Video: Dak asked about following Aikman/Staubach's legacy

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Aikman’s career low was a divisional round playoff loss. That was Romo’s peak.

The people that want to group Romo with them have no idea what they’re talking about, Aikman was the prototype pocket passer. It’s night and day on talent, leadership, and ability to win. Dallas wins the super bowl in 2007 or 2014 if they had Aikman at quarterback. Hell maybe even 2009, or did you forget Romo has the #2 ranked defense in the league that year and choked by turning the ball over 3 times in Minnesota?

Respect the history of this franchise, it wasn’t always the clown show it’s been for the past quarter century.
Was he lying in his post. Yall old timers are so sensitive about the past teams.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Aikman’s career low was a divisional round playoff loss. That was Romo’s peak.

The people that want to group Romo with them have no idea what they’re talking about, Aikman was the prototype pocket passer. It’s night and day on talent, leadership, and ability to win. Dallas wins the super bowl in 2007 or 2014 if they had Aikman at quarterback. Hell maybe even 2009, or did you forget Romo has the #2 ranked defense in the league that year and choked by turning the ball over 3 times in Minnesota?

Respect the history of this franchise, it wasn’t always the clown show it’s been for the past quarter century.
Yeah but none of those Romo turnovers were his fault! Recievers ran the wrong routes and anything else that happened wasn't his fault!

Qcard

Reaction score
Yes, he was the HOLDER on that play, not under center as a QB, lol. Most teams don't have their number one QB as the FG holder, he was because he started the season as the number two QB and took over starting during the season. Ok, he goofed as the holder, or it was a bad snap- has nothing to do with him as QB, lol
Great Point!! :hammer:

I am still hurt...

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Aikman was not a game manager. He was the leader of that team. He was deadly accurate. He gave up stats for the better of the team. If Romo would have done that more maybe things would have been different.
I'm a huge Aikman fan. I actually had a dog named Aikman back in the 90s. :laugh:

I would offer you this thought in light of your post here.....

It's much easier to not worry about throwing for a lot of yards when you have 5 road graters and the NFL all time leading rusher in your huddle.

That's not a knock against Troy. Just an honest observation. With the exception of maybe 2013-2014, Romo's Cowboy teams did not have the personnel to line up on people and run at will. Different teams, different strengths, different situations

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"I see a quarterback that was not playing with a great deal of confidence and I think that would be a bit of a concern going into this game," Aikman said in a rather damning observation.

Legend

Reaction score
Guess they are just talking about those 2 QB's legacy's because they won SuperBowls. Romo doesn't have a legacy too, he is statistically the best Dallas Cowboy QB ever, lol. Go by TD's- career and in a season, go by QB rating, yards, etc- its Romo. I realize Aikman had Emmitt and it was a running heavy league back when Staubach played compared to Romo's day. Both Staubach and Aikman were obviously great, I am NOT saying they weren't, but they did have far superior teammates than Romo ever did. Those 70's and 90's teams were stacked with talent on both sides of the ball. Look at who the reserves were on those 90's teams, its incredible - Woodson is about to get in the Hall of Fame and he was a reserve on that first SuperBowl winning team, lol. Also consider the coaches, Staubach had Landry and Aikman had Jimmy - who did Romo have, lol. I just don't get why Romo is excluded from the great Dallas Cowboy QB's list simply because he didn't win a SuperBowl. Dan Marino was great and he never won one. Trent Dilfer was not anywhere near great and he did win one. One guy can only do so much. Its a team sport.Tony Romo is not a better QB than Aikman.
Guess they are just talking about those 2 QB's legacy's because they won SuperBowls. Romo doesn't have a legacy too, he is statistically the best Dallas Cowboy QB ever, lol. Go by TD's- career and in a season, go by QB rating, yards, etc- its Romo. I realize Aikman had Emmitt and it was a running heavy league back when Staubach played compared to Romo's day. Both Staubach and Aikman were obviously great, I am NOT saying they weren't, but they did have far superior teammates than Romo ever did. Those 70's and 90's teams were stacked with talent on both sides of the ball. Look at who the reserves were on those 90's teams, its incredible - Woodson is about to get in the Hall of Fame and he was a reserve on that first SuperBowl winning team, lol. Also consider the coaches, Staubach had Landry and Aikman had Jimmy - who did Romo have, lol. I just don't get why Romo is excluded from the great Dallas Cowboy QB's list simply because he didn't win a SuperBowl. Dan Marino was great and he never won one. Trent Dilfer was not anywhere near great and he did win one. One guy can only do so much. Its a team sport.
Romo is not a better QB than Aikman.

Aikman elevated his play during the post-season unlike Romo.

Look at his passer rating during the 1992 playoffs. It was 100+ in each playoff round but was higher in the SB than the NFC Championship game. Higher in the NFC Championship game than the Divisional round.

Aikman won SB MVP as well.

Aikman was drafted #1 to a bad Cowboys team were he went 0-11 in his first year and played in the best division in football from 1990-1993.

Each year (1990, 1991, 1992, and 1993) the SB winner was from the NFC East.

Romo started in 2006 with a better Cowboy team than the one in 1989.

The 2007 Cowboys team had 13 pro bowlers and a first round bye. And the Cowboys went one and done.

Romo’s playoff record for his first 7 years was I believe 1-4.

Aikman’s was 7-1 with 2 SBs.

Legend

Reaction score
They didn't win those SuperBowls themselves, lol- they had far superior teams to win them with as well as far superior coaches too.
The Cowboys teams during Romo’s first two seasons as a starter for the Cowboys were a lot better than the 1989 and 1990 Cowboys.

The 2007 team went 13-3 and had 13 probowlers.

