Dak contract restructured; small cap amount added via bonus

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I mean if they were intent on extending him to save cap space, why even bother with such a miniscule restructure? I mean this would be like changing the oil of an old engine when you plan to replace it anyway.

The reality is no one really knows what the hell they are doing at The Star.

Could this have to do with the rookie cap allocation? Just thinking.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
The Cowboys wouldn't have restructured $5 million for some quick and current cap relief without Dak's permission. This means they are in talks and an extension is in the works.
I take it as the team needing to free up a little space to sign a player or 2, perhaps a RB or OL that they have their eye on.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
For the cap experts out there, what is the purpose of adding the void years if an agreement isn’t reached. Couldn’t they have just converted the roster bonus to a signing bonus without adding void years? The logic of this move is confusing.
It means Dak and the Cowboys definitely are working on a contract extension.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I take it as the team needing to free up a little space to sign a player or 2, perhaps a RB or OL that they have their eye on.
True, but the Cowboys could have created even more space if they wanted to cut Dak and make him a post June 1 cut if they didn't want Dak going forward. That they created a little capspace without cutting Dak means they are seriously wanting to extend Dak but need a little more time to work things out.

McMicah

Reaction score
This behavior by the cowboys FO makes no sense if they are bent on resigning Dak. They could restructure a lot more knowing that resigning him will lower cap hits anyway, like a clean (or punted) slate.

To me, they can only be behaving this way for a few reasons
1. They want Dak to believe they don’t need to resign him so he will settle for a lower price
2. They are planning on a world where Dak becomes an FA and making it more doable
3. (tin foil hat) they are quietly working a trade with Dak and moving money to make the trades cash considerations more palatable for the other team

If the answer is that they will definitely extend Dak, why such a small amount restructured? They could clear 15-20M and they chose 5

Spottswoode

Reaction score
It means Dak and the Cowboys definitely are working on a contract extension.
If they could have just converted, it’s the only logical conclusion I could think of. But I also don’t understand why they couldn’t have just added the void years in a new contract. Unless that is one area they can agree on now, so they just got it in writing now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They could’ve lowered his cap hit by over 20 million with an extension , but instead chose to lower it just 5 million to make it more manageable next year.

There is no extension coming.
This doesn't prohibit still doing that. It could just mean it will take a while to get a contract worked out and they need cap space now. The reality is this fits whether working on a contract with Dak or not

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Another 5 years??? No way am I waiting another 5 years. It has been long enough.
I would prefer for it to be closer to 2 or 3 years. But am giving them a little extra time to prove themselves as a front office. Anything beyond 5 years in the post Dak era where the Cowboys still haven't won a Super Bowl risks us seeing the drought extend for another decade and won't be very discouraging as a Cowboys fan. Because then we would have to face the realization of how their might not be any QB who is talented and skilled enough to overcome the how the Stephen and Jerry run this team. And the truth of the matter will be that any QB drafted is going to be hindered and restricted in Dallas as long as the Jones family runs this team. This is if we move on from Dak and still don't see any positive process towards winning a Super Bowl 5+ years after he is gone.

There will be two telling tests during the years after Dak is gone which will reveal the reality of the future of the Cowboys under our current front office.

1, Will be how soon they can reach a Super Bowl after Dak is gone.

2, And depending on which team he goes too, the other will be to see whether or not it's Dak without the Cowboys or the Cowboys without Dak who is able to reach a conference championship game or further before the other.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score

this is FALSE - the media doesn't even know what they are saying.

PATRIK NO C WALKER - our WRITER of the DC.COM website has STATED in his article from the DALLAS COWBOYS official site NO PERMISSION WAS NEEDED FOR THIS MOVE

STOP WITH THE DAK WANK JOB

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
They could’ve lowered his cap hit by over 20 million with an extension , but instead chose to lower it just 5 million to make it more manageable next year.

