Dak college highlights

ShortRound

Reaction score
Hey Cowboy Brothers....just a reminder what a real Franchise looks like.......never back down never accept excuses... we are America's team and deserve a Franchise QB like the one here-below....dang i miss these pass plays....with a passion!!!

That is a generation ago. Some of the posters on CZ weren’t alive to see this.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I mean, duh, it's a highlight reel. My son looks like Michael Jordan is his highlight reel.

As a side note, I heard Dak averaged like 16 carries a game one year in college. Crazy stuff that would never happen in this league. His *** better learn how to pass if he's going to succeed.

He only needs to run 3-5 times per game mixed in throughout. Not 16, get real..

See here’s the problem Donnie, fans go to extemes, there’s no balance. “Oh Dak is garbage.”

No Dak is Average with Below Average Coaching.. And a scheme from the 90’s..

Hello, it’s 2018..

While he might not ever be Patrick Mahomes, give him a better scheme, get him coaches that can tailor the plays to his strengths and his players strengths, and we easily win 3-5 more games per year if not more..

Otherwise Dak is a “Conservative Romo,” because we keep hearing the Same Complaints.. The main difference is that Romo threw more picks but he took a lot of sacks, he missed wide open receivers, he had his own learning curve...

droopdog7

Reaction score

See here’s the problem Donnie, fans go to extemes, there’s no balance. “Oh Dak is garbage.”

Hello, it’s 2018..

While he might not ever be Patrick Mahomes, give him a better scheme, get him coaches that can tailor the plays to his strengths and his players strengths, and we easily win 3-5 more games per year if not more..

Otherwise Dak is a “Conservative Romo,” because we keep hearing the Same Complaints.. The main difference is that Romo threw more picks but he took a lot of sacks, he missed wide open receivers, he had his own learning curve...
So dak is averaging 5 runs per game. Now, you’re going to tell me that many of those are not designed runs I’m sure. My point is, what is the point of more designed runs for dak? It’s not like we’re having trouble running the ball. Rather have zeke or another back get rushes, not the QB.

So we’re sitting here trying to design an offense around a QB that isn’t the best passer. You know what that’s called? It’s putting lipstick on a pig. You can go ahead and try to dress it up but it’s still a pig, and that, not the coordinator or play calling is the issue.

And speaking of scheme, fans frankly have no idea here. What scheme are we running and how do,you and others know it’s not being tailored to dak? I’ll give you a hint; I’ll be shocked if they aren’t running an offense toward his strengths.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
So dak is averaging 5 runs per game. Now, you’re going to tell me that many of those are not designed runs I’m sure. My point is, what is the point of more designed runs for dak? It’s not like we’re having trouble running the ball. Rather have zeke or another back get rushes, not the QB.

So we’re sitting here trying to design an offense around a QB that isn’t the best passer. You know what that’s called? It’s putting lipstick on a pig. You can go ahead and try to dress it up but it’s still a pig, and that, not the coordinator or play calling is the issue.

And speaking of scheme, fans frankly have no idea here. What scheme are we running and how do,you and others know it’s not being tailored to dak? I’ll give you a hint; I’ll be shocked if they aren’t running an offense toward his strengths.

I have No Problem drafting the next Patrick Mahomes, or the next John Elway, as soon as one falls in our lap..

It’s not about averages, it’s about opportunities. Sometimes he needs to just take off running when the first down is there for the taking.

We are running a dated scheme from the 90’s which requires HOF o-lineman and a HOF type rb with at least one HOF type wr, or it doesn’t work.

Are you new here?

starcity214

Reaction score
I have No Problem drafting the next Patrick Mahomes, or the next John Elway, as soon as one falls in our lap..

It’s not about averages, it’s about opportunities. Sometimes he needs to just take off running when the first down is there for the taking.

We are running a dated scheme from the 90’s which requires HOF o-lineman and a HOF type rb with at least one HOF type wr, or it doesn’t work.

Are you new here?

Patrick Mahomes just fell into the Chiefs lap?

Hmmm... I seem to recall Andy Reid trading up in the draft in order to get him.

I also recall the Chiefs had a "you can win with him" type of QB already on their roster when they traded up for Mahomes...

