Dak and Comebacks

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I went down a rabbit hole and looked at all QB comebacks on pro football reference.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/comeback.cgi?player=PresDa01

I looked at almost every one of the top 100 QBs for all-time comebacks. Dak sits just outside the top 100, but something is off.

Almost every QB has a relatively consistent amount of comebacks annually. Maybe you find a two year stretch with low or high comebacks, but regardless of team, every qb is relatively consistent, except Dak…

Dak’s first 3 years he had 14 comebacks (5, 4, 5). That’s pretty impressive. The last 5 seasons? A whopping 5. There were injuries and I’m sure other factors to consider, but Dak has never had more than 2 comebacks any given year since 2018.

I really do think when we look back someday, we are going to admit that injury hampered him more than anyone thought.
I’ve asked myself this and I’m not sure if it’s injury related but there was a time when Dak was clutch and played better when the lights got brighter. I never had concerns from him. He really looks like a shell of himself. I don’t know why this is I don’t know why he doesn’t play smart anymore or why he’s hesitant and has lost his confidence. I’m not even sure if it’s physical.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
As Zeke's production dropped so did Prescott. Those comebacks people ascribe to Dak were largely Zeke and OLine
I don’t think that’s entirely true because even last year he had a few comebacks….it just seem like the game came easier. Now maybe Amari being gone I can see that but anyone being honest on Zeke knows he was never fully Zeke after his rookie season. Zeke hasn’t been Zeke since 2017.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I went down a rabbit hole and looked at all QB comebacks on pro football reference.

I looked at almost every one of the top 100 QBs for all-time comebacks. Dak sits just outside the top 100, but something is off.

Almost every QB has a relatively consistent amount of comebacks annually. Maybe you find a two year stretch with low or high comebacks, but regardless of team, every qb is relatively consistent, except Dak…

Dak’s first 3 years he had 14 comebacks (5, 4, 5). That’s pretty impressive. The last 5 seasons? A whopping 5. There were injuries and I’m sure other factors to consider, but Dak has never had more than 2 comebacks any given year since 2018.

I really do think when we look back someday, we are going to admit that injury hampered him more than anyone thought.
Dak got paid. That coupled with his average to below average talent is what happened.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Injuries have nothing to do with your above remarks.
Dak 666 had 2 QB go down for him to take over a team that was STACKED on the offensive side of the ball!
STACKED......does anyone remember how Zeke was in his rookie year??
Anyone?????????????
The party is over now just a matter of ending this season and say Bye Bye Dakko!!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Injuries have nothing to do with your above remarks.
Dak 666 had 2 QB go down for him to take over a team that was STACKED on the offensive side of the ball!
STACKED......does anyone remember how Zeke was in his rookie year??
Anyone?????????????
The party is over now just a matter of ending this season and say Bye Bye Dakko!!
Dak gets a lot of credit for having an outstanding rookie season, but in reality he spent the season as a bus driver. Zeke is the one who shined the most, not Dak.

McMicah

Reaction score
I’ve asked myself this and I’m not sure if it’s injury related but there was a time when Dak was clutch and played better when the lights got brighter. I never had concerns from him. He really looks like a shell of himself. I don’t know why this is I don’t know why he doesn’t play smart anymore or why he’s hesitant and has lost his confidence. I’m not even sure if it’s physical.
I honestly think it’s the physical cascading into the mental. Like there were 2 49ers plays where Dak rolled to the flat and a LB pursued him and sacked him.

2016-2018 Dak scrambles and KNOWS he has the athleticism to just run it if the LB gets close or even juke him and buy 1 more second to throw. It feels like 2020-present Daks mind wants to do those things and then he remembers he can’t and then can’t make a decision (even to throw it away) and just takes a sack.

I’m sure it sucks not having the athleticism you used to have just a few years prior and I bet that messes with his mind. I still think backyard ball, athletic version of Dak is the best version of him that exists, and without that athlete, he has to be pocket Dak, and man…it just doesn’t seem the same.

zeke21

Reaction score
Dak gets a lot of credit for having an outstanding rookie season, but in reality he spent the season as a bus driver. Zeke is the one who shined the most, not Dak.
I am so glad there are others that saw this and are now coming forward to mention it.

Zeke never got the plaudits for one of the best rookies seasons EVER produced. Instead Dak the QB got the praise and award and glory. It was a mystery then and remains a mystery now.