There is no extension coming.
Dan Graziano is a LIAR - you guys are FANS of this forum we know what is going on with the contract...THERE IS NO PERMISSION NEEDED.

STOP giving these ESPN analysts clicks - for WRONG INFO

Daks Restructure DC.COM

TwentyOne

Reaction score
this is FALSE - the media doesn't even know what they are saying.

PATRIK NO C WALKER - our WRITER of the DC.COM website has STATED in his article from the DALLAS COWBOYS official site NO PERMISSION WAS NEEDED FOR THIS MOVE

STOP WITH THE DAK WANK JOB
Well what do you expect. This is asocial media. The people posting stuff there are not (quality) journalists. Nor is asocial media meant to support serious journalism.

I wonder that people still read or use this crap. I am just happy that i am old enough to not need this anymore. Poor young people who are raised and socialized/influenced by this.

Verdict

Reaction score
The Jones will 1000% try to get an extension with Dak. The only way it doesn't happen is if Dak doesn't agree to the terms.
Lol. Well, isn’t that the case already?

Dak isn’t agreeing to terms. It’s really that simple.

What we don’t know is if Dak’s number is so unreasonable that the Cowboys simply refuse to tie up that much cap in Dak.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They added two years ago I guess 17.5 the next two years
That’s not correct, the 59 hit this year dropped to 55, but the 36 hit next year is now 40 if he walks.

This can’t be prorated that’s only for June 1 release. Void years through 2028 accelerate into 2025 cap.

Bottom line…..if Dak plays out this year and walks the team eats 40 million all on 2025 cap.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
The Jones will 1000% try to get an extension with Dak. The only way it doesn't happen is if Dak doesn't agree to the terms.
Omg.

Such a triviality. This is like saying water is wet.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That’s not correct, the 59 hit this year dropped to 55, but the 36 hit next year is now 40 if he walks.

This can’t be prorated that’s only for June 1 release. Void years through 2028 accelerate into 2025 cap.

Bottom line…..if Dak plays out this year and walks the team eats 40 million all on 2025 cap.
Yep. I expected us to push a lot more into those void years, so that we'd take the bigger hit next year instead of this year if we didn't work out a new deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This behavior by the cowboys FO makes no sense if they are bent on resigning Dak. They could restructure a lot more knowing that resigning him will lower cap hits anyway, like a clean (or punted) slate.

To me, they can only be behaving this way for a few reasons
1. They want Dak to believe they don’t need to resign him so he will settle for a lower price
2. They are planning on a world where Dak becomes an FA and making it more doable
3. (tin foil hat) they are quietly working a trade with Dak and moving money to make the trades cash considerations more palatable for the other team

If the answer is that they will definitely extend Dak, why such a small amount restructured? They could clear 15-20M and they chose 5
This is a stupid explanation but I’m starting to think it may be some truth to it. I think they want to build this team through the draft. I think they want to collect all of these comp picks.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Can anybody decipher and convert this in to English for us?

I'll even settle for the Hieroglyphs version.

Thanks in advance.
Am I the only one who wonders who made up all the rules , in regards to cap manipulation ?????
I think it is the owners who do it thru some committee.

Is the cap a myth? lol

No it has just been turned into a complicated monster , designed to expand a teams cap anytime they want and pay for it later.

Converting a roster bonus to a signing bonus ! lol
This is a designed manipulation. It should not be allowed because it isnt a signing bonus !!!!!
Void years
A voidable year is an ‘extra’ year on the length of the contract that the team and the player intend to void. In other words, it is a “dummy” year on the contract that the player will never play or get paid for, and it exists for the sole purpose of lowering the annual cap hit, especially in the first year of the contract.
This is essentially legal cheating on the cap and another lie to let a team have more $ than it should have .
The $ does have to be paid for at some point, but it defeats the whole purpose of the cap.

It can work good for a team that has someone good working the cap loopholes, like in phil.
But it can be bad for teams who are not "good" at it.