with the non-exclusive tag, he’ll either play on the tag, end up signing a contract with the team, or he’ll have to sit out the season. He will NOT just be released. EVER.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
So basically this is a reminder Cowboys screwed up again? They are at BEST going to overpay for him or at worst lose him for nothing. Great.
with the cap situation going forward i think this will be daks last year in dallas he has wanted to get to free agency that was his agents goal and i think he will be there next year with a reduced cap

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He won’t be released. In the scenario where he’s slapped with the non-exclusive tag, he’ll either play on the tag, end up signing a contract with the team, or he’ll have to sit out the season. He will NOT just be released. EVER.
I'm saying after the 2nd tag....he's not signing another tag and the Cowboys won't sign him to one either.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I'm saying after the 2nd tag....he's not signing another tag and the Cowboys won't sign him to one either.
Maybe not. So be it. I’d rather just tag and trade him if he doesn’t want to be here. My guess is he will agree to a contract next offseason.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maybe not. So be it. I’d rather just tag and trade him if he doesn’t want to be here. My guess is he will agree to a contract next offseason.
As would I but what team is trading for his 37 million dollar tag for just 1 year? What is the market for that?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Me thinks the FO low balled Dak. And I don’t blame them. With so much uncertainty why tie up so much of your salary cap on a B+ player

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
They would absolutely have to do that if the cap fell by too much. They might still do it. But that's not painless either. The cap would be stagnant for several years.
Do you realize that Dallas has almost all of its core locked up for yrs that wouldnt affect them much? Guys that they cant lose are Gallup and Vander Esch. Other than that who else? Guys like Woods, Chidobe, Lewis, Williams can all be replaced. The F.O has done a damn good job looking at the future for this team.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
It seems like the expectation is that the cap should drop more than $25m for next year but they aren't going to let it go too far. There have been articles claiming up to $70m if there was no agreement.

The plan looks to be to spread that $70m over multiple seasons with a maximum hit of $25m. In a worst case scenario, the $175m cap could stay the same for multiple years until the deficit is "paid back" to the owners.

Todd France is a complete idiot. He apparently doesn't read the newspapers. Players salaries are going to be depressed for several years.

Yup, but people think this is exclusive to the Cowboys. This kind of issue would be for every team except maybe the colts and dolphins who never spend money. They always in the top 5 in cap space every yr.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
At least with 4-12, you can get yourself a franchise prospect QB.
With 8-8 you get Dak excuses and a Pepsi.

Good luck with that.

Drafting a QB, even with a high pick, is a crap shoot at best. The odds are we will end up with a QB who isn’t as good as Dak.

Since this is likely Dak’s last year as a Cowboy we should find out soon enough.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This is the alternative. Otherwise it would drop much further if they are forced to stick to the current setup.[/QUOT

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/7/23/21335270/nfl-salary-cap-revenue-loss-coronavirus
The players would prefer to make up for lost revenue by borrowing from future years, especially those beyond 2022, when new TV deals are expected to increase revenues. The initial counterproposal the NFLPA made to the NFL involved keeping this year’s cap as is and spreading the cap hit from the revenue loss over 2022 to 2030, a desire NFLPA president J.C. Tretter, a center for the Cleveland Browns, also outlined in a letter to agents sent this Wednesday and obtained by the NFL Network.

“If we had our preference we would never want the players of this year, and to a certain extent next year, to unfairly bear the brunt of a massive decrease in revenue in football,” Smith told me. “They are taking the most risk by coming back to work at this point in time.”

That’s the central sticking point: The players want the losses to be felt gradually over time, rather than those taking the risk of playing this upcoming season bearing the brunt of projected losses. The league’s initial proposal would have the players shoulder their part of the losses more immediately.

Flamma

Reaction score
Do you realize that Dallas has almost all of its core locked up for yrs that wouldnt affect them much? Guys that they cant lose are Gallup and Vander Esch. Other than that who else? Guys like Woods, Chidobe, Lewis, Williams can all be replaced. The F.O has done a damn good job looking at the future for this team.

Yes. I was talking in general. Dallas shouldn't be too bad off. While some guys cap hit will go up, others like Crawford and Lee probably won't be on the team next year. So it's kind of a wash.