Dak extension?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Exactly. It’s not if he gets an extension. It’s when.
That's not accurate at all. Even cutting him next season (if he really stinks the place up) isnt out of the question. In 2024 with a post June cut he'd cost $25m against the CAP.....leaving us with $80m to spend.
It's more likely that we restructure some of 2024's money into the 2025 and 2026 Void Years, to give Dak another chance before making the decision.
In effect we're in All-In mode 2023 and 2024 under Dak, if he can't prove it with: the new scheme, play-calling, improved receiver Corp and possibly running game then the decision will be made on his ability and not for CAP purposes.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
37 million cap hit in 2025 if he’s not on the team. No way we eat that.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Now I agree with you that odds are Dak gets extended, but I think the 2024 number is way more of a concern. A $59M cap hit in next season is extremely tough to have on the books,the $37 in 2025 will be peanuts in comparison with a cap that should be north of $280M by then.

I would be shocked if the Cowboys didnt extend Dak by this time next year, if not though watch out. If they land a 2nd round pick like Hendon Hooker really watch out. Dak absolutely has to either be extended or designated as a June 1 cut before free agency opens for 2024.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue he’s already proved it to our ownership. It’s just a segment of our fanbase , media and critics who needs a championship run to prove it.

Otherwise without that championship success are unable to appreciate what the limited success we have had means to an ownership like ours which initial priority is generating interest and relativity to stimulate revenue.

90fNjvH.jpg

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s no reason to extend him this off-season. An extension could happen anytime before his cap # hits the books in the future.

That said, if he plays as poorly or worse this season, no matter what the team does, it might be time to move on. I’m a big Dak fan, but last season was the only bad season I’ve seen. Another bad season is a problem.
However, one can dream that even those who hate him would cross their fingers and hope he has a great year and we go deeper in the playoffs. I think a few will, but some are already on record hoping we are awful. They hate him that badly.
I never hope we're awful
When the whistle blows I'm cheering for Dak
However, until then he's on my yit list.

Nav22

Reaction score
@PAPPYDOG thinks an extension would prevent us from adding more pieces this offseason, people.
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Personally I doubt these fools in the skybox wouid fare any better. Without the likes of Romo and Prescott this era which they lucked into we’d have brilliant draft picks like Quincy Carter, Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch.

We should feel fortunate we’ve even been able to field a playoff caliber team with these bozo’s running Cowboys football who have set a historic futility record in the playoffs this era with 12 consecutive playoffs without a championship appearance going back to the late 1990’s .

Nav22

Reaction score
If they extend him, it further proves they arent serious about winning
When NFL players, coaches, scouts and execs rank him in their top 10s (again), it further proves you Anti-Dakkers have zero understanding about this sport.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
@PAPPYDOG thinks an extension would prevent us from adding more pieces this offseason, people.
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
We’d all love to have one of the Elite QB’s but we have to remember who we have making those decisions . And it’s just not that easy to land one of them .

In the end there’s usually only a handful of Elite QB’s and 32 teams . We could have done much worse than Prescott.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not about to gloat over beating the most epically bad playoff team ever.

EVER. So bad...many want to abolish the automatic bid. Then,,, pooping the bed against the same team two years in a row? Not something to brag about...but...carry on then.
No one is gloating over it, but it was an accomplishment to beat Tom Brady for the first time and win our first road playoff game in 30 years. Winning a road playoff game has been a real struggle for this organization dating back to Troy Aikman’s final years. Say what you will about Dak, but he’s still better than a lot of QBs in the league. If it was up to some of the fans on this board, we would be in the same boat as Washington, and a few other teams that don’t have a viable QB. It would be great to have a Patrick Mahomes but QBs of that caliber don’t grow on trees.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When NFL players, coaches, scouts and execs rank him in their top 10s (again), it further proves you Anti-Dakkers have zero understanding about this sport.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
What concerns me is our QB appears to be the only issue they have with our team and organization .

