Dak gets another Top 5 ranking

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The 4th quarter is VERY overweighed in QBR and everyone knows it. That's always been the criticism with it. You can play terrible for 3 quarters, but put up a bunch of empty garbage time stats and get a better QB then the QB that actually won the game.

You don't see me bringing up that Cousins has a better career passer rating then Dak (he does), because again, it's too flawed.
because games are won and lost in the 4th quarter...most NFL games go into the 4th quarter within a score or so. a QB that has ability to raise his game in the 4th and pull out wins, vs. Cousins who folds like a cheap chair, tightens up and screws up in the 4th. Cousins folded in close games . that was his reputation in DC and that's why they dumped him.

and if you are within 3 points with 3 minutes to go. is that empty stats? that's a losing argument. garbage time is like Dalton against AZ, down by 4 TDs and scoring a TD late in the 4th quarter.....I expected more from you than this garbage

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's always been the problem with QBR. A QB that wins the game through great play in the first 3 quarters somehow finishes behind the losing QB that tries to make a comeback in the 4th because that QB played better in the 4th then the 1st three quarters.

As I said, It's just a stat that Dak has Cousins beat in, just like Cousins has Dak beat in passer rating.

This all weirdly proves my point though. If you have to pick and chose things that Dak is better in doesn't that prove that Dak is not clear cut, head and shoulders better than Cousins as most here would like to think?
so a stat that doesn't fit your argument at hand is to be dismissed. right? like I said, moving target based on the argument. no consistency

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Russell Wilson had the most passing TDs ever through 3 games last year.

He finished 15 TDs short of the record and tied for 2nd in the league.

Why people really think Dak was going to keep that pace is insane to me. All I know is this, they sure are setting the bar high for him this season.
so I guess russell wilson is over rated?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even with losing Marshawn, even with “losing his defense”, as you say, Russell Wilson has 9 winning seasons in 9 years. Peyton Never did that, he had a few clunkers early. Montana actually has 4 losing seasons in which started at least 1 game.

The only other player in NFL history to match Russell’s streak is Tom Brady. It’s pretty unbelievable. 98 wins in 9 years. If he goes 12-4 again, he’ll average 11 wins a season. Seahawks may have good coaching and roster development, but that takes of a lot of good QBing to maintain
Staubach never had a losing season . 1971-1979.
9 straight winning seasons. No losing seasons.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
well, cousins went back to the bench after starter came back!! remember....he couldn't keep the job.... Dak got on the field, never left...see the difference?

he has played more years, thus accumulated more stats....give Dak 4 years, then lets compare....
I still can't believe you said that Cousins couldn't see the field without an injury while defending Dak! The 4th round pick literally known as a success story because he got a shot after an injury to the starter AND back up! If Romo was the young, 1st round starting QB instead an old, injury prone QB Dak would have never kept that job. Romo literally retired after the 2016 season.

Your argument in this is like me saying well Kirk was the back up while Dak was 3rd string! Therefore, Kirk is clearly better! Yes, that's not a good argument, just like your outlandish "well, Kirk only got the job cause of an injury...." argument.

I think you lost this one the minute you somehow found a way to criticize Kirk for the same thing Dak did, bud.

You do have some good points sometimes, but this was not one of them. This was a reach that did not work.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
because games are won and lost in the 4th quarter...most NFL games go into the 4th quarter within a score or so. a QB that has ability to raise his game in the 4th and pull out wins, vs. Cousins who folds like a cheap chair, tightens up and screws up in the 4th. Cousins folded in close games . that was his reputation in DC and that's why they dumped him.

and if you are within 3 points with 3 minutes to go. is that empty stats? that's a losing argument. garbage time is like Dalton against AZ, down by 4 TDs and scoring a TD late in the 4th quarter.....I expected more from you than this garbage
Do you think passer rating is a bad metric? Because Cousins in ahead of Dak in that one?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A top 5 ranking is not outlandish. Most experts and analysis have him around the 6th-8th ranking.

