Dak ain't going anywhere

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand all of the naysayers will continue to call for his ousting and say it’s over but they are in for a rude awakening by the beginning of the season. I’m not here to promote either side but rather state why it’s going a certain way.

The fact Jethro just came out and said there probably wouldn’t be a deal done until Camp or preseason supports what I’ve said from the beginning .

This was basically Option 2 in a thread I posted earlier in the week in why there wouldn't be a deal done by March 13th which also supported my notion we wouldn't be very active in FA.

Waiting until closer to the beginning of season provides Jethro and the Cowboys more leverage. Dak doesn’t want to go into the season without a deal as injuries , poor performance , another playoff disappointment, etc could impact his value in FA.

My instincts have been spot on so far because I have better insights into our owner and his agendas . Jethro has no intentions to move on without Dak. He’s still All In. But this is basically the only leverage he has holding out until the waning hours before the regular season begins.

He knows he’s going to be ripped for caving in to a Market Price type extension and the closer he can push into the beginning of regular season the less time his and Daks opponents have to bash him and Dak before season begins.

It’s his way of attempting to control the narrative in the media which pushing it back is a better storyline for him than caving in. It provides a talking point for those against a resigning that there’s hope.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not going to play Guru here or do I speak to Jerry Jones on a personal level so all we can be sure of is.............

It's March 17th, 2024 and Dak is a Free Agent at the end of the Cowboys season kicking off in Sept.

P.S. Unless by then he is traded or extended, or becomes a post-June 1st, cut to save us 34 million in cap $.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
It makes no sense to resign him right now. That time was before the 13th if they wanted to create space. They completely missed the boat on free agency and if they do give him a deal it would be a typical moronic move from this front office. Make him a June 1st cut and move the hell on already. He’s not worth the money. It’s really time to end this charade.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I don't think hardly any of us here thought he was going anywhere. Jerry thinks RB's are expendable, a dime a dozen, but he absolutely overvalues his QB's. I used to constantly complain about Jerry not addressing a replacement for Romo when he kept getting injured year after year. He just got lucky enough to draft an average to decent QB in Dak in 2016 who was able to step in when, like clockwork, Romo went down in pre season. But no one expected Dak to take the #1 spot his rookie season. He was supposed to be a backup and nothing more. Someone to step in when Romo went down.

And now here we are 8 years later and Jerry is once again overvaluing his QB. He's going to invest and break the bank paying an average QB who can't compete against good teams and sucks in the playoffs. And in the process he will further cripple the team. But so what, Jerry does this every year.

Flamma

Reaction score
We are locking him up for another 4 years at 250 million. This is 100% gonna happen. Not sure why anyone would ever think otherwise.
There is no reason to believe otherwise. But we're not winning anything because they don't do anything to improve the team from the previous season. Paying your players does not improve the team. Drafting players may or may not improve the team. Acquiring better players improve the team. The Cowboys don't go beyond the draft to do that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It makes no sense to resign him right now. That time was before the 13th if they wanted to create space. They completely missed the boat on free agency and if they do give him a deal it would be a typical moronic move from this front office. Make him a June 1st cut and move the hell on already. He’s not worth the money. It’s really time to end this charade.
And you believe this is what Jethro will do?

This thread isn’t about what I think we should or shouldn’t do . It’s what we think our owner will do.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Still a very possible scenario, but its seems off to me.

I don't see the leverage this gives Jerry by waiting.
  • Dak has never given in to Jerry before and still demanded a record contract coming off of a major injury
  • Dak was more than willing to play on the franchise tag in the past, he's shown zero indication that he will do anything but bet on himself
  • Dak set up his last deal specifically so Jerry didn't have this type of control (No trade, no franchise clause), they've literally been planning for this since 2020.
  • It seems idiotic to me that Dak would give Jerry a discount only for him to not spend any money in free agency. Honestly I think a holdout would be more likely than a discount at this point. That protects him from injury and poor performance behind a worse team in 2024

The only reason I can really find to push off a potential deal until August is if the Cowboys want time to explore Dak's off field issues right now. Jerry not participating in free agency to blame Dak for non participation only to pressure Dak into taking less money so they can continue to not sign players is just a total slap in the face to fans.....and that's from both Dak and Jerry's camp.

I actually view it completely differently. Right or wrong I think the Dak era is about to end in Dallas. It seems absolutely ridiculous that Dak would sign anything other than a monster deal with every contractual condition he wants included. He's way too close to the taste of free agency where he would have 10 bidders instantly in 2025. I think it's just as realistic that Dak holds out and demands a trade as it is Dak gives into anything less than a $60M per year extension with a massive signing bonus.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are locking him up for another 4 years at 250 million. This is 100% gonna happen. Not sure why anyone would ever think otherwise.
Not happening............................Yes they called me a fool when I said he won't get extended.
Let's see who has the last laugh here.....................

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not going to play Guru here or do I speak to Jerry Jones on a personal level so all we can be sure of is.............

It's March 17th, 2024 and Dak is a Free Agent at the end of the Cowboys season kicking off in Sept.

P.S. Unless by then he is traded or becomes a post-June 1st cut to save us 34 million in cap $.
And or he’s resigned or extended by September. The option most likely with our ownership.

Big_D

Reaction score
And you believe this is what Jethro will do?

This thread isn’t about what I think we should or shouldn’t do . It’s what we think our owner will do.
I thought Jerry would extend before the 13th and here we are with no deal. So if he could surprise me once he could do it again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I thought Jerry would extend before the 13th and here we are with no deal. So if he could surprise me once he could do it again.
Then I’d argue your instincts were off . There was basically no incentive to get a deal done by March 13th with no intentions for activity in FA. Which I presented .

Big_D

Reaction score
Then I’d argue your instincts were off . There was basically no incentive to get a deal done by March 13th with no intentions for activity in FA. Which I presented .
Then there’s no incentive at all as of right now if it’s not to free up money to actually improve the team.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The OP, Too, Is Extraordinarily Humble

humble.jpg

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It only because his “instincts” are always “right”, unlike the rest of us who were wrong in thinking Garrett was complete garbage
My instincts have been right about this issue and more often about Jethro.

My narrative Garrett was our “ Greatest Puppet” wasn’t advocating he was a good HC.