1. SPORGWIRE.com
    The best Sports Newswire on the internet!
    SPORGWIRE provides you with an easy way to keep up with the latest sports news,
    rumors, reviews, videos and more from sports sites all over the internet!
    Follow your favorite teams and sports leagues and
    the SPORGWIRE home page becomes your personal sports news site for the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Dak Can't Throw A WR Open

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GMO415, Jul 13, 2018.

1. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

2,603 Messages
    4,770 Likes Received
    Does he need to?

GORICO likes this.
  2. guag

guag We like our guys Zone Supporter

11,685 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    He didn't seem to "need" one when Dez was out.

I don't know if that has more to do with him not needing a #1 receiver, or not feeling the pressure of having to frequently target a specific player (whether open or not) to satisfy his ego.

ghst187, AlienBoy, Furboy and 8 others like this.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

41,714 Messages
    27,890 Likes Received
    I think Romo was expressing confidence that as Dak evolved, he would be doing this better...and maybe as early as this year.

People are making do much of his generic comments

4. Sandyf

Sandyf Well-Known Member

1,044 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    Anyone who knows football and Jones should know that WR are supposed to run good routes and get separation. QB are not taught to throw a guy open, he is suppose to be open. Even the great Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady wait for their guy to get a bit of separation or throw the ball to a spot where only their WR can get to it. Throwing a guy open is just an excuse by WRs to not have to do their job.

5. guag

guag We like our guys Zone Supporter

11,685 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    Edit: repost

6. Jipper

Jipper Well-Known Member

1,428 Messages
    1,947 Likes Received
    Nah uh

7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

91,365 Messages
    15,818 Likes Received
    Yes and no, If I have a DB on the WR outside then the QB needs to put it on the inside giving his WR a chance to make the catch. Only other way I know to throw a WR open is by using a pump fake to get the DB to bite on it but by and large it is up to the WR to run his rout and gain separation, some do it with speed others like Witten did with his rout running ability

8. loublue22

loublue22 Well-Known Member

5,155 Messages
    3,372 Likes Received
    This is silly. Obviously it's not every play but you absolutely have to be able to "throw someone open" or however you want to phrase it. And of course they are taught it, for example what do you think a back shoulder throw is?

WillieBeamen, Jstopper, vlad and 3 others like this.
  9. Doomsday101

91,365 Messages
    15,818 Likes Received
    It is throwing the ball outside because the DB has inside position.

10. kento40

kento40 Well-Known Member

240 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I saw no confidence in Romo's face, nor did I hear it in his voice. He knows that Dak will have to improve leaps and bounds than what he did last season jsut like every non-homer on this forum.

What I will give Dak is this. He will literally murder a team when he's allowed to hit the open man, not the man who is supposed to be open on that play, but the man that becomes open. Will he be a master back shoulder fade thrower like Romo, probably not, will he make something out of nothing numerous times like Romo? Let's hope he doesn't have to. What he will do, is pick you apart if given a little time and we have all witnessed that. We probably won't be world beaters, but we won't be exactly scraping the bottom of the division either. It will come down to the Giants and The Cowboys for the east.

Proof likes this.
  11. Tangle_Foot

Tangle_Foot Well-Known Member

1,307 Messages
    4,005 Likes Received
    13 days and Counting:)

12. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,779 Messages
    2,660 Likes Received
    That's not "throwing a WR open". That's simply placing the football in the right spot or vicinity where only the receiver can catch it. The receiver still has to do their part by getting position and placing their body between the defender and the football. Not every "backshoulder" throw is actually on the "backshoulder". Even Romo's "backshoulder" throws were not always on the "backshoulder". Many were on the "front shoulder". Receiver still has to do their part regardless of the throw.

13. loublue22

loublue22 Well-Known Member

5,155 Messages
    3,372 Likes Received
    That's what throwing a receiver open means, they're covered but you put the ball in a place only they can adjust to and make the catch.

14. charron

charron Well-Known Member

1,068 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Romo said having a great receiver can make it easier but similar to when to left and austin became the goto guy someone will become daks next goto receiver (aka daks #1 option). So yes Dak will develop a new #1 option.

No Dak's accuracy hasn't given him the ability to throw anyone open yet.

PAPPYDOG and starcity214 like this.
  15. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,779 Messages
    2,660 Likes Received
    That's ridiculous. So if the defender is in front of the receiver and in perfect coverage for a potential interception, is the QB supposed to "throw the receiver open" as well in that situation? Crazy ridiculous.

It all starts off with the receiver running a good route and gaining position.

Verdict likes this.
  16. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

11,127 Messages
    12,956 Likes Received
    I'll likely be more than satisfied if Dak won't need to throw a WR open this year.

Wouldn't it be terrific if we already have WRs who should do it on their own? :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    ghst187, Verdict, cowboyec and 3 others like this.
  17. TexasHillbilly

TexasHillbilly Well-Known Member

320 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    Until what Tangle?

18. Doomsday101

91,365 Messages
    15,818 Likes Received
    I will be happy with 67.8 completion rate that he showed in 2016, granted it was no 68% completion rate but it should be enough to give the Cowboys a chance to win games. lol

Verdict likes this.
  19. mcmvp

mcmvp Well-Known Member

707 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    I love posts that begin with “anyone that knows football knows ..... and end with completely inaccurate statements about the sport.

Proof, WillieBeamen and loublue22 like this.
  20. Tangle_Foot

Tangle_Foot Well-Known Member

1,307 Messages
    4,005 Likes Received
    First training camp practice:thumbup: