Dak college highlights

droopdog7

Reaction score
Agreed. But what if he lasts a couple of years and they win a SB? Do you let your quarterback have short term success and to heck with long term success?

Or do you build the team to be good for a period of time, a la the 60's-70's Cowboys or the 2000-present Patriots?

That's a personal preference...
I don't think it's that simple. When you have a guy as different as Jackson (in terms of his eagerness to run the ball), there are a number of reasons why it might not work. I mentioned he would not last and we immediately think about injuries, which admittedly is what I meant. But you have to ask yourself, how successful can the team be is the QB isn't throwing the ball? How motivated are receivers going to be if the QB takes off running all the time? I would say not so motivated.

Second, this league has a way of catching up to guys that are limited. Teams will continue to study jackson and force him to become a passer. If he can't do it, then he won't succeed.

Finally, and this is something fans don't have to think about, but coaches are hesitant to completely tailor an offense around a guy for a very good reason. What if that guy gets hurt? You're not likely to have a guy behind him that can do the same things. Coaches, unlike fans, have to think big picture.

At the end of the day, the QB's job is to pass the ball. You need to good at that first and foremost, and let the other skills be complementary.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Cowboys coaches are idiots. They are trying to turn a dual threat QB into a pocket passer with an Oline that cant hold the pocket. Its almost insanity.

Dak has said himself that he doesn't want to be a running QB. I agree, the coaches should be running him more, but it's also his own reluctance. I think he's still trying to prove he has a big arm and can pass from the pocket, instead of just using his God given talents. In a way, it makes him a perfect QB for this coaching staff.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Many may find it hard to believe but today was my first time watching his college highlights. Since many posters have said he had a lot of the same problems in college, I wanted to look and see for myself. Just me but this doesn't help at all coz his tapes here are pretty impressive. Maybe coz they chose the player's best college career plays.

wow that is some horrible tackling on some of those plays

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Highlights aren’t good way to judge though Ryan leafs problem was him not his ability
I watch Dak a lot I college and in the right scheme he can be effective
He’s never going to be an elite QB but he can win if you play to his strengths
you know in April this board will be full of these to show how people we just drafted are such great choices

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Finally, and this is something fans don't have to think about, but coaches are hesitant to completely tailor an offense around a guy for a very good reason.

That's what you're seeing with the Packers, we heard so much about Rodgers being "elite" and "making things happen", but now he's without a top running back, only one pretty good wide receiver, and who's their tight end? Now all of a sudden the Packers have missed the playoffs two years in a row, but isn't Rodgers still Rodgers? What, he's forgotten how to play quarterback?

Those who lust for the "elite" quarterback forget that they're human, what would happen to the Saints if Brees got hurt, the Steelers if Rothsliesburgher got hurt, if the Chargers lost Rivers? Probably not a good result.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Yes Stephen doesn’t really want a running qb. We don’t have a first next year, Dak it up..

I’m all for drafting a qb if one is there. Dak is what he is, an average qb with a little run skill and was a fourth round comp pick. He needs a lot of pieces around him in this scheme though, so did the last guy...
The last guy part is a lie lets be real. I don't think we will ever see Dak have people like Laraunt Robinson looking good ever. He might have needed a line but he could make avg WR look better something Dak to this point hasn't done.

conner01

Reaction score
you know in April this board will be full of these to show how people we just drafted are such great choices
Yep
Rather really see the bad stuff myself
Or watch an entire few games
Can’t judge anyone by highlights
Everyone has highlights
Even the player who ends up at McDonalds

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Dak's record is 30-16. Before the "his first year was good because he was new, had a great o-line, etc." comments come, let's take away 2016.

He still has a 17-11 record. 60% . Now let's look at a couple of other well thought of quarterbacks record:

Matthew Stafford. 65-74, 47%
Cam Newton. 68-53, 59.7%.
Kirk Cousins. 33-36-2, 46%.

Newton got to a SB, but Stafford's been to only 3 playoff games, lost them all.

That is all team records, not QB. QBs are just a part of the team (a key part, but just a part). And the Cowboys are 17-13 since 2016 (btw). I don't know why this has to be hammered so much for people to get it.

Yes it's nice to have a Brady or Brees or Rodgers, but just note that the vast majority of teams DON'T have a "super" quarterback. To those who say Dak's not good enough, let's assume they're right. But if you have a guy who has won, who has skills, who has the basis of a good team around him, and possibly a very good defense, you want to dump him for a "maybe" draftee? And how are you going to get the next Brady or Brees without trading away more draft picks/good players? Or trading away the same for a high draft pick, which could easily turn out to be another Leaf, Young, Leinart, Russell, etc. It ain't easy folks.
It's not easy, but it's worth it. Not every team will have a great QB, but pretty much all of the ones who don't keep trying to find that guy.

Reaction score
Many may find it hard to believe but today was my first time watching his college highlights. Since many posters have said he had a lot of the same problems in college, I wanted to look and see for myself. Just me but this doesn't help at all coz his tapes here are pretty impressive. Maybe coz they chose the player's best college career plays.

Actually the film highlights EXACTLY what the draft card said, he looks great when he has a clean pocket (what QB doesn't)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

But go on and read that report and tell me he doesn't have the same weaknesses 3 years later he did in college.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Almost every one of those plays is RPO. Linehan and Garrett took that away and they want Prescott to be nothing more than a pocket passer. That's the problem.

Prescott was corrupted by stupid coaches that think they know better. Nothing more.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The last guy part is a lie lets be real. I don't think we will ever see Dak have people like Laraunt Robinson looking good ever. He might have needed a line but he could make avg WR look better something Dak to this point hasn't done.

Cole Beasley, and don’t ever call me a liar....:p

visionary

Reaction score
Almost every one of those plays is RPO. Linehan and Garrett took that away and they want Prescott to be nothing more than a pocket passer. That's the problem.

Prescott was corrupted by stupid coaches that think they know better. Nothing more.

My insider guy says the cowboys are holding those RPOs back for the playoffs

Well, I don't have an insider guy but if I did, that is what he would say

erod

Reaction score
Notice the middle school offensive scheme.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
My insider guy says the cowboys are holding those RPOs back for the playoffs

Well, I don't have an insider guy but if I did, that is what he would say

I want an insider guy too. Heck, it seems that everyone here on CZ has one too. Maybe if I kiss up some more I'll finally get one.