Dak contract restructured; small cap amount added via bonus

Wangchung83

Reaction score
IF YOU ARE READING THIS THREAD

DAK HATERS ARE GUESSING!!

Remember their shock when they didn't know Prescott had Voidable years???

Dak Haters guess today and goal post shift yesterday news :clap::laugh::lmao::espn:
Well I will just continue to say you must have short term memory problems, the boy still sucks just like he did the year before and seven before that. He sucks, you defending him shows you have a problem with acceptance

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well I will just continue to say you must have short term memory problems, the boy still sucks just like he did the year before and seven before that. He sucks, you defending him shows you have a problem with acceptance
This is the problem with this site. There’s no middle ground. Dak sucks is all posters like you contribute and it’s sad.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Cant believe we have to pay this guy over 55 million this coming year!! It's obvious he'll never win a big game. So frustrating being a fan. Yes, we can win 11 or 12 games a season but never get to the big show. It's kind of like the Bill's of the 90's. Good enough to get there but could never win the big one. Already in free agency we've lost a few but haven't made too many moves. If we stick with what we have it will be an unsuccessful year once again!!!!
LOL dont insult the Bill's of the 90's !!
they were AFC CHAMPIONS 4 years in a row.
They just lost to 3 great NFC teams

heir

Reaction score
Omg.

Such a triviality. This is like saying water is wet.
Lol. I deserve that. I didn't articulate what I was trying to say very well. I feel like I was replying to Mount because he made it seem like the Cowboys have no intention of signing Dak and won't offer him an extension. I was saying, no the Cowboys are dumb enough to offer him a huge extension but Dak might want even more and not agree to it. So in reality, it's not that the Jones are smart, it's that Dak and his agent will always want too dollar.

plymkr

Reaction score
Cowboys are dumb enough to offer him a huge extension but Dak might want even more and not agree to it. So in reality, it's not that the Jones are smart, it's that Dak and his agent will always want too dollar.
This is a good point. I find it odd they are pushing negotiations to TC. I think Dak’s issues off the field may be contributing to that but you bring up a good point. We have no idea what he’s asking for. We are assuming 60+ million APY. Everyone is saying “Dak has all the leverage “ and he does. He could be asking for 70 million a year for all we know. He might greed himself out of Dallas. I wonder if Jerry and DNA are pushing the contract negotiations back to TC to make him sweat a little bit. Or maybe to see how far along Lance has developed. Lance comes out with a massive pre season then that adds a wrinkle to the plot.

Sydla

Reaction score
This behavior by the cowboys FO makes no sense if they are bent on resigning Dak. They could restructure a lot more knowing that resigning him will lower cap hits anyway, like a clean (or punted) slate.

To me, they can only be behaving this way for a few reasons
1. They want Dak to believe they don’t need to resign him so he will settle for a lower price
2. They are planning on a world where Dak becomes an FA and making it more doable
3. (tin foil hat) they are quietly working a trade with Dak and moving money to make the trades cash considerations more palatable for the other team

If the answer is that they will definitely extend Dak, why such a small amount restructured? They could clear 15-20M and they chose 5
What they did has no effect on #3. The fact he was on the roster March 15th meant Dallas was paying him that money. The only thing that changed was how they have to account for it on their cap.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
Yep. I expected us to push a lot more into those void years, so that we'd take the bigger hit next year instead of this year if we didn't work out a new deal.
But why add more void years...wouldn’t just converting his roster bonus to a signing bonus accomplish the same thing? If we don’t agree on a new deal, the added void years mean nothing.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Or the Cowboys front office are in the process of clearing $$ for Huge Defense Player Trade/FA signing??

Can I review this thread in 10 Days???:laugh::laugh:

Dak Haters guess today and goal shift yesterday news??

Please do review , and let us know how the Crow tastes .

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Can anybody decipher and convert this in to English for us?

I'll even settle for the Hieroglyphs version.

Thanks in advance.
They are talking about an extension, but this little bit of money had a deadline on it. It needed to happen quickly or it couldn’t be converted later. So Dak agreed to let them convert it now ahead of the deadline….probably a roster bonus converted to bonus. There is still almost 40 million that can be converted by adding two void years to the contract, which is the Cowboys right. But that would push more money forward. Next year’s salary hit would be 40 million if they add the void years. They want to get a new contract done and lower those numbers.

That’s what I read and heard today.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I mean if they were intent on extending him to save cap space, why even bother with such a miniscule restructure? I mean this would be like changing the oil of an old engine when you plan to replace it anyway.

The reality is no one really knows what the hell they are doing at The Star.
Because this particular part of the contract had a deadline and had to be done now or never. Jerry is no dummy. They cut guys and don’t sign free agents over 1-2 million, so naturally they want to spread this out and save 4 million now.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I take it as the team needing to free up a little space to sign a player or 2, perhaps a RB or OL that they have their eye on.
No, it was all about saving money now, even 4 million before the deadline tied to it. It was simply a now or never situation regarding a small amount in his contract that was easily converted without hurting either party.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Am I the only one who wonders who made up all the rules , in regards to cap manipulation ?????
I think it is the owners who do it thru some committee.

Is the cap a myth? lol

No it has just been turned into a complicated monster , designed to expand a teams cap anytime they want and pay for it later.

Converting a roster bonus to a signing bonus ! lol
This is a designed manipulation. It should not be allowed because it isnt a signing bonus !!!!!
Void years
A voidable year is an ‘extra’ year on the length of the contract that the team and the player intend to void. In other words, it is a “dummy” year on the contract that the player will never play or get paid for, and it exists for the sole purpose of lowering the annual cap hit, especially in the first year of the contract.
This is essentially legal cheating on the cap and another lie to let a team have more $ than it should have .
The $ does have to be paid for at some point, but it defeats the whole purpose of the cap.

It can work good for a team that has someone good working the cap loopholes, like in phil.
But it can be bad for teams who are not "good" at it.
It’s all about the NFL owners and players union and the CBA they negotiate and agree to. Then all the loopholes and manipulation are either things both parties understood and didn’t care about because both benefit from it or loopholes that get closed in the next negotiation.