The 2007 went one and done while the 13-3 Cowboys won the SB.

pitt33

Reaction score
Yes, and I don’t mean to hate on Romo but Troy Aikman is so laughably underappreciated by todays fans who never watched him play and are basing their judgement of him on stats from a completely different era.

Think about this, Aikman played during a time when the league featured QBs in their prime such as…

John Elway
Brett Farve
Jim Kelly
Dan Marino
Steve Young
Warren Moon
Etc

It was probably the greatest era of QB play in NFL history, and Aikman DOMINATED the league from 92-96.

He gets a rap as a game manager because the stats don’t seem laudy by today’s norms, but considering his ~30k passing yards rank him 5th for the 90s with all these QBs playing seems pretty damn good for a “game manager”. The facts are the system he played in hurt his numbers, but he played the position as technically sound as anyone. The accuracy and arm strength was elite, he threw one of the most catchable balls of all time, as pretty to watch as Warren Moon, and the playoff performance is the stuff of legend.

In the 9 seasons spanning 1991 to 1999 we only missed the playoffs ONCE. It’s just absurd the disrespect our own fan base shows him, for what, to try and elevate the legacy of Tony Romo? It’s non sense.
Great post.

I’ll say it again.

Great post.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Danny White getting disrespected, he at least got us to NFC Championship games. Dak seems to be just like Romo to me. Can throw for a bunch of yards but will disappoint you when it counts most. He can still change that legacy though Romo can't.

That may be, but we have really been spoiled at QB as a franchise. The fact that we have had QBs like Staubach, Aikman, White, Romo, Dak, and Meredith is incredible. How many other franchises can say that they even have close to the QBs we've had?

Legend

Reaction score
Lol, we've seen Aikman with the beginning of the clown show and he did nothing, let alone when it had fully set in.

Romo was a better QB than Aikman, learn to separate individual play from team results.
Romo was not a better QB than Aikman.

He never got pass the divisional round of the playoffs even with a stacked 2007 13-3 Cowboys team with 13 pro bowlers.

Legend

Reaction score
Aikman would be in a casket after what Romo went through from 2009 to 2013.

And Aikman looked like absolute crap after he lost a couple of all-pros on offense.
Football in the 1990s was more physical and dangerous than football in Romo’s era.

You can even see a glimpse of it from the commercial below.

1990 - Giants won the SB with good D
1991 - Commanders won the SB with good D
The early 1990s Eagles D were a beast too

From 1989-1990; Aikman took a beating since the Cowboys teams were not as good as the Giants, Commanders, and Eagles.

The NFC East was the best division in football from 1990-1993.

In 1991, the Eagles sacked Aikman 11 times in 1 game.

Legend

Reaction score
I always admired Aikman. Those deep sideline out patterns and the way he timed them with Irvin and put that ball exactly where it needed to be was very impressive. He was also tough as nails. Was above average reading the Defense, no showboating, just played the game at a good hard ethical level. That said I personally don’t view him as one of the greatest of all time. He played in a system and it was a good system. He played amongst what most experts considered the best And most talented team in NFL history. The 92 / 93 Cowboys. That was a team where most of our back ups could be starters on almost any team in the NFL. We had so much talent we didn’t even know what to do with it. And we had a great coach who brought it all together.
The Cowboys became good because of Aikman and the other star players.

Heck in 1992; many felt the 14-2 49ers were the best team in football and Aikman outplayed Steve Young in the NFC Championship game just like he outplayed Brett Favre, Jim Kelly, and other HOF QBs in his era.

Aikman had the most wins in any decade in the 1990s before Brady broke his record.

Legend

Reaction score
Was he lying in his post. Yall old timers are so sensitive about the past teams.
Not sensitive. We watched Aikman, Romo, and Dak live… Romo and Dak are not near as good as Aikman.

Thus, Romo and Dak will not get elected to the NFL HOF.

Legend

Reaction score
Aikman had a mountain for an OL. Not detracting from Troy but yeah..
They eventually became the Great Wall of Dallas after Aikman took beatings in 1989, 1990, and during the early part of 1991 when the Eagles sacked him 11 times in one game.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Romo was not a better QB than Aikman.

He never got pass the divisional round of the playoffs even with a stacked 2007 13-3 Cowboys team with 13 pro bowlers.
Aikman has outright said Romo is a better QB than he was.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Football in the 1990s was more physical and dangerous than football in Romo’s era.

You can even see a glimpse of it from the commercial below.

1990 - Giants won the SB with good D
1991 - Commanders won the SB with good D
The early 1990s Eagles D were a beast too

From 1989-1990; Aikman took a beating since the Cowboys teams were not as good as the Giants, Commanders, and Eagles.

The NFC East was the best division in football from 1990-1993.

In 1991, the Eagles sacked Aikman 11 times in 1 game.

Aikman had a couple seasons before he got protected by a dominant O-Line and still ended up with concussions and back injuries. Spare me. And there were QBs at that time that were brushing things off and playing full seasons. Only Aikman and Young were made of glass, at least Young had an excuse with all the running he did.

Gator88

Reaction score
The Cowboys teams during Romo’s first two seasons as a starter for the Cowboys were a lot better than the 1989 and 1990 Cowboys.

The 2007 team went 13-3 and had 13 probowlers.

The 2007 went one and done while the 13-3 Cowboys won the SB.
LOL. If you compare the 2007 team to its contemporaries and the 1989 team to its contemporaries, the only positions that the 2007 team has an advantage in is QB, TE, and DE.

Legend

Reaction score
Aikman had a couple seasons before he got protected by a dominant O-Line and still ended up with concussions and back injuries. Spare me. And there were QBs at that time that were brushing things off and playing full seasons. Only Aikman and Young were made of glass, at least Young had an excuse with all the running he did.
Aikman played the 1993 SB with a concussion.