Dak can be boxing himself in

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jkyle, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Jkyle

Jkyle Well-Known Member

355 Messages
    941 Likes Received
    The talk is that Dak wants a 4 year deal so he can take advantage of the increasing revenue expected by then.
    That's fine but if that's his thinking, then he should be willing to take a contract based on what his value is now relative to the other QB's in his Teir: Golf, Wentz, Ryan, which is in the $33 million range instead of the $35 million he may be asking for.
    For him to want more and then want an out to take advantage of the future market makes him look bad.

BigD_95, Bullflop, FTWayne and 4 others like this.
  2. 817Gill

817Gill Well-Known Member

2,150 Messages
    3,172 Likes Received
    Dak’s team wants to win all aspects of the negotiation. That has and always will be how Todd France does business

3. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

13,392 Messages
    17,047 Likes Received
    It's a negotiation. Ask for the moon, and then maybe scale it down if the other side won't blink.
    They got months to get a long term deal done and Jerry has blinked in the past over deals.

Jake likes this.
  4. Techsass

Techsass Well-Known Member

2,209 Messages
    2,762 Likes Received
    Players always look bad when it comes to salary negotiations.

5. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

42,399 Messages
    25,075 Likes Received
    I doubt any professional athlete cares about appearances for the general public when their financial goals are solely meant for themselves.

6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Moderator

42,399 Messages
    25,075 Likes Received
    Pretty much.

eyedoc and Techsass like this.
  7. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

9,038 Messages
    15,426 Likes Received
    The deal will be done this week. His center just retired from football completely and Daks image will be tarnished if he appears to be petty.

8. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

7,254 Messages
    6,461 Likes Received
    I look at it that if stinks it up for the next 4 years than he will not get that extra contract. Least with the extra year he still get some money if it is structure that way. It works both ways.

9. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Well-Known Member

676 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    I sooooo wish they had put the non exclusive tag on him to settle his real market value, which wouldn’t be 2 first round picks. Then talk to a Dak and his agent about how elite he ain’t and that the rest of the league agrees. Then talk years and numbers. But they used the exclusive tag. Jerry falling in love and overvalued another player.

MetalMike, morat1959 and RJ_MacReady like this.
  10. Philmonroe

Philmonroe Well-Known Member

5,385 Messages
    3,822 Likes Received
    That isn't true for me. I don't think he's that good but I understand him doing what he is doing though.

rocyaice and Techsass like this.
  11. Techsass

Techsass Well-Known Member

2,209 Messages
    2,762 Likes Received
    yeah, but you're not an average fan. You're a junkie just like the rest of us.

Philmonroe likes this.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

23,453 Messages
    9,820 Likes Received
    His market value and what a team would trade for him...aren't the same thing.

xwalker and QuincyCarterEra like this.
  13. jaythecowboy

jaythecowboy Well-Known Member

861 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Wentz and Goff signed 4 year extensions last year and Dak should get a little more just from the normal rising of the salary cap. 4 years/$34-36 million a year/slightly more than $110 million guaranteed was always the fair offer if they actually wanted Dak to sign.

DandyDon52 likes this.
  14. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

18,062 Messages
    15,717 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

rocyaice and DallasEast like this.
  15. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

4,273 Messages
    3,833 Likes Received
    but the cap went up by 10% since last year. So 36m this year is the same cap hit % of 33m last year

rocyaice likes this.
  16. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

4,273 Messages
    3,833 Likes Received
    That sounds about right. Maybe not 100 guaranteed if he’s only signing for 4. Remember carson got 106 guaranteed but has 2 years remaining over his rookie deal so it was really spread over 6 years

17. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

10,948 Messages
    17,462 Likes Received
    Use a first round pick on a QB and then negotiate with Dak.

MetalMike and InTheZone like this.
  18. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

9,244 Messages
    15,832 Likes Received
    Especially in the eyes of fans.......this bashing fans but it's well known. Fans favor management during players' negotiations.

Techsass likes this.
  19. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

6,400 Messages
    10,620 Likes Received
    The Cowboys have done nothing to squeeze any of the their FAs in negotiations. Heck, Jerry is their biggest fan. I would be negotiating with some of the available QB FAs for 1-2 year deals with every intent to at least cover my back up needs. They have Dak for at least two more years without any fuss over his contract.

20. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

40,366 Messages
    59,208 Likes Received
    He wants 4. Cowboys want 5 (or maybe more).

Fine, Cowboys give him 4 years but then he has to give something back. I suspect he and his agent think they are entitled to everything they want. And they can think that if they want but then I think Cowboys fans should have an issue with that. I don't mind him getting paid but in almost any negotiation, players often give up something here or there in order to get other things they want.

Jarv likes this.