Dak gets another Top 5 ranking

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's always been the problem with QBR. A QB that wins the game through great play in the first 3 quarters somehow finishes behind the losing QB that tries to make a comeback in the 4th because that QB played better in the 4th then the 1st three quarters.

As I said, It's just a stat that Dak has Cousins beat in, just like Cousins has Dak beat in passer rating.

This all weirdly proves my point though. If you have to pick and chose things that Dak is better in doesn't that prove that Dak is not clear cut, head and shoulders better than Cousins as most here would like to think?

Did you even read what I posted? Let me repeat:
  • There is a discount on garbage time, or a time where the score is out of reach near the end of the game.

The 4th quarter is DISCOUNTED, meaning it's emphasized LESS. Why do you continue to insist a 4th quarter comeback quarterback gets an advantage over one that doesn't have to come back?

It doesn't.

But I do agree, it's just stats, neither one is head and shoulders above the other as far as numbers go, I have no problem saying they're at least comparable, though I do think Dak is the better overall quarterback....

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
so its about yards and stats then? not about wins? seems like you changed your tune. Dak had 4900 in 2019 and well on his way to 5000 in 2020 before the injury....so are we now using passing yards and TDs as a measure of a QB? the constant shifting of the target is confusing :rolleyes:
Well, to be fair, you are easily confused.

BigD_95

Reaction score
These days it's really hard to find anyone who don't rank him from #5-7. Sure we weren't winning, but Quarterbacks have struggled even under good conditions - and with good receivers. (like Kirk Cousins has a really good supporting cast, but he's still middle of the pack)

Dak was ripping it in all of the games he actually played in last year. The only one he looked merely decent was against the #1 defense.... the Rams. I can totally see why he's Top 5. Everyone else but the Top 6 has looked horrible at times last year.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2021/6/1/22445936/nfl-quarterbacks-ranked-2021-qb-rankings-starters

No. 5: Dak Prescott — Cowboys

It’s so weird to think of a Dallas Cowboys quarterback flying under the radar, but it feels like Prescott is the best quarterback people don’t really talk about when it comes to the NFL’s best passers. This is probably due (in part) to a year of Cowboys fans saying Dak wasn’t that good because he didn’t sign a low-ball offer, now needing to pivot into championing him again.

No. 4: Deshaun Watson — Texans
Honestly, I don’t know what Watson’s situation will be in 2021. There’s a pending league investigation into allegations of sexual assault, and that could mean he’s suspended for a significant amount of time. However, if we look purely at on-field play he remains one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, even on the league’s most dysfunctional roster.

No. 3: Tom Brady — Bucs
Brady is past the point where he’ll be a stat-stuffing God, but until someone else proves it he’s still the best pure winner at the position in football. With the support around him in Tampa Bay, there’s nothing preventing him from having another great season, perhaps even taking the Buccaneers back to the Super Bowl.

No. 2: Patrick Mahomes — Chiefs
It’s Pat Mahomes. Nuff said, really. Seriously though, crushing Super Bowl loss aside, the Chiefs have made moves to get Mahomes more protection, which feels like the only thing holding him back from throwing for 5,000 yards a season like it’s nothing.

No. 1: Aaron Rodgers — Packers
Rodgers is the reigning MVP, sure — but this is also a product of him doing so much with such little support. For Rodgers to actually be the top quarterback again in 2021 could depend on where he plays, but I have a feeling enough will be done to keep him in Green Bay and get him some help.

Is he really top 5 or will his numbers be top 5 because of the offense he plays in? Not many QB will get to play with 3 top WR, 2 capable TE, 2 good RB. With a healthy O-line Dak should have crazy numbers. Just think what Rodgers would do on this team. He might get bored it would be so easy.

With that said I do think Dak is a good QB.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Is he really top 5 or will his numbers be top 5 because of the offense he plays in? Not many QB will get to play with 3 top WR, 2 capable TE, 2 good RB. With a healthy O-line Dak should have crazy numbers. Just think what Rodgers would do on this team. He might get bored it would be so easy.

With that said I do think Dak is a good QB.
Rogers would avg 450 yards a game and 3 TD's in this Offense. They would probably only punt once a game.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
what did Jimmy say about Dak?
Read my signature. lol.

"Jimmy Johnson: Cowboys QB Dak 'Can't Carry A Team' To Super Bowl. ... I like Dak,'' said Johnson, speaking to Colin Cowherd on FSI. "I think he can win you a championship if he has great players around him. I don't think Dak can carry a football team if he doesn't have great players around him."

When's top 5 going to beat somebody in a throwing contest? Garrett's still waiting.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yep Dak is in the second tier of QB's. 8-13 range. But paid as the 1

Dak is getting to the experience level where he should be great, IF he's ever going to be. Garrett is gone as well. Though it might take a full season for Dak to get settled in with McCarthy, and get fully in sync with Lamb, among other things.

