Video: Dak’s contract will cripple the Cowboys

Hadenough

Reaction score
Gotcha. So all QB have games where they struggle, but Dak is the only one it counts against.
But the other QBs find a way to fight through their struggles and get that W. The reason Dak can't do that is his arm strength and accuracy are not great to begin with and when he loses confidence he just isn't willing to make those tough throws to get his team going. He is a front runner who can pound bad teams.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
But the other QBs find a way to fight through their struggles and get that W. The reason Dak can't do that is his arm strength and accuracy are not great to begin with and when he loses confidence he just isn't willing to make those tough throws to get his team going. He is a front runner who can pound bad teams.

Like who, sir? Who are these mythical QBs who have never lost a game.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

I'll help you.

Check out Russell Wilson's game against LA Rams (who Dak beat, btw) or Arizona.

Check out some of Watson's games against Tampa Bay or Denver.

I could go on and on, but I know it doesn't matter because you don't care about facts

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'll help you.

I could go on and on, but I know it doesn't matter because you don't care about facts
Wilson also beat the 49rs.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'll help you.

You look at the common games with Dak and Wentz. Wentz lost to Miami and Detroit but beat the Jets, Packers, Bills, Bears.
And? What is you point?
Point being that Wilson was able to beat one of the best defenses and strongest teams in the league.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You look at the common games with Dak and Wentz. Wentz lost to Miami and Detroit but beat the Jets, Packers, Bills, Bears.

Point being that Wilson was able to beat one of the best defenses and strongest teams in the league.

And there are like 2 other QB’s in entire league that are as good as Wilson. Teams can spend decades trying to find QB’s as good as Wilson.

So if the argument is that you shouldn’t sign a QB unless they’re as good as Wilson. Ok, but just recognize that you’re going to be drafting a QB in round 1 every 4-5 years and probably won’t find one as good as him for a long while. Just based on the odds.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hey, hold on bud Dak beat the Jets, Packers, Bills, Bears,.................

a-long-time-ago-in-a-galaxy-far-far-away-free-star-wars-printable-sign-1.jpg

Hadenough

Reaction score
And there are like 2 other QB’s in entire league that are as good as Wilson. Teams can spend decades trying to find QB’s as good as Wilson.

So if the argument is that you shouldn’t sign a QB unless they’re as good as Wilson. Ok, but just recognize that you’re going to be drafting a QB in round 1 every 4-5 years and probably won’t find one as good as him for a long while. Just based on the odds.
I totally get that and that is exactly why Dak has no business asking for Wilson money. Especially with as many games this past year where he layed an egg.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I totally get that and that is exactly why Dak has no business asking for Wilson money. Especially with as many games this past year where he layed an egg.

If that’s how you feel. That’s fine. I just think people
Who are worried about crippling the cap, should also be willing to admit that drafting busts at QB carries just as much risk of crippling the team.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Some fan as always said this since we have had free agency, wasn't true then and ain't true now.

kskboys

Reaction score
Some fan as always said this since we have had free agency, wasn't true then and ain't true now.
That big contracts can cripple a team? Of course that's true, there's really no debate there.

csirl

Reaction score
Yet you missed the obvious point that if you are able to retain your strong veteran QB you don't have to roll the dice on 50/50 odds or worse.

Aside from that, the 50/50 I mentioned still applied only to a high draft pick. If drafting mid to late 1st round, or later in the draft than that, the odds are well below 50/50.

Dalton's in his 30s and is only on a 1 year contract. If he plays well, he'll have to be paid big bucks in 2021. I'd prefer to roll the dice next year. Maybe sign a vet or retain Dalton for a year or two. We've a good young team and it would be a shame not to try and draft an elite QB before the window closes.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton's in his 30s and is only on a 1 year contract. If he plays well, he'll have to be paid big bucks in 2021. I'd prefer to roll the dice next year. Maybe sign a vet or retain Dalton for a year or two. We've a good young team and it would be a shame not to try and draft an elite QB before the window closes.
The "window" is a fallacy. The "window" was supposed to have closed with Romo and Witten. It didn't. If a team drafts well and makes good choices they replace players. The players don't all just disappear at once without a team having an ability to find other quality players. If they don't, the team falters, but that's because of bad drafting and bad choices, not because there is some imaginary window that necessitated it.

You really need to think through this "elite QB" thing a little. Right now Mahomes is elite. Rodgers is elite. Most would probably also say Wilson is elite, and many would say Brees and Brady are still elite, although they may not be what they once were. That's 5 players that entered the league of a 20 year time span. 5 players out of 20 years, only 2 of which have entered the league in the last 10 years … let that sink in. That's how rare "elite" is at the QB position.

A team can either get the best they can out of the next level of QB outside of the elite level and build an overall team that can win, or they can keep dumping QB after QB chasing that very rare "elite" guy, in which case the odds are very high the team will end up dooming itself to perpetual failure. In short, it's nonsense to think "elite" is an easily attainable thing at QB, or even a reasonably attainable thing. It is, in fact, very rare.

csirl

Reaction score
The "window" is a fallacy. The "window" was supposed to have closed with Romo and Witten. It didn't. If a team drafts well and makes good choices they replace players. The players don't all just disappear at once without a team having an ability to find other quality players. If they don't, the team falters, but that's because of bad drafting and bad choices, not because there is some imaginary window that necessitated it.

You really need to think through this "elite QB" thing a little. Right now Mahomes is elite. Rodgers is elite. Most would probably also say Wilson is elite, and many would say Brees and Brady are still elite, although they may not be what they once were. That's 5 players that entered the league of a 20 year time span. 5 players out of 20 years, only 2 of which have entered the league in the last 10 years … let that sink in. That's how rare "elite" is at the QB position.

A team can either get the best they can out of the next level of QB outside of the elite level and build an overall team that can win, or they can keep dumping QB after QB chasing that very rare "elite" guy, in which case the odds are very high the team will end up dooming itself to perpetual failure. In short, it's nonsense to think "elite" is an easily attainable thing at QB, or even a reasonably attainable thing. It is, in fact, very rare.

Just to clarify, what I meant by elite is a solid NFL starter or better - of which there are c.25 QB's in the league at any given time. A player who is good enough to start provided they are healthy. Good enough that upgrading the position isnt constantly your number 1 priority. I think this Cowboys team can win with this level of player.

I don't think it's possible to consistently win with the category of QB just below this level- you know, the type who is essentially solid backup level - might win a couple of games in relief or have a brief purple patch in their career. I dont think Cowboys fans should accept a starting QB who is maybe in the 25 to 50th best QB in the league - not hard to do better.