Dak contract = Deshaun Watson contract

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing that bothers me most is when people say “that’s the quarterback market”.

It’s brainless and dismissive of the whole situation.

Goes back to the saying - “If everyone else was jumping off a cliff, would you?”

Well I guess we have our answer.

:banghead:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me most is when people say “that’s the quarterback market”.

It’s brainless and dismissive of the whole situation.

Goes back to the saying - “If everyone else was jumping off a cliff, would you?”

Well I guess we have our answer.

:banghead:
It’s just what it is. We thought we were getting last year Dak. If we knew this is what we were getting we should’ve let him play out this deal which they should’ve. If you weren’t going to pay him early why not let him play out his deal? He was in camp.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s just what it is. We thought we were getting last year Dak. If we knew this is what we were getting we should’ve let him play out this deal which they should’ve. If you weren’t going to pay him early why not let him play out his deal? He was in camp.
Even “last year Dak” wasn’t worth $60 million a year.

The Joneses have NO IDEA how to manage a salary cap.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
We are in the same boat as Cleveland given that we have a QB Contract that will negatively affect the Team for years to come.
Dak isn't as useless as Watson but he is a mediocre QB who will never get you over the top.
The Cleveland fanbase turned on Watson and it looks like the Cowboys fanbase will do the same with Dak.
Dak isn't horrible but him being paid the top QB salary in the NFL is insulting.
Once again JJ had no business resigning this LOUSY QB, NONE, ZIP, ZERO! I say bench the bum and let him take in all the heat that should be directed his way. It won't be long before CeeDee is thrown into the same pot as JJ and Prescott, because if he doesn't have a QB to get him the ball what use is he to the Cowboys. It's time for JJ to eat crow until the day that he dies, but it may be time to start trading away some talent for draft picks that could be used to right the ship. The Cowboys need to start thinking about drafting a shiny new QB in 2025 and what better way to get that QB, I say trade both CeeDee and Parsons and whoever else is pulling down money that they aren't earning. Just showing up to games and getting beat on a weekly basis doesn't cut it anymore with Cowboy Nation!

75boyz

Reaction score
With regards to the OP I made this same comparison in a previous thread's discussion with RustyBournehorse.
And I'll stick with my opinion that the end results of the 2 contracts will still be the same.
And that's well before either of those 2 contracts are completed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Even “last year Dak” wasn’t worth $60 million a year.

The Joneses have NO IDEA how to manage a salary cap.
Well in the sense he busted in the playoffs I’d agree but I understand the market for an all pro at the QB position is gonna cost. Especially when you signed him after the Jordan Love’s and Trevor Lawrence’s….

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well in the sense he busted in the playoffs I’d agree but I understand the market for an all pro at the QB position is gonna cost. Especially when you signed him after the Jordan Love’s and Trevor Lawrence’s….
That’s the mindset that bothers me. Just because other teams paid that rate for theirs, that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to follow suit.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We are in the same boat as Cleveland given that we have a QB Contract that will negatively affect the Team for years to come.
Dak isn't as useless as Watson but he is a mediocre QB who will never get you over the top.
The Cleveland fanbase turned on Watson and it looks like the Cowboys fanbase will do the same with Dak.
Dak isn't horrible but him being paid the top QB salary in the NFL is insulting.
Rinse and repeat.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I don't know if Dallas has the cap space to do this, but if they choose NOT to restructure Deshaun Prescott next offseason, they could realistically cut him after the 2025 season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That’s the mindset that bothers me. Just because other teams paid that rate for theirs, that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to follow suit.
I mean you’re obligated to put the best team possible out there. Worry about salary cap later.

There’s no exact science on how to win a ring but I do know most teams win who are good in the trenches, have a good qb and have a good coaching staff. Seems simple enough to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean you’re obligated to put the best team possible out there. Worry about salary cap later.

There’s no exact science on how to win a ring but I do know most teams win who are good in the trenches, have a good qb and have a good coaching staff. Seems simple enough to me.
I don’t think “good” is good enough.

I’m not paying $60 million a year to a “good” quarterback who’s never won a big game.

To add insult to injury, the Joneses guaranteed virtually the entire contract and threw in a no-trade clause.

They assumed all risks and gave the player and agent anything and everything they wanted.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don’t think “good” is good enough.

I’m not paying $60 million a year to a “good” quarterback who’s never won a big game.

To add insult to injury, the Joneses guaranteed virtually the entire contract and threw in a no-trade clause.

They assumed all risks and gave the player and agent anything and everything they wanted.
Signing Dak has proven to be bad but what’s more criminal is what they did to this receiving group, offensive line snd running game. Teams have won with good qbs. I can’t find one team who has won not stopping the run or running the football.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Signing Dak has proven to be bad but what’s more criminal is what they did to this receiving group, offensive line snd running game. Teams have won with good qbs. I can’t find one team who has won not stopping the run or running the football.
I can’t remember one that’s won while paying ‘Superstar salary’ to a “good” quarterback.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
If you want pure sport...you have to look at non-professional leagues. Money is a real powerful thing in high revenue professional sports. Its not only a sport now...its a sport and a business.

Dak is not cheeks at QB. NFL QB's that are serviceable are hard to find...so teams pay top dollar for upper-middle class QB's and beyond. A SERVICEABLE QB is good for business.

Fans think its a pure sport still, when its not anymore. Its a business and a sport, and both sides of the equation want to be represented. There is no strict obligation to winning on the sport side once a concept like 'hanging at the rim' is introduced.

I speculate you will see soft rebuilds and more sticking with serviceable QB's than hard rebuilds that take 3 years to HOPEFULLY pull off....if that favors the business side of the equation. Another way to say it....if a 3 year hard rebuild significantly hurts the bottom line AND there is no guarantee that the rebuild will work...Organizations will opt for the soft rebuild and 'hanging at the rim'. Money matters in professional sports...and there is nothing that governs an Owner to focus on winning at the sport over focusing on balancing the duality of business and sport.

Jerry has subscribed to a philosophy of balancing sport/business instead of strictly focusing on winning at the sport. Nothing we can do about it...and I suspect that 'hanging at the rim' will become a widespread philosophy for all veteran Owners that have already won a trophy. You might get new, hungry Owners here and there that want the trophy and focus on the sport and winning....but once they get that trophy....they will start the Jerry balancing act. Money is better than a trophy. Money is better than a New England Patriots type dynasty.

The 'hanging at the rim' philosophy is here...and I dont think its going anywhere.