I’d challenge anyone to find a link that has him out of the top 10.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
so a stat that doesn't fit your argument at hand is to be dismissed. right? like I said, moving target based on the argument. no consistency
The fact that you have to pick and chose your preferred metrics of choice that show Dak is better proves that he is not an elite QB.

If Cousins is "middle of the pack" and you have to pick something as flawed as QBR to show Dak is much better, because you can't show it with anything else really, proves my entire point for me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nice, I’ll add him to the list the next time I need that stat
There might be more. I just knew that off the top of my head.

Wilson holds the record for most consecutive winning season to begin a career with 9. But there are probably more who have had 9 consecutive winning seasons. You just didn’t word it correctly.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I still can't believe you said that Cousins couldn't see the field without an injury while defending Dak! The 4th round pick literally known as a success story because he got a shot after an injury to the starter AND back up! If Romo was the young, 1st round starting QB instead an old, injury prone QB Dak would have never kept that job. Romo literally retired after the 2016 season.

Your argument in this is like me saying well Kirk was the back up while Dak was 3rd string! Therefore, Kirk is clearly better! Yes, that's not a good argument, just like your outlandish "well, Kirk only got the job cause of an injury...." argument.

I think you lost this one the minute you somehow found a way to criticize Kirk for the same thing Dak did, bud.

You do have some good points sometimes, but this was not one of them. This was a reach that did not work.
well, slight correction on my part...what I meant cousins couldn't stay on the field despite injury to the starting QB...he got sent back to the bench, when Dak helped Romo retire from football....Dak got the hold of the starting position and never let go.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I simply point that out about Wilson to show that it doesn't matter what you're on pace for 3 weeks into a season.

Shew, you're off your game today. You're reaching big time on your points today.
I agree, Dak wouldn't have needed to keep that pace. we played 3 playoff teams and the defense was a total mess early in the season. the schedule got easier and we probably wouldn't have needed to play metal to the pedal like we did early in the season....but he probably would have been in the 5000 range. given he had almost 1900 yards and needed 3200 in 11.5 games.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
well, slight correction on my part...what I meant cousins couldn't stay on the field despite injury to the starting QB...he got sent back to the bench, when Dak helped Romo retire from football....Dak got the hold of the starting position and never let go.
You're reaching for something, anything one this one, huh?

Do you really in your heart of hearts believe that Washington was just going to give up on their NUMBER 2 overall pick the same way the Cowboys moved on from their old, injury prone QB? You cannot possible believe this is the same kind of scenario.

No matter how you try and twist it it's still a terrible point and proves nothing. It's still the equivalent of saying "Well, Kirk was the back up and Dak was 3rd string, therefore Kirk is better".

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The fact that you have to pick and chose your preferred metrics of choice that show Dak is better proves that he is not an elite QB.

If Cousins is "middle of the pack" and you have to pick something as flawed as QBR to show Dak is much better, because you can't show it with anything else really, proves my entire point for me.
wait, you accuse me of what you do, so as a means to turn the table....I simply discredited your approach with specific metrics you use in different argument. as a matter of fact, I have said in the past, one measure doesn't matter, because there is a combination of factors to consider.

I have never said Dak is elite, so that craap doesn't stick...don't even try to go there.

Dak is a better QB than Cousins. everyone and I mean EVERYONE in the NFL and EVERY analyst with football background says so....show me one....one legit analyst or legit football person that says Cousins is a better QB.....ONE

now, don't go pulling skip bayless...if you do, I will lose any little respect I had for you

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I agree, Dak wouldn't have needed to keep that pace. we played 3 playoff teams and the defense was a total mess early in the season. the schedule got easier and we probably wouldn't have needed to play metal to the pedal like we did early in the season....but he probably would have been in the 5000 range. given he had almost 1900 yards and needed 3200 in 11.5 games.
I agree. I think he would have went over 5,000 yards also, but you just never know. He looked like he was going to in 2019 until he feel off a little and finished just short of 5,000.