Dak beat GB in post-season, Dallas’s defense lost it

khiladi

Reaction score
I agree Dak could've played better, but don't agree that going Zeke dominant was the only reason they were successful on any of their drives. In fact, I think it's the opposite.

On the first drive that you mentioned, Zeke had 3 yards on his first 3 carries (the ensuing 5 yarder was on 4th and short), with all 3 carries coming on early downs, putting the offense in difficult positions.

The key to success on drives appeared to be throwing on first downs. On the first two possessions, there chunk plays to Cooper (the TD throw) and Schultz on first down throws. The 44 yard pass to Gallup was on 1st down. The 12 yard pass to Zeke you mentioned was also a throw on first down.

The first drive was scripted. Running is what gets them the looks. As far as throwing on first, like I said, Linehan was pretty much a run on first guy and teams were generally expecting run. That really is the difference between Moore and Linehan. Moore has thrown a lot more on first down.

Outside that pass to Amari, he was effectively silenced the whole game. This started happening after the Colts game, where we were shut out. Teams didn’t leave him in man without help over the top.

sideon

Reaction score
Plus that awful pic on that quick pass attempt to
Dez in the Green Bay playoff game . Although dez coulda fought for it better
Don't put that on Dez, that was a bad play that GB snuffed out immediately.

School

Reaction score
The first drive was scripted. Running is what gets them the looks. As far as throwing on first, like I said, Linehan was pretty much a run on first guy and teams were generally expecting run. That really is the difference between Moore and Linehan. Moore has thrown a lot more on first down.

Outside that pass to Amari, he was effectively silenced the whole game. This started happening after the Colts game, where we were shut out. Teams didn’t leave him in man without help over the top.

You're right Linehan was a run on first guy. That has been shown, however, to generally be a strategy that hamstrings your offense (with rare exceptions of dominant running teams like the 2014 and 2016 versions). Zeke had 8 first down runs where he gained 3 or fewer (usually fewer) yards. Sure that might create a look every now and then, but overall, I just have a hard time seeing that as anything but a large negative.

khiladi

Reaction score
You're right Linehan was a run on first guy. That has been shown, however, to generally be a strategy that hamstrings your offense (with rare exceptions of dominant running teams like the 2014 and 2016 versions). Zeke had 8 first down runs where he gained 3 or fewer (usually fewer) yards. Sure that might create a look every now and then, but overall, I just have a hard time seeing that as anything but a large negative.

Zeke’s prime, one of his greatness was turning 1 yarders into 3..

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
so you are saying its ALL on the QB and nobody else bears responsibility? so if the QB leads the team to average of 32 points a game, but they lose. is it the QBs fault? or the defense?

Did I say that? I said he is as much to blame as anyone else on the team. Does that sound like "it's all on the QB?"

School

Reaction score
If we had let Dak walk and signed Brady we would have been in the NFC championship game or beyond

Brady (and Brees) were not good today. Yeah Brady was better, but the big difference was that Brees threw interceptions and they were caught, while Brady threw interceptions and one was caught.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Do you get his point about the defense? He’s trying to say it would help if it were better.

Can you see how that is a factor?
No. When it comes to the QB position I compare him to Romo a lot. Now Romo was much better when they ran and stuck with the run but he always played a full game of football. Daks stats are padded big time by huge second half deficits and the most important thing is when/if the game does get close at the end he folds. Sometimes he can't even move the ball and with Romo that was NEVER the case. Always had a chance and with Dak it's painful watching.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
No. When it comes to the QB position I compare him to Romo a lot. Now Romo was much better when they ran and stuck with the run but he always played a full game of football. Daks stats are padded big time by huge second half deficits and the most important thing is when/if the game does get close at the end he folds. Sometimes he can't even move the ball and with Romo that was NEVER the case. Always had a chance and with Dak it's painful watching.
Dak Prescott 4th Quarter stats 258/399 64.66%, 3062 yards, 20Touchdowns, 8 INTs, 96.3 Qb rating, 5 Rushing TDs, 9 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 15 Game-Winning Drive

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/comeback.cgi?player_id=PresDa01

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo had a ton of garbage time stats but it is labeled “with Romo we always had a chance”.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
All I have to say is if Dak had a consistent top 10 defense in his first 4 years he would have made it to the NFC championship game each year minimum.

The front office has wasted 4 years down the drain, pathetic.

Dak's two playoff losses came when the opponent scored 30 or more points.

The Cowboys have never won a playoff game when the opponent scored 30 or more points.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
All I have to say is if Dak had a consistent top 10 defense in his first 4 years he would have made it to the NFC championship game each year minimum.

Do you have any film of Dak out on the field having some sort of seizure trying to warm up before the game? You know, the cock the arm, cock the arm, cock the arm looking like a fool in front of the fans to try and at least look cool. That one of the most stupid warm ups I have ever seen...how embarrassing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I get your point that Dak played well enough to win, but it's still a team game, and if the team didn't beat the Packers, neither did Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Even beyond the preparation, because that was an at-the-snap penalty, Garrett could have called a timeout to reset the play and get out of it. But neither he or the coaches even realized what happened.
garrett cost us so many games with his incompetence in game decision making during critical times.....that was one example. icing his kicker. and last year against Minn, we passed, passed, passed and they couldn't stop the pass. we had total 45 yards rushing all game up until the last few minutes of 4th quarter and then he decides to run the ball, twice and then a pass to zeke of all people....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If we had let Dak walk and signed Brady we would have been in the NFC championship game or beyond
that's why brady is the GOAT...greatest of all time....and I doubt it, because of the injury situation in dallas and the historically bad defense. but you have a good imagination

USArmyVet

Reaction score