Dak’s third down rating

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
He's not lying though, I would be curious to see how many 3 & +10 yards we've had compared to others in the league. We have been getting killed by penalties and getting behind the chains this year.
I agree those stats aren't taken into consideration but in reality what would happen if they did? Dak might move up or down a couple of spots at best, he is not going to all of a sudden jump into the top 10 or 15 because the stats would be applied for all QB's

droopdog7

Reaction score
I like Dak. I haven’t written him off yet, but I’m very, very worried at this point. Even the Detroit game that to most was a step in the right direction still gives me pause because by today’s NFL standards I thought it was a very “B-“ type game and I don’t like the thought that the ceiling for our QB just might be B-. But time will tell on that.

But for the blind Dak supporters, I truly am at a loss. It’s clear he’s been the problem with the offense thus far. Not 100% of the problem obviously, but by far the biggest problem. The excuses provided for Dak just don’t ring true. Because Tyron isn’t perfect, he somehow is now a liability to Dak. Well the metrics say otherwise. The receivers are dropping the ball all over the place. Well the metrics say otherwise. The OL isn’t giving Dak time. Well the metrics say otherwise. The OL doesn’t blow open holes anymore. Well the metrics say otherwise. Then when presented with the metrics you get “that can’t be right.” It really is hilarious. No one is saying the Dak supporters have to give up on him. But to be in denial that he’s mostly played like a bottom 5 QB to this point especially in the face of all of that data is baffling.
Great post and agree 99.9%. The only thing I disagree is the part that you are baffled. It’s totally predictable that these folks would go down with the ship. It’s classic denial.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I agree those stats aren't taken into consideration but in reality what would happen if they did? Dak might move up or down a couple of spots at best, he is not going to all of a sudden jump into the top 10 or 15 because the stats would be applied for all QB's
We will never know where he would end up on the list because you don't know what plays we would call or what coverages the defenses will run. Whole dynamic is changed from a 3 & 2 to a 3rd & 12 because of a holding call. The offense as a whole in the first 3 weeks looked like a team that wasn't ready to play. Stupid mistakes and penalties plagued us.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Great post and agree 99.9%. The only thing I disagree is the part that you are baffled. It’s totally predictable that these folks would go down with the ship. It’s called denial.
It's almost like how you guys stayed in the foxhole with romo for a DECADE! I knew after 2007 he wouldn't win ****. Now if a good qb is available in the draft I would not be against drafting him if Dak can't get it together.

droopdog7

Reaction score
We will never know where he would end up on the list because you don't know what plays we would call or what coverages the defenses will run. Whole dynamic is changed from a 3 & 2 to a 3rd & 12 because of a holding call. The offense as a whole in the first 3 weeks looked like a team that wasn't ready to play. Stupid mistakes and penalties plagued us.
Here are food for thought. Many of the stats are surprising for posters who want to blame everyone around dak. These posters are biased and have incredibly selective memory.

My guess is, this argument, if the stats existed, would be no different than the others. I’d bet they would show that first downs are not getting called back at the rate you suggest. And that they are not getting called back significantly more than the average team.

droopdog7

Reaction score
It's almost like how you guys stayed in the foxhole with romo for a DECADE! I knew after 2007 he wouldn't win ****. Now if a good qb is available in the draft I would not be against drafting him if Dak can't get it together.
If dak can’t get it together, I’d say draft a qb in the first round and sell the farm to move up if you have to. Make no mistake about it, dak is playing for his job this season. If what we see is what we get, it’s going to be next man up.

Ken

Reaction score
OK.

If you can back that up with real stats then we have something to analyze and discuss.
Go back and look at the two games i broke down every pass and showed where there was called screens on 3rd and long or balls were dropped on 3rd downs.

That should give you a head start to see that what i am saying is accurate.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If dak can’t get it together, I’d say draft a qb in the first round and sell the farm to move up if you have to. Make no mistake about it, dak is playing for his job this season. If what we see is what we get, it’s going to be next man up.
I don't think many here disagree with this even if they are dak fans. Which every person here should be if they are a cowboys fan. But I would assume most here that dislike are probably good friends with the superintendent talking about Deshaun Watson.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Safe to say since two different credible sites have the cowboys as one of the teams with the least amount of dropped passes, there's gotta be something to it

Some folks barely watch anyone other than the Cowboys, so they know every drop our boys make - no other team could possibly have more! :muttley:

jwitten82

Reaction score
But the op posted stats that showed we arent even good at 3rd and short.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Go back and look at the two games i broke down every pass and showed where there was called screens on 3rd and long or balls were dropped on 3rd downs.

Lol yes, im sure you are more reliable and unbiased then every source in this thread.

JustChip

Reaction score
So all these stats are wrong

On everything

:muttley::facepalm::popcorn:

I mean they are from ESPN and not Johnny down the street

That’s true; however, stats are nothing more than a mathematical result based on a given set of input variables regardless of who compiles them. Any stat is only useful if one knows the input variables used and the formula used to output the result. And even then, it’s folly to view any single stat in isolation. E.g., many would view a team averaging 34 minutes ToP as positive, but if they’re only averaging .5 points per minute & the opponents are averaging 1.0 ppm, they likely have a losing record.

T-RO

Reaction score
As a fan I am past the point of arguing what Dak is or isn't. I will continue to cheer for him because he is the Cowboys quarterback, but should he fail to live up to expectations I will cheer for the organization to replace him in a heartbeat.:)

My sentiments exactly.

It would be much better if he succeeds:
-We won’t have to spend possibly multiple high picks to trade up for a replacement
-We won’t have to groom a replacement and wait for his development
-Dak is a good leader and great guy and I want him to succeed

But the last dozen games have been mostly gloomy

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
And there’s been plenty of times the Oline failed to to its job. Too many times Dak has been under pressure from the snap. Let’s just be real here. Dak has had enough trouble on his own accord without you blaming him for things he cannot control. Fact of the matter is that our Oline is no longer superior as it once was.

We can all point to a play and go "See?!" but the cumulative numbers over 4 games tell a story:

Dallas leads the NFL in average per rush. Zeke's great, but someone is blocking too.

Only 3 starting QBs average more time to throw than Dak, and none of them are great QBs (because great ones get rid of the ball).

Despite that time to throw, only 9 QBs have gotten hit more than Dak and only 5 have been sacked more (because others get rid of the ball).

Dak's hesitation is his biggest weakness. Whether he can't see the field or he's too cautious to throw it the results are the same - not good enough.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You’re on record saying that Dak sucks. Hell, you’re on record saying that every Cowboy sucks.

You're on record of making stuff up about other posters to position yourself as Super Fan, in your own mind. How dare anyone be objectively critical of the Cowboys!

6b5b19e27ed13f1544bafdfb948e5b91_400x400.jpeg

Righting the wrongs on Cowboys Zone, one post at a time! :muttley:

Gator88

Reaction score
It's not like it was a genius take to predict that the Cowboys wouldn't do anything with one of the most inept GMs ever running the show. You could have replaced Romo with your choice of QB for their entire career and they would most likely have not won anything either.

JustChip

Reaction score
You're on record of making stuff up about other posters to position yourself as Super Fan, in your own mind. How dare anyone be objectively critical of the Cowboys!

6b5b19e27ed13f1544bafdfb948e5b91_400x400.jpeg

Righting the wrongs on Cowboys Zone, one post at a time! :muttley:
Not making a comment either way on the validity, but giving you a like for the creativity and humor. Me likes it.

Sydla

Reaction score

You made the claim. You need to back it up with real stats. No one should have to read through your game logs to figure it out.

You made the claim. Now back it up with statistical proof.