Dak contract = Deshaun Watson contract

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Baker at 30 million sure sounds appealing….
I like the comeback story for Baker. Ive been a Baker hater for his overly fired up antics in College...but I like that he is succeeding.

Im not a QB guy at all....but even I can tell the guy makes a lot of bad decisions on the football field. Hopefully things continue to go his way, though.

If you are going with Baker at 30M...why not Menschew for like 15M? Not to bash Baker, he is a better looking QB than Menschew, but I think I go Menschew in this scenario.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like the comeback story for Baker. Ive been a Baker hater for his overly fired up antics in College...but I like that he is succeeding.

Im not a QB guy at all....but even I can tell the guy makes a lot of bad decisions on the football field. Hopefully things continue to go his way, though.

If you are going with Baker at 30M...why not Menschew for like 15M? Not to bash Baker, he is a better looking QB than Menschew, but I think I go Menschew in this scenario.
I’d rather have Winston at 3 million then Baker at 30.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And Jamies Winston is better than both of em.
You’re living in the moment off of one great game yesterday. Lol Winston is one of the biggest INT machines which is why he’s been reduced to a backup QB. If he craps the bed next week you won’t be singing his praises. :thumbup:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I’d rather have Winston at 3 million then Baker at 30.
Winston is a roller coaster. Looks good, then throws a bunch of INT's. QB's are heavily weighted on INT's and Winston's INT record is supposedly awful.

But yes...I think Winston is a better QB at his peak and has a higher floor than Baker...but Baker is more consistent.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You’re living in the moment off of one great game yesterday. Lol Winston is one of the biggest INT machines which is why he’s been reduced to a backup QB. If he craps the bed next week you won’t be singing his praises. :thumbup:
I love that you and the rest of the Dak over Dallas fans are getting exactly that you deserve from him.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
They are easily the two worst I can think of. Not easy to declare which is the stinkiest turd.

Watson - just no way in H that any team should have been interested in him at anything except a bargain bin "prove it" price given the things going on in his life at that time. but at least he was young & did seem to be an ascending player if he could get back on the field.

Dak - the team that knew the most about him should have been keenly aware of his ceiling, health issues & propensity to fold under pressure. they should have been the last team to give him top dollar.

I know Jerry likes to win .... but he fails again. I declare his blunder the second stinkiest turd in NFL history.

Jarntt

Reaction score
His salary in general is irrelevant.
Not in a cap world it isn't. Cap hits next 4 years: $90M, $68M, $62M and $72M. Any restructures to reduce those amounts don't eliminate those hits it just pushes them into outer years and they'll come due when he leaves. His salary most definitely is relevant. Even if we just paid him the $55M per that was generally expected (even though signing him at all this season was dumb) that's close to the difference between Zeke ($2M per) and Henry ($8M per; $5M cap hit in 2024)

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That’s the mindset that bothers me. Just because other teams paid that rate for theirs, that doesn’t mean you’re obligated to follow suit.
How many times do I have to say "Let other teams chase fools gold"?

There are only 32 of the jobs available. You can get someone. They may not be any better but if you are paying them a fraction & free to move on from them, you have won.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You’re loving every minute of it with your team up by 2 games. You should be celebrating a win rather than wasting your time here every day. You never show up when the Cowboys win.
Daniel Jones vs Dak Prescott.

The battle for 3rd place in the NFC East.

Jarntt

Reaction score
If you want pure sport...you have to look at non-professional leagues. Money is a real powerful thing in high revenue professional sports. Its not only a sport now...its a sport and a business.

Dak is not cheeks at QB. NFL QB's that are serviceable are hard to find...so teams pay top dollar for upper-middle class QB's and beyond. A SERVICEABLE QB is good for business.
Not any more it isn't. Right now Dak is ranked 24 in rating. Not the best stat of course (personally I don't even like the stat) , but it's the easiest to use for this purpose and to make a point.
The following QBs ranked above him are on a new team this year or last year (whether drafted or traded for or signed) and thus were "available" and are on a new team.
Russel Wilson
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Jayden Daniels
Joe Flacco
Derek Carr
Cousins
Stroud
Fields
Drake Maye
Caleb Williams
Aaron Rodgers

That's half of the QBs. I'm certainly not saying all of these guys are better than Dak or even as good as him, of course, but I'm saying they are all at least arguably playing as well or better than him at this point. By the way most of those are making a fraction of what Dak does. The idea that we had no choice but to re-sign Dak that many made was always silly.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It’s obvious you’re enjoying it. You wouldn’t be posting today had the Cowboys won.
In fairness though, he posted for years warning of the dangers ahead only to be brutally attacked by the defenders. So, he has every right to bask in being proven right.

As for only posting if the Cowboys lose, even if that's true, he's going to be posting a lot.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Not any more it isn't. Right now Dak is ranked 24 in rating. Not the best stat of course (personally I don't even like the stat) , but it's the easiest to use for this purpose and to make a point.
The following QBs ranked above him are on a new team this year or last year (whether drafted or traded for or signed) and thus were "available" and are on a new team.
Russel Wilson
Sam Darnold
Baker Mayfield
Jayden Daniels
Joe Flacco
Derek Carr
Cousins
Stroud
Fields
Drake Maye
Caleb Williams
Aaron Rodgers

That's half of the QBs. I'm certainly not saying all of these guys are better than Dak or even as good as him, of course, but I'm saying they are all at least arguably playing as well or better than him at this point. By the way most of those are making a fraction of what Dak does. The idea that we had no choice but to re-sign Dak that many made was always silly.
I mean...they have been saying that the College QB entering the Draft is so well coached these days because of information traveling so fast....that you can plug and play these guys.

They have been saying that for like 15 years and its not the case yet.

That list has some vets that had great careers...but finding a consistent QB that doesnt have a history of turning the ball and can put up numbers is hard to find...and teams are paying 40M+ for such guys if they can find them.