And why it becomes more like trolling Cowboys Nation that just another critique .

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Cowboys added two "ghost" years to Dak's deal in 2021 so they can push money down the road into future seasons with the idea of eventually getting another extension done.

They will have an "out" after two more seasons so as others have said, it's probably way too early to be having this discussion.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
We’d all love to have one of the Elite QB’s but we have to remember who we have making those decisions . And it’s just not that easy to land one of them .

In the end there’s usually only a handful of Elite QB’s and 32 teams . We could have done much worse than Prescott.
I don’t think we could have done worse. If he had turned elite that would have been great and this year we would have been in the NFCCG. If he had been bad, they would have been forced to make a change to upgrade. Instead, he has been average and inconsistent - has some great games and some bad games and usually looks good against bad teams. Thus, our hillbilly owners got fooled and we got stats and winning records (beating a lot of bad teams) and playoff flameouts.

Swagger

Reaction score
That's not accurate at all. Even cutting him next season (if he really stinks the place up) isnt out of the question. In 2024 with a post June cut he'd cost $25m against the CAP.....leaving us with $80m to spend.
It's more likely that we restructure some of 2024's money into the 2025 and 2026 Void Years, to give Dak another chance before making the decision.
In effect we're in All-In mode 2023 and 2024 under Dak, if he can't prove it with: the new scheme, play-calling, improved receiver Corp and possibly running game then the decision will be made on his ability and not for CAP purposes.
It amuses me at how people (not yourself - appreciate your insight on the cap far better than mine) seem to think Prescott is an asset for the team is a positive influence and game changer play maker. The reality is that a practice squad QB in Cooper Rush going 4-1 last season only losing to a Superbowl team showed how strong the roster actually is. The team inspite of Prescott. He flourishes when receivers are wide open and he has all day to throw the ball - like any NFL starter. But when the money is on the line against a good team he falls flat on his face like vs 49ers the past two post seasons.

The question is if the defense can carry him and make him look better than he actually is. A lot of that will come down to the health of blue chip defenders and the depth on D.

How Prescott plays is largely irrelevant. It will be same as usual. Next season is about the D carrying him again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t think we could have done worse. If he had turned elite that would have been great and this year we would have been in the NFCCG. If he had been bad, they would have been forced to make a change to upgrade. Instead, he has been average and inconsistent - has some great games and some bad games and usually looks good against bad teams. Thus, our hillbilly owners got fooled and we got stats and winning records (beating a lot of bad teams) and playoff flameouts.
Understood but what makes us think our idiotic owners would do better ?

Regardless , interesting and relative is all they need to keep the revenue train going.

Qcard

Reaction score
From all the off-season moves so far I feel that a Dak extension is a long shot at best.
They have enough now for 1 move decent FA and the new Draft pool unless I missed something here.

Prove it (Please Finally) or lose it season coming up for Mr.Prescott.
Why do you folks entertain these Dak Haters…. @PAPPYDOG was clueless September 1st 2019 and he’ll be clueless September 1st 2023

Dak Haters are WRONG:lmao::lmao::lmao:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/what-is-todd-france-of-creative-artist-agency-football-doing.438994/

I mean common Todd your client Dak is entering the season without a deal?
Where's the Beef Todd????
Todd you failed as hopes are very low that Dak will be able to verify the big bucks (40Mill) you asked for this coming season unless he has a stellar season. Your commissions will be minimal as mattress commercials aren't breaking the bank.
And Todd if your thinking Tag time....FORGET IT not even Jerry is paying 35 million to tag Dak.

If I was Dak I would have fired Todd 2 months ago.....

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Nav22 and Qcard sure do love them some emoji's. It's like little kids in a candy store, it's so damn cute or embarrassing for some supposed adult mature boys to act like that. lmao. I guess it makes them feel strong, when in reality it's very immature, but then I just have to consider the source of their love.

I wonder which one of them would win in a race car...?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The Cowboys have put themselves in a position where Dak's extension is more of a question of when and not if.