Dak and Zeke dont care about championships

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly right.

I would want to get paid as much as I can while I play as hard as I can with the goal of winning a championship.

The two are not mutually exclusive.
Yes, they are. You should do some research. Maxed out contracts keep teams from winning super bowls.

What's wrong w/ being unbelievably rich while winning championships? Why do you need 40 mil/season instead of 30 mil/season?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
They don't have to "pretend it handicaps them", it DOES handicap them. It makes little difference "who made this salary cap", it still has to be dealt with as long as it's in place. Personally I wish they would take their salary cap along with free agency and shove it, and return football to a sport instead of a chaotic money grabbing high dollar free-for-all.

Have you people not learned anything in the last 10 years ? The NFL owners will not give one iota of power away to anyone ...... They guard their power to control everything and anyone in the NFL with their very lives.

They would not do anything that would put something out of their control.

The salary cap is another tool that they use for THIER benefit ...... Make no mistake they have rules in place to pay and do whatever they want as a team ....... The Commanders have been paying like crazy and going beyond the salary cap for 20 years now ...... They have never had to (pay the Piper) ever.

I cannot believe people are still falling for their bullhockey

kskboys

Reaction score
Have you people not learned anything in the last 10 years ? The NFL owners will not give one iota of power away to anyone ...... They guard their power to control everything and anyone in the NFL with their very lives.

They would not do anything that would put something out of their control.

The salary cap is another tool that they use for THIER benefit ...... Make no mistake they have rules in place to pay and do whatever they want as a team ....... The Commanders have been paying like crazy and going beyond the salary cap for 20 years now ...... They have never had to (pay the Piper) ever.

I cannot believe people are still falling for their bullhockey
The business owner has power? No way.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
The bolded is absolutely untrue. Jerry Jones was one of the biggest proponents of bringing on a salary cap. All owners want cost certainty.

Don't know if I agree with that. Jerry had the cash to outspend anybody if he wanted to, while keep his own players and not go broke. The Cowboys were a dynasty at that time -- and because of the success, a money making machine. Why on Earth would Jerry want to "level the playing field"?

Plankton

Reaction score
Don't know if I agree with that. Jerry had the cash to outspend anybody if he wanted to, while keep his own players and not go broke. The Cowboys were a dynasty at that time -- and because of the success, a money making machine. Why on Earth would Jerry want to "level the playing field"?

https://oklahoman.com/article/2509795/dallas-jones-pushes-for-salary-cap

Which brings us back to the original question: Why in the world would Jones be so adamant about pushing for a salary cap after the 1993 season when he realized many of his young stars would soon be asking for hefty raises?

"Between 1992 and 1993, when we won the first Super Bowl, we had 17 new players before there was a salary cap," Jones said. "Had we not made the changes on Casillas and Jimmie Jones, Chad Hennings would still not be on the football field. That's not a negative result with those guys moving on. " Jones says that's just one example. While many would disagree, Jones said it also was healthy for Robert Jones to replace Norton and Shante Carver to step in for Jeffcoat.

"I've always heard from people who have a lot more experience than I have that when you get good teams they basically become an older team. You're reluctant to change. You ride that horse all the way into the ground," Jones said. "But under this system, it forces us to inject younger players into the mix. That could be very healthy for us. " Critics say the cap robs the top teams of their depth, which increases the chances of injuries playing a critical role in the Super Bowl sweepstakes.

