Dak extension?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From all the off-season moves so far I feel that a Dak extension is a long shot at best.
They have enough now for 1 move decent FA and the new Draft pool unless I missed something here.
Prove it (Please Finally) or lose it season coming up for Mr.Prescott.

conner01

Reaction score
From all the off-season moves so far I feel that a Dak extension is a long shot at best.
They have enough now for 1 move decent FA and the new Draft pool unless I missed something here.
Extending him would probably lower his cap number even more
I think they are probably talking already in some capacity. It will be more expensive than it would have been before the restructure but they could easily extend him now if they wanted to and he wanted to. He might want to hit the market again, he has a history of betting on himself

phildadon86

Reaction score
Remember when you said there was NO WAY the FO would extend him? LOL

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
With the way they restructured his deal, they have to extend him. We won’t have enough cap space next year to field a tesm.
I think this is right. The only other option would be for Dallas to clean house and take a rebuild year with a new coaching staff. Sell off some assets and take the 5-12 year to position yourself for a top qb the following year. Doesn’t feel like a realistic strategy for an 80 year old jerry Jones though.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They restructured his contract for 2023.

Probably no extension until 2024.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Extending him would probably lower his cap number even more
I think they are probably talking already in some capacity. It will be more expensive than it would have been before the restructure but they could easily extend him now if they wanted to and he wanted to. He might want to hit the market again, he has a history of betting on himself
No it wouldn't. There is nothing to lower at this point. His salary is currently only $1.7M It would actually raise his cap hit by 1/5 of his SB.
An extension would probably go hand in hand with lowering next years salary and adding 1/5 of the SB there too, but next year wouldn't be a priority right now. I doubt they would have restructured him if they were planning on extending him

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember when you said there was NO WAY the FO would extend him? LOL
good-times.gif

Ken

Reaction score
They still have 11 mill more coming in june from Zeke.

They can free up money if they need to. Not to get another WR like the uninformed want but a guy like Deforrest Buckner....now that would be something they would move money for.

Jarntt

Reaction score
They still have 11 mill more coming in june from Zeke.

They can free up money if they need to. Not to get another WR like the uninformed want but a guy like Deforrest Buckner....now that would be something they would move money for.
I don't see any chance that happens right now. But wouldn't be shocked if he is available at the trade deadline if Indy doesn't get a QB and is out of it and we kick the tires then.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with this, he does need to prove it. I hope he does, I don't want to go into a rebuild....

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will get extended but probably for the wrong reasons. They write the bigger contracts with the intention of using the player as a bank. I wish they’d get out from under that strategy and “catch up their books” but won’t happen. I believe if extended, it should be for performance and not relief in a particular year.

I get that other teams do the same but my impression is that the Cowboys have a reliance on it more than most. That’s anecdotal and I could be very wrong.

JBS

Reaction score
Yes. The cowboys are going to let Dak hit 60M against the cap next season

Lololol. Not a chance in hell. We are stuck. Accept it and move on.

Less than 0% chance he isn’t extended