Dak Can't Throw A WR Open

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I will be happy with 67.8 completion rate that he showed in 2016, granted it was no 68% completion rate but it should be enough to give the Cowboys a chance to win games. lol

What gives us a chance to win games is one of the best OL's and running the ball 4+ yards a carry average. That allows Dak or any QB to be successful on offense while not having to depend on a young defense. Cause when they OL doesn't dominate against a good/ decent defense in a win and your in game, last year at seattle, with zeke and tyron playing, we failed to score a TD with still the 4th best OL. #no excuse. He's young so hopefully he gets better but i will not pretend he will snap back to his rookie seasons performance untill he does it on the field.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What gives us a chance to win games is one of the best OL's and running the ball 4+ yards a carry average. That allows Dak or any QB to be successful on offense while not having to depend on a young defense. Cause when they OL doesn't dominate against a good/ decent defense in a win and your in game, last year at seattle, with zeke and tyron playing, we failed to score a TD with still the 4th best OL. #no excuse. He's young so hopefully he gets better but i will not pretend he will snap back to his rookie seasons performance untill he does it on the field.

and I have made no excuse for any game and I have said he has to make improvements in his game. Clearly Dallas want to run the ball that is a given since Demarco Murray was here, Zeke is a key part of it. Dak will have to show improvement as teams will focus on stopping the Dallas running game and without a good passing attack a good defense will be able to slow the run game down. Bottom line Dak will have to improve his play. Garrett knows it and Dak knows it. As a fan my hope is he does, I support Dak as much as I have supported others. If he fails then Dallas will be looking for a QB. I feel Dak can and will improve as a QB we will see.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
where was all this hate and questions during his rookie season?

Much of it started when Romo was not put back in lineup later in that season. I would be shocked but then I have been a Cowboys fan a long time. I have seen the likes of Meredith booed as well as Aikman. Now if Dak does help this team to a championship it will be hard to find anyone who claims they doubted him. Best advice I can give Dak is grow some thick skin because it will not stop until or unless he can help this team to a SB and win it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Much of it started when Romo was not put back in lineup later in that season. I would be shocked but then I have been a Cowboys fan a long time. I have seen the likes of Meredith booed as well as Aikman. Now if Dak does help this team to a championship it will be hard to find anyone who claims they doubted him. Best advice I can give Dak is grow some thick skin because it will not stop until or unless he can help this team to a SB and win it.

And that's a shame....he has to win a ring in order to get respect around here.....

ShiningStar

Reaction score

that whole season , i praised Garrett for that move, because i agreed wiht it. I think Dak could have won it all but GB has Dallas number. Plain and simple.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And that's a shame....he has to win a ring in order to get respect around here.....

Pretty much. Danny White got little love, Romo had more than his fair share of critics. You are right it is not fair but then life is not fair, so you deal with it. Dak knows what he has to do and it falls on him to shut his critics up. I hope he does

Doomsday101

Reaction score
that whole season , i praised Garrett for that move, because i agreed wiht it. I think Dak could have won it all but GB has Dallas number. Plain and simple.

I honestly had mixed emotions on it and would understand the reasoning behind the move either way. As it was debated around the pre game shows there were different views and opinions pro and con, so it was not like some no brainer choice.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I do remember watching Dak "throw a WR open" with TWill, DB was coming inside and he threw it outside and TWill of course is trying to body the pass and missed it. Everybody in chat was complaining that it wasn't an accurate pass, but I thought he shoulda put right where he did. Maybe you shouldn't try to throw open a body catcher. Like the old saying goes, you can lead a body catcher to a pass, but you can't make him catch it.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I honestly had mixed emotions on it and would understand the reasoning behind the move either way. As it was debated around the pre game shows there were different views and opinions pro and con, so it was not like some no brainer choice.

i can understand the pro con stuff. for me, it was about getting the players the experience now. I knew Dallas wasnt doing anything last season, so throw it away but make use of it. To that point, Garrett made the better move.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
and I have made no excuse for any game and I have said he has to make improvements in his game. Clearly Dallas want to run the ball that is a given since Demarco Murray was here, Zeke is a key part of it. Dak will have to show improvement as teams will focus on stopping the Dallas running game and without a good passing attack a good defense will be able to slow the run game down. Bottom line Dak will have to improve his play. Garrett knows it and Dak knows it. As a fan my hope is he does, I support Dak as much as I have supported others. If he fails then Dallas will be looking for a QB. I feel Dak can and will improve as a QB we will see.

I didn't mean you specifically. But Dak is a good but not great QB, he's average maybe slightly better and with our OL and RB's we can certainly win enough to make a playoff push. Can he overcome when the skill (wr, te) guys falter? When the OL becomes average against good to great defenses in the playoffs?

dfense

Reaction score
Sounds like James Jones, an experienced WR knows a bit more than us arm chair QBs.

loublue22

Reaction score
That's ridiculous. So if the defender is in front of the receiver and in perfect coverage for a potential interception, is the QB supposed to "throw the receiver open" as well in that situation? Crazy ridiculous.

It all starts off with the receiver running a good route and gaining position.
I'm struggling to think understand what else you think it could mean.

And of course the number one job of a WR is to get themselves open, but that can't always happen. But in SOME situations a QB can still make a throw to a spot only the receiver can get to. No one is saying it happens every play, just that it happens and all great QBs do it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. So if the defender is in front of the receiver and in perfect coverage for a potential interception, is the QB supposed to "throw the receiver open" as well in that situation? Crazy ridiculous.

It's actually a matter of both. One of the problems that Dak and Dez had was pointed out by Romo last season. On certain routes, Dez needs the ball put within a perimeter in order for him to go up and win it. (No, I don't want to turn this into a Dez thread. It's just being used for an example.)

Dez was running a type of route where the quarterback has to "throw him open." There was a good example later in the season where Dak put the pass exactly where he needed to for Dez to catch it for a TD. Dez wasn't open but the placement of the pass allowed for the reception.

Now, Dak either wasn't comfortable or able to throw that pass on a regular bases, but there were opportunities to complete that pass on other occasions where the connection wasn't made. (We can get into the details of why it happened, but there's no reason.)

With these different receivers, there will be different opportunities at times. Sometimes you have to just throw it to a spot and let the receiver go get it. It still has to be a good route, but the separation can be a matter of, as you said, gaining position instead of actually gaining space.

birdwells1

Reaction score

If a CB jumps a slant route but the QB recognizes it and throws it to his outside shoulder instead of in front of him. That's throwing him open.