You also have to keep in mind that in 1989, the team was losing $1MM per month. Jones had leveraged himself to the hilt in buying the team, and the team had just turned the corner in terms of being a money maker. The team didn't become the real money making monster until the 95 season, when they signed the stadium rights deals with Nike, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and American Express.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Most players dont care about winning a championship. Its about the money.
Perhaps their "Championship" is MONEY? Most know a NFL Championship is very hard to come by if at all, while stuffing their pockets with mad money is much more attainable. There are exceptions and those are the good guys of the NFL. The guys who desire to win and are more about team. The Patriots seem to foster and nurture this mentality. Dallas seems to foster the me first mentality.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yeah let’s pay Dak, Cooper and Zeke so much that they take up 50 percent of the cap.

lol, nice one: 40 + 16 + 22 = 78 million
cap is about 200 million so that is about 39% for 3 players
if they cared about a championship, they would have a meeting between the 3 of them.
perhaps with the upcoming free agents like jaylon and cut a deal among themselves
that is if they want a championship.
that is pretty obvious

Blackspider214

Reaction score
lol, nice one: 40 + 16 + 22 = 78 million
cap is about 200 million so that is about 39% for 3 players
if they cared about a championship, they would have a meeting between the 3 of them.
perhaps with the upcoming free agents like jaylon and cut a deal among themselves
that is if they want a championship.
that is pretty obvious

The owner doesn't care about a championship. He has employed the same loser coach for over a decade. Those 3 players know they are being wasted in this mickey mouse scheme. They know a championship is at 0% with Garrett here. So yeah, get all the money you can. I applaud it.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Most players dont care about winning a championship. Its about the money.

You know the only people who have this mantra of "they should only care about rings!"? Fans. Who sit on the couch and watch games. They don't put their bodies on the line for the sake of entertaining fans. They don't put in all the countless hours of training and practice/studying. And yet you have fans who sit on a couch demanding what they should and shouldn't do. It is flat out ridiculous.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Same thought crossed my mind last night.

When you get into the territory of what these guys are going to get I'd have a hard time prioritizing an extra few mil over the team goal of bringing that trophy home for the fans. I don't expect them to not get theirs. Just keep the big picture front and center and understand that when it's all said and done a championship or two is going to be a much better legacy than being the highest paid at your position for a season.

This is funny, are you talking about the same ones that will scream to cut him as soon as his numbers fall off? Please, pay me and if I win a Championship along the way then great but I'll be a champion at the bank guaranteed. Ask Dirk about taking less.

birdwells1

Reaction score
There’s no guarantees they’ll win a championship if they take less money.

This is a business first. Fans get so caught up in winning they forget the business at hand.

Cowboys will dump him with no loyalty first chance they get or an injury could cut short his career.

"I won't have you disparage this organization like that they would never do a player like that, never". - Allen Hurns.

jujoboys

Reaction score
The OL players took less - that is the comparison to be made.

Zack Martin is the highest paid guard in the league and Travis Fredericks is the 2nd highest paid center in the league. The only player that really gave us a break was Tyron Smith because he allowed Dallas to sign him to an 8 year contract.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Martin is not as good as Zeke. Much better dude, but not the player Zeke is
Don't know if I actually agree with that. People really underrated o-lineman.

Zack Martin when his career is over could realistically be the 3rd interior 1st ballot hall of fame lineman in a 40 year span and be on the all-decade team for 2 different decades. That's beyond generational talent.

There's no freaking way I could say with a straight face "oh yeah Zeke is for sure a better player than Zack Martin". I mean look at Zack last season, he played in pain/injured and finished 1st team all-pro and finished as the ONLY guard in the NFL top 100 list. He's a literally a freak of nature

erod

Reaction score

Zack Martin when his career is over could realistically be the 3rd interior 1st ballot hall of fame lineman in a 40 year span and be on the all-decade team for 2 different decades. That's beyond generational talent.

There's no freaking way I could say with a straight face "oh yeah Zeke is for sure a better player than Zack Martin".
Martin struggled last year in pass protection. He has flaws.

kskboys

Reaction score

There's no freaking way I could say with a straight face "oh yeah Zeke is for sure a better player than Zack Martin".
I'd say the opposite. Zeke is a very good player, but Martin is a freak. Arguments could be made that he's the best player in the NFL.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Martin struggled last year in pass protection. He has flaws.
He struggled and still finished as the only guard in the NFL top 100 and made 1st team all-pro

You literally just proved my point, he's a generational freak. He is literally 5x better than his peers and can outplay them even injured