Also, in College , Dak had a scheme that was geared to his strengths and had him run the ball a lot. It worked....untill he faced the good teams on the schedule. Look at how Alabama made him look. Why can't people understand that having a "running" QB won't work at this level?

I mean , Michael Vick would have been the Goat, not the statue known as Tom Brady!!

Being able to run is a good thing but only if you can also sit in the pocket and direct a defense.
The problem is, every time a QB is a "running QB" it's always to cover up his inability to win with his arm..

As I've said, those that want Dak to be the long term starter here better hope and pray that he learns how to sit in a pocket and direct a defense now because if he doesn't, you will be left with an old, beat up, slow, QB that never learned propped footwork because he was too busy running the ball for 6 yards..

Stephen Jones knows what's up.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Also, in College , Dak had a scheme that was geared to his strengths and had him run the ball a lot. It worked....untill he faced the good teams on the schedule. Look at how Alabama made him look. Why can't people understand that having a "running" QB won't work at this level?
What will or won't "work at this level" isn't that relevant.

As long as Dak is QB, the relevant question is what works best with Dak as QB. Maybe that could be enough. Maybe not.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Patrick Mahomes just fell into the Chiefs lap?

Hmmm... I seem to recall Andy Reid trading up in the draft in order to get him.

I also recall the Chiefs had a "you can win with him" type of QB already on their roster when they traded up for Mahomes...

I mean , Michael Vick would have been the Goat, not the statue known as Tom Brady!!

Being able to run is a good thing but only if you can also sit in the pocket and direct a defense.
The problem is, every time a QB is a "running QB" it's always to cover up his inability to win with his arm..

As I've said, those that want Dak to be the long term starter here better hope and pray that he learns how to sit in a pocket and direct a defense now because if he doesn't, you will be left with an old, beat up, slow, QB that never learned propped footwork because he was too busy running the ball for 6 yards..

Stephen Jones knows what's up.

Yes Stephen doesn’t really want a running qb. We don’t have a first next year, Dak it up..

I’m all for drafting a qb if one is there. Dak is what he is, an average qb with a little run skill and was a fourth round comp pick. He needs a lot of pieces around him in this scheme though, so did the last guy...

Einstein

Reaction score
So after watching that I thought three things... our coaches are using him wrong, he is trying too hard right now (he looked more natural in the video), and the competition level was probably WAY lower in the video.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Hello, it’s 2018..

:hammer:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dak's record is 30-16. Before the "his first year was good because he was new, had a great o-line, etc." comments come, let's take away 2016.

He still has a 17-11 record. 60% . Now let's look at a couple of other well thought of quarterbacks record:

Matthew Stafford. 65-74, 47%
Cam Newton. 68-53, 59.7%.
Kirk Cousins. 33-36-2, 46%.

Newton got to a SB, but Stafford's been to only 3 playoff games, lost them all.

Yes it's nice to have a Brady or Brees or Rodgers, but just note that the vast majority of teams DON'T have a "super" quarterback. To those who say Dak's not good enough, let's assume they're right. But if you have a guy who has won, who has skills, who has the basis of a good team around him, and possibly a very good defense, you want to dump him for a "maybe" draftee? And how are you going to get the next Brady or Brees without trading away more draft picks/good players? Or trading away the same for a high draft pick, which could easily turn out to be another Leaf, Young, Leinart, Russell, etc. It ain't easy folks.

As someone pointed out, to get Aikman the Cowboys had to go 1-15, and even at that, without the Walker trade, would they have been able to get all the draft picks and players they needed to build a great team around Aikman? Maybe, maybe not.

I just think at this point with the team at the place it is now Jerry/Stephen doesn't want to go for the hot shot rookie or aged vet, which in their minds is a bigger risk than sticking with Dak. And I can get on board with that. It's not up to us anyway.

If you can't stand the thought of Dak as the quarterback for the next few years, better find another team to watch...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is a highlight real. They all have them it doesn't mean he's all that good. His scouting report still rings true. He couldn't beat out Moore for the starting job. He was drafted late 4th round because scouts found him lacking.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Touche. Of course, my next proclamation says Jackson won't last.

Agreed. But what if he lasts a couple of years and they win a SB? Do you let your quarterback have short term success and to heck with long term success?

Or do you build the team to be good for a period of time, a la the 60's-70's Cowboys or the 2000-present Patriots?

That's a personal preference...