Dak Can't Throw A WR Open

erod

Reaction score
Anyone who knows football and Jones should know that WR are supposed to run good routes and get separation. QB are not taught to throw a guy open, he is suppose to be open. Even the great Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady wait for their guy to get a bit of separation or throw the ball to a spot where only their WR can get to it. Throwing a guy open is just an excuse by WRs to not have to do their job.
This is 100% false.

Elite quarterbacks throw their receivers open routinely.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Completion rate means nothing if you keep throwing behind the sticks on 3rd down.
Starts off with the receiver, not the QB. If it's 3rd down, all receivers should know they need to run past the 1st down marker. Or if all they can do to get open early, like on a blitz, is to run a 3rd down route short of the 1st down marker, it's up to the receiver to make the catch AND run/make the 1st down.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The notion that Dak has never thrown a receiver open is freaking ludicrous.

Look at a couple of the Brice butler TD’s from last year. Including the one against Arizona.

Look at the long completion to T will down the sideline

Several crossing routes he threw to T will.

Shoot some of the Dez touchdowns from 2016. Namely agains the eagles and lions....

I mean what are we splitting hairs over how often he does it? How often is he expected to do it?

Honestly the “throw a receiver open” argument is one of the worst I’ve heard in a long time. Throwing a receiver open is something a QB has to do when the receivers aren’t doing their jobs. It’s not part of an offensive system. And Dak has done it in his first couple of years to boot.

Is anybody claiming Dak doesn’t throw WR’s open going to actually post numbers and video to compare how often Dak does it versus other QB’s? Because until that happens the argument is moot and stupid to boot.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
For Dak to be successful, he needs to stop throwing high and get the ball in the chest of the receiver, especially in the middle of the field.

erod

Reaction score
Starts off with the receiver, not the QB. If it's 3rd down, all receivers should know they need to run past the 1st down marker. Or if all they can do to get open early, like on a blitz, is to run a 3rd down route short of the 1st down marker, it's up to the receiver to make the catch AND run/make the 1st down.
Actually, no.

One or two receivers need to be under to pull the secondary down for the downfield stuff. They're also the outlet if there's nothing downfield to throw to.

However, I was there last year. There were guys downfield that a good throw could get to. Dak just didn't like it and threw underneath where he was comfortable.

He needs to break out of that comfort zone, especially when he's in the pocket. Teams know he wants to run out to the right where he can run into his throws. So they shut that side off or make him loop out of the back of the pocket deeper.

He's got to change his game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually, no.

One or two receivers need to be under to pull the secondary down for the downfield stuff. They're also the outlet if there's nothing downfield to throw to.

However, I was there last year. There were guys downfield that a good throw could get to. Dak just didn't like it and threw underneath where he was comfortable.

He needs to break out of that comfort zone, especially when he's in the pocket. Teams know he wants to run out to the right where he can run into his throws. So they shut that side off or make him loop out of the back of the pocket deeper.

He's got to change his game.
How does this comment of yours relate to my previous comment? I agree with your assessment on Dak, but you still didn't address my last comment.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Simple. There's nothing anyone can say when you put up 13 wins and do a fine job as a rookie in a playoff game.

Very true. It’s like Madden used to say all the time. Something probably stinks a little, but winning is the ultimate deodorant.

It’s really spot on. A good season in the win column doesn’t mean things don’t need to be fixed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Very true. It’s like Madden used to say all the time. Something probably stinks a little, but winning is the ultimate deodorant.

It’s really spot on. A good season in the win column doesn’t mean things don’t need to be fixed.
Especially fans who aren't into the nuts and bolts. Those are generally the fans who have such extreme ups and downs.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
He didn't seem to "need" one when Dez was out.

I don't know if that has more to do with him not needing a #1 receiver, or not feeling the pressure of having to frequently target a specific player (whether open or not) to satisfy his ego.
Well,ya know Dez is the type who wants to get his touches (I think?,as I recall hearing #9 talking about needing to get 88's head in the game early)

I think ' sky box command' is the reason 88 was targeted as much as he was last season, not like that $1 bet in the " Trading Places " movie,,, but the serious scrutiny as to his current longevity was being conducted every time his number was called in from above .
(IMO)o_O

ShiningStar

Reaction score
its not political, but i might get warned for it.

i am hoping after this season, i really dont care if its good or bad. I just want a good season for Dak with all his haters walking around saying "Dak broke me man, Dak broke me".

DandyDon52

Reaction score
throw the ball to a spot where only their WR can get to it.
lol that is throwing them open !
Dak tends to only throw directly at a WR , and he should learn to throw to a spot near them , and lead them properly when moving laterally.

If a guy is running straight downfield, they can throw directly to them, which becomes a jump ball with defender right there, or they
can throw to open area inside and the WR would have to go get it.

Dak plays how he is coached to play, so this is a lack in coaching to me.
Dak wants the big payday, so he is going to only do as he is told, until then.

Romo used to ad lib more, but he could get away with it.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
significant deficiencies
due mainly to coaching ,playcalling, game planning,
game mgmt, schemes, etc.
Coaches can make a player look bad or good.
look at foles last year, he had 2 bad games, at end of reg season, so the coaches looked at what he did good in the past,
and made plays and game plans based on his strength's and after that he looked fantastic, and was mvp in a SB win.

Coaching matters, and that is a classic example.

Our coaches would have continued trying to make foles fit their plays, and not designed new ones for his strength's.

This is what I hope Dak friendly means, is that they have designed new plays, to take advantage of things dak does do well.
I have doubts, but am hoping.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
How many games did RG3 catch teams by surprise?

Cue the, "but but but....RG3 is different! You can't compare them at all. Nuh uh!"

And Dak certainly didn't catch them all by surprise.
Roberts career was cut short by Shanahan, injury and the Deadskins.