But he's running out of time to get this team to a championship level, as far as his play is concerned. The pay isn't an issue to me, we already heard that the cap next year will be about $10 mil over 2019, as the cap goes up his cap %age drops, we'll see if it was a good investment in the next couple of years....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It's so funny that you mention Kirk Cousins, because Kirk Cousins will consistently give you around 4,300 yards, around 30 TDs and around 10 INTs every single year.

Dak has put up those types of numbers ONCE, but Kirk is middle of the pack and Dak is top 5, ahead of guys like Allen and Wilson......
Kirk Cousins has thrown for 4,300 yards one time. He has thrown for 30 TDs twice, he has not done both in the same season, and he's been in the league twice as long as Dak lol.

Number of seasons with 4,900 pass yards and 30 passing TDs. Dak 1, Kirk 0.

Shut up with this garbage.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't see how any of this proves Dak is better.

You just brought up a bunch of team failures and blamed them on Cousins. If Dak had any success then I could see it, but he doesn't. They both have the same amount of playoff wins.
wait, now you moved the target again...you blamed Dak for team failures and not accomplishing and his record and his playoff record. now you say I am blaming Cousins for team failures... I should have known we are using two different measuring sticks....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
TDL that missing a season due to injury means you're "ascending".

Daks stats are not better then Cousins.

I'd pick Dak because he is younger, but not because he is clearly better. There's a few QBs I would pick Dak over simply because of age instead of ability. Dak might not be at their level yet, but i'd take the chance on Dak reaching that level instead of a player already past their peak.
Dak is ascending...injury or not....

Dak's stats across all the stats are better than cousins.....no denying that fact.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Kirk Cousins has thrown for 4,300 yards one time. He has thrown for 30 TDs one time. They were not in the same season, and he's been in the league twice as long as Dak lol.

Number of seasons with 4,900 pass yards and 30 passing TDs. Dak 1, Kirk 0.

Shut up with this garbage.

I think you missed one important word in the post - "around". The post didn't say "exactly" or "at least".
Would depend on one's definition of "around", but a 10% deviation would give us a range of 27 to 33 tds, and Cousins has been in that range 4 of the 6 years he's been a full time starter.

Of course it's just numbers, by themselves it proves little, I'll give you that....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dak is ascending...injury or not....

Oh yes, I agree.

Dak's stats across all the stats are better than cousins.....no denying that fact.

Well, yes there is. It's a fact that Cousins has a 67.0 completion percentage, Dak 66.0. Dak's is not better. That's the fact.

Cousins has 5 of 6 seasons with over 4,000 yards passing, 83%, Dak 1 of 4, 25%, (not including last year of course). Dak's is not better. That's the fact.

Cousin's rating for his career is 97.9, Dak's is 97.3. Not a statistically significant difference, obviously, but better is a fact.

So Dak's stats are not ALL better....

johneric8

Reaction score
And the pre-season accolades continue. Too bad he has to actually win games at some point or we'd be looking pretty set.
There we go again with "HE" needs to win games.. LOL.... In case you didn't notice, we were shackled to the freckled puppet (garrett) for the first half of Prescott's career and last year we had the worst defense in NFL history.. BUT, go ahead and stay with the "HE" needs to do it all himself bit...:facepalm::huh:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There we go again with "HE" needs to win games.. LOL.... In case you didn't notice, we were shackled to the freckled puppet (garrett) for the first half of Prescott's career and last year we had the worst defense in NFL history.. BUT, go ahead and stay with the "HE" needs to do it all himself bit...:facepalm::huh:

We'll find out this year (barring long term injury to Dak or 40% of the o-line again) just how much Garrett hurt, or helped, Dak and this offense....

johneric8

Reaction score
We'll find out this year (barring long term injury to Dak or 40% of the o-line again) just how much Garrett hurt, or helped, Dak and this offense....
I honestly think it's important to evaluate Prescott on his stats and they're among some of the best the NFL has ever seen. The wins and losses are a team stat so I don't put much stock in them. Prescott has shown so far he is one of the best QB's this team has fielded. Just take a look at how guys like Aaron Roger and Mahomes do when they have poor defenses or suspect coaching, it's not very good... Hell, even Drew Brees looked bad the years his team sucked or the coaching couldn't lift them up.

You're right though, the injury could rob Dak of his abilities but I doubt it, but in terms of Dak still having to prove he is a great QB is long since passed.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think you missed one important word in the post - "around". The post didn't say "exactly" or "at least".
Would depend on one's definition of "around", but a 10% deviation would give us a range of 27 to 33 tds, and Cousins has been in that range 4 of the 6 years he's been a full time starter.

Of course it's just numbers, by themselves it proves little, I'll give you that....
No, I saw it, but it's nonsense because it's still false. In the last 4 seasons, Cousins has thrown for 4093, 4298, 3603, 4265.

He's not "around" 4300 and 30. He's not 4300 anything, and he's certainly not giving you 4,300 and 30 - or even around there - every single year. I mean, if we're just ballparking, we can just say Dak is around 5,100 and 35 total TDs because his 16-game pace over the last two seasons (21 games).