There is zero doubt that Dak rode Zeke to a very large contract and career. If Zeke isn't here in 2016 then we would not have ever heard of Dak other than a 4th round pick that had to come in due to injuries and lost a lot.

Dak's comeback figures were all during Zeke's prime years.. same as the stats they throw up about his "big play %".. which was all built on the fact that defences were stacked up to stop our run game and Dak often would just need to get the ball to the receiver who was 10 yards in the clear. No one seemed to check that Dak had some of the lowest "through the air" big play stats in the league.. it was mostly YAC that built those numbers.

Still no discussion about the fact that Dak has stood behind an OLine that has never dropped below "5th best" in the league for his entire career. He has ALWAYS had at least 1 All Pro RB and WR. Sometimes he has had multiple all pro WRs. He has consistently had solid to spectacular TE's. Dak has NEVER had to do anything other than drive the bus. I am still at a loss as to how he got the reputation he did. Zeke was running for 110 yards a game... Dak just had to stand there and then wait till the fourth quarter to drop a couple of big PA passes to Dez for TDs and it was Game Over. God that 2016 team was built. If only they had given it back to Romo.

plasticman

Reaction score
You can't determine ranking by the specific number of comebacks because every quarterback played a different number of games.

You must determine the percentage of games that were comebacks and rank accordingly.

When you do that, Dak's rank becomes significantly higher.

jay94

Reaction score
Dak was ascending until his leg got hurt, this year definitely regression, based on seeing some of the play designs and calls I don't believe it's all on Dak.

Aftershock

Reaction score
I am so glad there are others that saw this and are now coming forward to mention it.

Zeke never got the plaudits for one of the best rookies seasons EVER produced. Instead Dak the QB got the praise and award and glory. It was a mystery then and remains a mystery now.

There is zero doubt that Dak rode Zeke to a very large contract and career. If Zeke isn't here in 2016 then we would not have ever heard of Dak other than a 4th round pick that had to come in due to injuries and lost a lot.

Dak's comeback figures were all during Zeke's prime years.. same as the stats they throw up about his "big play %".. which was all built on the fact that defences were stacked up to stop our run game and Dak often would just need to get the ball to the receiver who was 10 yards in the clear. No one seemed to check that Dak had some of the lowest "through the air" big play stats in the league.. it was mostly YAC that built those numbers.

Still no discussion about the fact that Dak has stood behind an OLine that has never dropped below "5th best" in the league for his entire career. He has ALWAYS had at least 1 All Pro RB and WR. Sometimes he has had multiple all pro WRs. He has consistently had solid to spectacular TE's. Dak has NEVER had to do anything other than drive the bus. I am still at a loss as to how he got the reputation he did. Zeke was running for 110 yards a game... Dak just had to stand there and then wait till the fourth quarter to drop a couple of big PA passes to Dez for TDs and it was Game Over. God that 2016 team was built. If only they had given it back to Romo.
He's a gOoD peRsoN tHouGh!!!

McMicah

Reaction score
You can't determine ranking by the specific number of comebacks because every quarterback played a different number of games.

You must determine the percentage of games that were comebacks and rank accordingly.

When you do that, Dak's rank becomes significantly higher.
I didn’t care about total comebacks. I did normalize it to percentage. But my point was that his first 3 years account for almost all of his comebacks, whereas other QBs spread their comebacks pretty consistently across their career. That’s my concern. Any statistician would say there was some step function that occurred between 2018 and 2020 to make that massive drop off. That’s the injury

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Go look up the Oline performances every year. That will tell you much.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

It's his confidence. All of the fans who pick on Dak because it's the easiest "low hanging fruit' isn't helping as much as fans think it is.

That's one of our biggest problems: how rabid our fans are.

McMicah

Reaction score
Go look up the Oline performances every year. That will tell you much.
That doesn’t help. Other QBs have fluctuating O Lines. My sample size is huge and I couldn’t find a single QB with even a 3 year drought in comeback totals. Dak is almost to 5

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That doesn’t help. Other QBs have fluctuating O Lines. My sample size is huge and I couldn’t find a single QB with even a 3 year drought in comeback totals. Dak is almost to 5
Huh? Dak had several comeback game wins just last season. Where are you getting your info from?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Thanks for the research!